[Release] VEGAS Pro 17 – The fastest NLE. For passionate creatives.

Comments

D7K wrote on 8/8/2019, 8:51 AM

I just did a test on my laptop and screen capture scambles the image (better than no image at all on my Desktiop:

MathiasH Machine specs:

Laptop i5 8 gig memory 250 gig SSD HP Elite Book

Desktop i7700 4200 hz 32 gig Ram AMD RX480 8 gig 500 SSD 14 TB spinners 50" 4K TV as monitor

If I need to post a tech support ticket please let me know. Would also beta a new version of screen capture on both setups.

DesertSweeper wrote on 8/8/2019, 10:25 AM

I have no problem running it on Windows 7 despite the warning I get that it is "unsupported". It sees my iGPU and renders WAY faster than 16 on the same box. In fact it brings H264 render speeds on my lowly i7-7700K to not far off what I get on my 7800K with Windows 10. They have really improved the QSV render usage in this new version

RonB_USA wrote on 8/8/2019, 11:14 AM

Just downloaded VP17 Suite last night and the first, quick test was awesome! Using the same 4K 60Mbps XAVC-S clip that I had used to produce an HD project the day before with VP16 Suite yielded a much cleaner and faster editing experience with no stuttering. Important is that with the new software I used NO Proxy during the brief test! I seem to be getting just as good results with NO Proxy V17 as I did with Proxy V16. Project and Preview: 3840x2160x32 and Preview Display was 848x477x32 with no stuttering. HUGE savings by not having to upgrade my computer as I had planned. I'm using an older Intel i7 930 with 24 RAM and Radeon HD 5850 slightly overclocked. So far, so good! Time will tell. But this new software may actually reduce the computer requirements for 4K. Is that possible?! It must be more efficiently using combinations of CPU, RAM and GPU.

RonB_USA

Operating System: Windows 10 Pro

Dual Monitors: Now have TWO Samsung 4K 27-in (3840x2160) monitors both using DisplayPort

Desktop Sound: Stereo speakers with sub-woofer. Headphones. Earbuds.

VEGAS Pro 21.0, version 208. Have used VEGAS Pro since Sony days. Movie Studio also.

Voukoder 1.7.1.0

Source Footage: Mostly XAVC-S 4K MP4 with some MTS HD at times. Have used Samsung S21Ultra 5G footage.

Some upscaling of older videos. Many videos are more than 10 years old. Trying to learn more color correction and grading techniques. Any help with flicker reduction without motion blur is welcome!

Motherboard: ASUS PRIME X299-A II (3.7GHz)

CPU: Intel i9-10920X 12 Core 24 Thread

GPU: Quadro RTX-4000 8GB

RAM: 64GB DDR4

C-Drive SSD: M.2 2TB + Video SSDs: Two M.2 2TB + Internal HDDs: Several TB + External HDDs + External SSDs

DesertSweeper wrote on 8/8/2019, 11:32 AM

But this new software may actually reduce the computer requirements for 4K. Is that possible?! It must be more efficiently using combinations of CPU, RAM and GPU.

Yes it absolutely does - read my testing comments. It will breathe new life into old hardware

nickfrom wrote on 8/8/2019, 1:00 PM

Any update yet on if V17 can handle 180 3D VR? A number of cameras now offer this, and while I can utilize Evo's free 5.7k 180 3D editor, obviously would prefer to use Vegas.

(Not trying the free V17 trial yet after reading about the issues, but am sure Magix will soon fix those)

Hi Greg, I have updated primarily for the higher resolution support. I can create a 5.7K project but so far have not been able to render out in anything higher than 4096, although I haven't tried all the formats yet. I am trying 1st with 360 degree footage, have not tried it with 3d 180 yet. ps. If you're happy with 4096 I believe you can edit and export in 3D 180 since about version 13 or 14.

nickfrom wrote on 8/8/2019, 1:03 PM

Has anybody managed to render a project in resolution higher than 4096? I am able to create a project in 5.7K but so far render defaults back to 4096 (HEVC/AAC)

Marco. wrote on 8/8/2019, 1:08 PM

Yes, I can render 8k if I set the project properties to 8k and then use HEVC as renderer. There are some 8k render presets then.

