Strange bars/artifacting in timeline playback & renders on new laptop

hambonio wrote on 8/31/2017, 7:54 PM

I just purchased a new laptop yesterday as I am starting to get requests for a SDE at weddings.

When I load clips into the Vegas Pro 14 timeline, there is strange blocking/banding going on throughout the image. I was kind of hoping it was just the timeline playback but if I render out a file, the blocking and banding seems to be baked into the final file. If I use windows media player or other players to play back the original files they play fine, the issue only happens when I load into Vegas Pro. I am including a short sample here, does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it?

Alienware 17 R4

i7-7820HK

GTX 1070 8GB

128GB M.2 + 1TB Storage drive

16GB RAM

Windows 10 Home

Comments

hambonio wrote on 8/31/2017, 9:07 PM

This particular clip was rendered off an XAVCS 4K that was previously rendered in Vegas. The original files came off of Sony a7sii and Sony a7rii XAVCS 4k 100m file. This is what I got from media info on the file I rendered the clip from:

General

Complete name :D:\Reception9 GM AND TOASTS RC1 Dani Brock_Sony XAVC - XAVC S_XAVC S Long 3840x2160-23.976p.MP4

Format :XAVC

Codec ID :XAVC (XAVC/mp42/isom)

File size :30.3 GiB

Duration :37 min 50 s

Overall bit rate :115 Mb/s

Encoded date :UTC 2017-07-30 05:08:26

Tagged date :UTC 2017-07-30 05:08:26

Video

ID :2

Format :AVC

Format/Info :Advanced Video Codec

Format profile :High@L5.1

Format settings, CABAC :Yes

Format settings, RefFrames :2 frames

Format settings, GOP :M=3, N=16

Codec ID :avc1

Codec ID/Info :Advanced Video Coding

Source duration :37 min 50 s

Bit rate :114 Mb/s

Width :3 840 pixels

Height :2 160 pixels

Display aspect ratio :16:9

Frame rate mode :Constant

Frame rate :23.976 (24000/1001) FPS

Color space :YUV

Chroma subsampling :4:2:0

Bit depth :8 bits

Scan type :Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame) :0.572

Stream size :29.9 GiB (99%)

Source stream size :29.9 GiB (99%)

Language :English

Audio

ID :1

Format :PCM

Format settings, Endianness :Big

Format settings, Sign :Signed

Codec ID :twos

Bit rate mode :Constant

Bit rate :1 536 kb/s

Channel(s) :2 channels

Sampling rate :48.0 kHz

Bit depth :16 bits

Stream size :416 MiB (1%)

Language :English

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2017, 1:48 AM

If you are using GPU acceleration of video processing in your video preferences, try turning that off, or updating your graphics card driver.

hambonio wrote on 9/1/2017, 10:24 AM

GPU is GTX 1070 on a brand new laptop and everything was updated top the latest drivers yesterday before running Vegas Pro. Also have tried turning off GPU acceleration and switching between GeForce GTX1070 and also the Intel HD Graphics that is in the laptop. I have restarted the app each time I have tried changing the options.

hambonio wrote on 9/1/2017, 11:13 AM

Could this be an nVida issue? My main editing PC is i7 8 core (don't have exact model offhand) with 64GB RAM and RX 580 GPU. No issues on that one. I now recall using my 7 year old PC in my bedroom connected to our TV that we use as a media PC. It has a GTX 680 in it. I had Vegas on it briefly last fall to see if I could do some basic editing and it had almost an identical issue, but I chalked it up to being an older machine, and really did not intend to use it for much so I just un-installed.

I just installed it again and it is there as well.

Then again I told Vegas to not use GPU acceleration and also tried the Intel HD graphics option with same result.

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2017, 12:56 PM

Perhaps try transcoding to XAVC-I with the free Sony Catalyst Browse then bring it into Vegas. Have you no longer got the originals from the camera?

hambonio wrote on 9/1/2017, 1:40 PM

I need the laptop to do a same day edit at a wedding. The originals from the cameras (a7sii, a7rii, a6300) do the same thing. As well as a video I shot this morning on my Galaxy S7 when I loaded it into Vegas. Trans-coding (if it even works and I may try later) not only takes up more precious time but more space on a limited laptop. I am also not a fan of re-rendering files. I know the XAVC-I is supposed to be high quality, but I do notice a difference in quality/detail when I do use those MXF files on more complex projects vs the original file. I have been using Vegas Pro since Vegas Pro 8 and never had this issue.

EDIT UPDATE: While writing this out I did trans-code a file directly off the camera, and the blocking/bugging out is permanently baked into the now XAVC-I file.

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2017, 2:08 PM

The transcoding suggestion was mainly to help isolate the problem rather than a suggestion for your ongoing workflow.

So if you trancoded to XAVC-I with Catalyst Browse and you get the same issue when the files are brought into Vegas then you've ruled out that it's just the specific decoder in VP14 because XAVC-S and XAVC-I use different decoders (mxfxavc.dll and compoundplug.dll).