Caylyn wrote on 8/8/2019, 4:18 PM

It's taken me awhile to get some of my VegasPro16 projects to open in VegasPro17. After upgrading and reinstalling some plugins, it appears they are all working fine now with the exception of HitFilm's Ignite or any of the HitFilm plugins. Vegas16Pro still works with them all after my upgrading, uninstalling, and reinstalling, but nothing from the HitFilm/FXHome ofx's are working. Is anyone else experiencing this? Perhaps I'm doing something wrong? A check or un-check a box somewhere (as I had to do to view .mov in the Deprecated Features)? Is this something that I will have to buy the VegasPost program to actually be able to access anything HitFilm? Any info or help on this issue is appreciated. Thanking you in advance for your help.

Other than this issue, so far so good with VP17! I haven't spent too much time trying new things with VP17 just yet, but I'm really impressed with what I have used so far. Good Job Vegas Team! :-)

mikelinton wrote on 8/8/2019, 10:30 PM

Looking good so far - had some issues getting it to load off the hop (turned it out was Boris Continuum from V16 that was causing issues - so uninstalled it). The only complaint I have so far is you can't seem to move the color grading window at all. Stoked about having it, don't get me wrong, but it does feel a bit 'tacked on' and not part of the overall dock/window system that Vegas uses. It'll definitely save a ton of mouse clicks though - we shoot entirely SLOG 2/3 and no doubt will save us a ton of time in the long run compared to adding curves and color correction plugins etc. Thanks for that!!

Carl-G wrote on 8/8/2019, 11:49 PM

I like the Boris Contiuum I have in V16. I confirmed with both Vegas and Boris people that there is a known incompatibility with previous Boris products and VP17. The Boris built for V16 will (if not, likely will) crash VP17 or prevent it from even starting! The only option (according to Vegas and Boris) is to UNinstall all previous Boris products if you are having problems starting VP17. As soon as I UNinstalled all Boris products, then my VP17 would start! Now I can install the new updated Boris products. Fortunately, it's the same package (but updated)that came with VP16 - so, I found nothing is lost in the upgrade.

OldaC wrote on 8/9/2019, 1:23 AM

I found, that I can't open a lot of projects from Vegas 16. πŸ™
Sometimes without any details ...

sometimes with description ...

Β 

NeatVideo Plugin v4.x is not compatible with Vegas 17 (missing plugin), but NeatVideo 3.4.x is working (surprisingly).

Marco. wrote on 8/9/2019, 3:00 AM

This is a know issue. Some 3rd party plug-in makers need to adopt their plug-ins for Vegas Pro 17. NeatVideo already updated their current version 5. HitFilm will do.

OldaC wrote on 8/10/2019, 2:34 AM

Ok, but sometimes, there is no detail message just "unsupported format" for *.veg file. I do not know, if the missing plugin is the reason.

Teagan wrote on 8/10/2019, 3:17 PM

I'm having trouble getting the preview window to work. I am working with HLG HEVC 10 bit 4k 200Mb/s 60p video and even tried the 8 bit non HLG version and I can not get anything to preview correctly. I tried some regular AVC video from some website and it showed fine.

I first tried without video proxy and no change. I then tried putting the pixel format to 32 bit full range but no real change. (and messed around with the color settings with nothing helping - also note I am new to this)

I am getting flickering low quality images shown and also, with hardware acceleration turned off, I get a green screen only. I tried single card mode and then Nvidia Geforce Experience kicked in and started seeing the video preview as a game to start auto capturing.

i7 8700k @ 4.3Ghz

Nvidia GTX 1080 (2 in SLI)

32GB ram at 3600Mhz

M.2 NVME 512GB (all media on this)

Nvidia driver: 431.60

UPDATE: I opened the program with compatibility mode for windows 8 as per the troubleshooter and I now get picture with the hlg footage but only with hardware acceleration disabled, for my graphics cards. It's laggy and won't show properly but I got a full image.

UPDATE 2: While hardware acceleration is disabled and I enable 32 bit floating point Full range for the HLG footage, I get perfect picture (draft quality on lowest, because of the CPU bottleneck).