Did you see the artefacts on your "original" file in Catalyst Browse?

Are you using the latest VP14 build 270?

hambonio wrote on 9/1/2017, 2:57 PM

I used VP14 to make an XAVC-I file. I can try catalyst but don't have it installed at the moment. This bugginess also shows in my timeline in Vegas prior to rendering, when I am just trying to edit the file in the preview window.

Currently my wife has my laptop at work to do some basic editing (not rendering) but should be the most recent version. It is currently trial version on the laptop as I know I still need to purchase a license for the new computer - but the trial should be latest version correct?

My "Old" pc with the same issue is not the current version but I do not see any options on how to get the latest build. It is currently at 189 and is a registered copy. How do I get it to upgrade to latest build? Maybe I can test through the old PC and pinpoint this so I can fix the laptop when she returns home. Hoping it is the same issue.

My main editing PC is still 189 I think as well - and is registered, but I have had no issues on that PC. I will have to look when I get to it. How do I point it to the latest build? I remember when Sony owned it I would always get a pop up when I loaded Vegas and there was a new build available.

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2017, 9:39 PM

I used VP14 to make an XAVC-I file. I can try catalyst but don't have it installed at the moment. This bugginess also shows in my timeline in Vegas prior to rendering, when I am just trying to edit the file in the preview window.

The point of transcoding to XAVC-I using Catalyst Browse before bringing the file into Vegas was to see if it's just the XAVC-S decoder that is causing your problem in Vegas, or another issue. Doing the transcode in Vegas just passes the flaw on, so it's important to do it in the external program.

Currently my wife has my laptop at work to do some basic editing (not rendering) but should be the most recent version. It is currently trial version on the laptop as I know I still need to purchase a license for the new computer - but the trial should be latest version correct?

It depends when you downloaded and installed it. Version 15 was launched on 28th August, so if your trial was downloaded since then it will be 15. Versions 14 and 15 decode XAVC-S in very different ways , so it's important to know which version(s) has the issues. XAVC-S gets decoded in VP14 with the compoundplug.dll decoder. In VP15 is gets decoded with the so4compoundplug.dll which gives issues and can be disabled.

If your issues are with VP14 then it would actually be worth trying the VP15 trial to see if the new decoder solves them.

My "Old" pc with the same issue is not the current version but I do not see any options on how to get the latest build. It is currently at 189 and is a registered copy. How do I get it to upgrade to latest build? Maybe I can test through the old PC and pinpoint this so I can fix the laptop when she returns home. Hoping it is the same issue.

Install the latest build 270 which will overwrite your build 189, keeping the settings: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-where-can-i-download-vegas-pro-and-other-vegas-software--104782/

hambonio wrote on 9/1/2017, 10:14 PM

Thank you for the help so far, it is appreciated and still trying to pinpoint the issues.

My main editing PC is version 161, and works like a champ. I am still curious on how to upgrade it to the latest version? (edit: I see your comment above now)

The laptop if I can get it working correctly I want to purchase a license, but now I see that VP15 is out and don't see an option to purchase VP14. I need 2 matching versions of Vegas Pro, so I really do not want to buy 2 VP15s, when 1 VP14 will do. Is there any way to do this? I know this is starting to stray, but this is putting another kink into my new laptop I planned to use alongside my main PC.

Also, I just downloaded VP15 trial, and not happy any of the plugins that came with VP14 suite are working. Mercalli and Color Fixer Pro I use religiously. So that is also steering me away from potentially eventually purchasing 2x VP15.

NickHope wrote on 9/1/2017, 10:48 PM

VP14 build 161 was the first version and loads of bugs were fixed after that. You really should get onto build 270.

You can use VEGAS Pro (14.0 and later) simultaneously on 2 devices. See section 9 of the FAQ index about deactivating a device if you have to.

I know Mercalli doesn't port over to VP14 and you need to purchase an "upgrade", but I think there's a chance Color Fixer Pro can be made to.

hambonio wrote on 9/2/2017, 4:54 PM

Thanks for all the help Nick! I believe the latest version fixed the bug issue, but I will be doing more extensive edits later.

I have this activated on my laptop now, and could not be happier that I can use both depending on my location and needs!

My new issue is trying to play back files consistently in the timeline. When I load a file, for about 30secs-1 minute I get about 5fps with no plugins on the file, then it will run at full framerate for a few minutes, then will go to crappy frame rate again for a bit again. Is there something I might be able to tweak on my laptop that is possibly dropping power or something (really I have no idea what I am talking about). I added another nVME drive to the laptop to see if it was the mechanical hard drive, and moved my source footage to there, but the same issue persists. My system is now running off a 128GB nVME drive, and I have a 500GB nVME drive I plan to edit on and a 1TB 7200RPM storage drive.

As far as VP15 goes, none of my NewBLue FX or ProDad plug-ins that came from VP14 Suite are working with the trial. Do the NewBlue plugins that come with VP15 Suite include everything VP14 had? I don't see ProDad anywhere on the release notes, so that is a bummer. I haven't tried Boris yet, but I assume the same, and I rarely use those anyhow.

NickHope wrote on 9/2/2017, 10:15 PM

Thanks for all the help Nick! I believe the latest version fixed the bug issue, but I will be doing more extensive edits later.

I think you may have been experiencing this issue, which was fixed in build 201 of VP14.

My new issue is trying to play back files consistently in the timeline. When I load a file, for about 30secs-1 minute I get about 5fps with no plugins on the file, then it will run at full framerate for a few minutes, then will go to crappy frame rate again for a bit again. Is there something I might be able to tweak on my laptop that is possibly dropping power or something (really I have no idea what I am talking about). I added another nVME drive to the laptop to see if it was the mechanical hard drive, and moved my source footage to there, but the same issue persists. My system is now running off a 128GB nVME drive, and I have a 500GB nVME drive I plan to edit on and a 1TB 7200RPM storage drive.

I suppose it could be some kind of data throughput issue. It's generally best to keep media assets on a separate drive to your operating system.

Or there could be some other process running on the computer that is interfering. I like to use Autoruns to limit all the junk processes that can run at startup.

Or it might just be related to one of the things in this post about getting smooth playback: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-make-my-video-preview-play-smoothly-in-vegas-pro--104624/

As far as VP15 goes, none of my NewBLue FX or ProDad plug-ins that came from VP14 Suite are working with the trial. Do the NewBlue plugins that come with VP15 Suite include everything VP14 had? I don't see ProDad anywhere on the release notes, so that is a bummer. I haven't tried Boris yet, but I assume the same, and I rarely use those anyhow.

ProDAD won't work. We're waiting for them to make an offer in the next week to extend the Mercalli v4 license to VP15 for users who got the VP14 suite.

NewBlue Titler Pro was version 3 in VP14 but version 5 in VP15.

I'm confused about the Boris stuff.

In general you should expect add-ons you buy with a Suite version not to function in previous or future Vegas versions.

hambonio wrote on 9/6/2017, 3:40 PM

Thanks again for the help. If it was not for plugins that came with VP14 suite that will not work in VP15, I would be much more inclined to upgrade. I am sure there are complaints about this all over, so I wont say much more. I do like a few of the new features, and it looks slick.

How is the overall speed increase for playback and rendering?

I am still having issues with frame rates on the laptop. I downloaded Autoruns like you suggested and turned off just about everything I could think of, a few processes at a time and restarted VP14 every time. I read through your article about other tips and tweaked what I could.

I also went to factory fresh install on the laptop, upgraded every driver, and installed VP14 as the only app. It seems to run good for a few minutes, then crappy for a bit (less than 1 frame per second) then good again. On projects where there are a bunch of clips changing every few seconds, it never seems to catch up to full frame rate once it reaches the new clip, and is usually running at less than 1 frame per second. Even if I switch it to Preview-Auto which looks like poop if I need to see detail in the video.

My concern is my very old editing PC (7.5 years old) that I use in our bedroom as a media PC now, connected to a 4K TV, and on projects with a lot of clips it seems to recover to full frame rate with each clip change on my 4K footage running at BEST-FULL resolution in the preview. This PC is 7.5 years old and has a GTX-680 in it, and 12GB of RAM. The only thing I would say is stronger about the PC is that it has a 6-core i7-980x in it. Everything else is pretty ancient by tech standards.

Are there some laptops known as being great for Vegas Pro and 4K footage editing? For quick comparison again, my laptop has GTX-1070, 16GB RAM, i7 4 core. The system runs off the stock 128GB m.2 drive. My source footage is on a 500GB Samsung Pro nVME drive, and I render to 2TB Crucial SSD. I have also tried reverse with same results. The OLD PC has a single 8 year old Kningston 128GB SSD in it, so all project files and rendering take place on that one drive (mainly just a media PC now).

NickHope wrote on 9/7/2017, 12:10 AM

...VP15... ...How is the overall speed increase for playback and rendering?

Greatly improved AVC rendering speed if you use QSV (supported Intel CPUs) or NVENC (supported NVIDIA GPUs). Possibly VCE (supported AMD GPUs) coming too in an update.

For playback, generally worse for AVC for now until the new so4 decoder is optimized. In general I don't think there's a significant improvement in playback smoothness compared to VP14 yet. There might have been with Intel graphics. More is hoped for in updates. GPU acceleration in VP15 is a work in progress.

Are there some laptops known as being great for Vegas Pro and 4K footage editing?

I'm not really familiar with current offerings. Gut feeling from memory is that a highly-specced Dell Precision is probably the gold standard for performance and reliability. Dell XPS worth a look. Dell Alienware might offer higher specs closer to desktops. At the moment you may want to concentrate on the CPU in the laptop more than the GPU, since Intel graphics are well supported for both preview and AVC rendering.