UPDATE 3: Went back to non-compatibility mode and my HLG footage will only show when hardware acceleration is disabled. The default 8 bit color setting allows it to play fine. The change to 32 bit floating point full range works as well.

UPDATE 4: Disabled SLI and tried hardware acceleration with both cards and still won't play my video file in preview (renders fine) without hardware acceleration disabled.

UPDATE 5: I installed the trial on my laptop and it works fine with default settings with the same video file. Displays perfectly in the preview window. The only main difference between the two machine is SLI.

Here's what the file information for the HLG footage from my Panasonic AG-CX350: (from MediaInfo that comes with the KLite codec pack)

Β 

wsd wrote on 8/10/2019, 7:31 PM

any updates to the support of AVC-I 4K and AVC-I LT from Panasonic?

redpaw wrote on 8/11/2019, 12:18 PM

Trimmer in VP 17:

The ruler, scrollbar, and zoom controls are not accesible. Not possible to drag the horizontal splitter between the video monitor and the Trimmer timeline to adjust the height of the timeline...

Trimmer timeline VP 17:

Trimmer timeline VP 16:

same here. very annoying

vkmast wrote on 8/11/2019, 1:24 PM

@redpawΒ  from the dev this comment. See also this thread.

Blaque wrote on 8/12/2019, 3:43 PM

thank you for the information ! pretty sure you're not allowed (lol) to answer this, but as someone possibly interested by Vegas effects, is it the right moment to upgrade to Vegas Pro 17 or better is to wait the release of Post to see the crossgrade price or any possibility of that kind (i'm only interested by the video Effects additionnal software).

To everybody who wants to buy VEGAS Pro 17 and is asking if they have the possibility to later upgrade to VEGAS POST:

As soon as VEGAS POST is released, you can reply to your order confirmation of VEGAS Pro 17 and you will get VEGAS POST (of course you have to pay the difference).

So just to be clear, if I just paid $349 for VP17 Suite and would like to upgrade to VEGAS Post I would need to pay the $200 difference of the "Upgrade price" ($549) and not the $650 difference of the "New Purchase" price ($999) correct?

Thanks in advance for clarification on this.

FireStorm wrote on 8/13/2019, 6:59 PM

Congrats! This is a great release and a big step in the right direction.

I have always loved the Vegas Pro interface, colour scheme and its customization. In the new versions, I can't help but feel the plug-in's that come with Vegas feel a bit archaic now.

Maybe some larger, stylus-friendly buttons. Panels that can fill out new high-resolution monitors.

Hopefully they will be upgraded without sacrificing that "Vegas Feel".

Well done.

PeteM wrote on 8/17/2019, 9:04 AM

Still needs Blackmagic Raw support.

JoeAustin wrote on 8/18/2019, 11:21 AM

I pulled the trigger, and upgraded from VP 15 to VP 17. I was so pleasantly surprised how much smoother the timeline was. This has been a key issue for me, and led me to consider buying some expensive new hardware, and even consider moving to another NLE. I then realized something. I had an instance of VP 15 doing a render in the background the entire time! Yep, 17 was smoother than 15 in spite of a whole other instance of Vegas doing a MP4 render. And RAM preview works once again too! Never got it to to work in 15. So glad to have that back.

Β 

hessam wrote on 8/19/2019, 2:17 AM

first impressions :

- had to remove boris fx plugin to lunch the Vegas 17

- trimmer timeline height not scalable. it's too short right now.

- usual and frightening crashes with GH5 4k 60fps 8bit. with SO4 setting TRUE or FALSE

- not able to import MOV files with alpha channel. it says an error occurred. say you are opening a project from VEG16 that had MOV files with alpha (rendered in AME with QuickTim > Animation> RGB+Alpha), it wont import that file and you are forced to open MP4 Variation and use "Screen" composition mode.

Disappointing!

EDIT :
- Undo Performance is a huge pain. it takes too long to undo and sometimes give an error message relating to undo buffer.

digfish wrote on 8/20/2019, 1:49 AM

Where do you download the installer. I want to test 17 before spending money upgrading? - Having purchased 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16 in the past I can wait...

vkmast wrote on 8/20/2019, 2:12 AM

If you mean Vegas Pro 17, trials are available. Scroll down the product page to see this