VEGAS Pro 15 Update 1 (build 216) - General Discussion

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2017, 8:29 AM

VEGAS Pro 15 Update 1 (build 216) has been released.

General discussion in this thread please. Please make a new post or comment on an existing one for specific issues.

Official announcement

VEGAS Pro 15 (build 216) installer

If you already have VEGAS Pro 15 (build 177) installed, there is no need to uninstall it. The build 216 should overwrite your installation and retain your settings. Your computer will need to be online for activation after the update.

If you are installing VEGAS Pro 15 for the first time, it is generally better to install using a VEGAS Pro download manager. See here for details & links.

Release notes:

Features

• It is now possible to "heal" or "join" two events that hold the same media back into a single event
  • From the Render As dialog box, you can now swap all of your project media video files for video files with the same names (but potentially different file extensions) enabling you (for example) to work with proxy files on your timeline and switch to the full-resolution files to render. After the render completes, the files are swapped back.
  • A new option in the Project Media window enables you to swap all of your project media video files for video files with the same names (but potentially different file extensions) at any time
  • The Picture-in-Picture and Crop plug-ins now show different mouse icons depending upon which handle you point to in the Video Preview interacts
  • Added a button to events that enables the user to hide/show the new event headers
  • You can now set a preference to reverse the color of selected events so that it matches the behavior in version 14 and earlier where none selected events are white and selected events are colored
  • 4K, 10-bit 4:2:2 AVC files from the Panasonic GH5 camera are now supported

Bug Fixes

• Interlaced presets now function properly in the QSV encode option for files rendered with the MAGIX AVC/AAC plug-in
  • Picture-in-Picture help button now opens the proper help
  • VEGAS now automatically switches to the correct version of ACES based on the project settings when opening an existing project
  • ProRes audio and video now sync properly when added to the timeline
  • Optimized the code used for reading AVC, HEVC, and other file types so that it utilizes less system memory
  • Optimized the reading of MP4 files in the Explorer window
  • The Picture-in-Picture and Crop plug-in interacts now behave correctly at Good Full and Best Full
  • Saved projects now properly retain media markers and regions for MP4 files even if the project is closed and reopened
  • The fade-in offset in the event header is now properly available for crossfades
  • The Red Eye Reduction process now works properly
  • Fixed several broken interactive tutorials
  • Fixed a crash that could occur when entering into Expanded Edit mode
  • Picture-in-Picture and Crop plug-ins now correctly handles all pixel aspect ratios
  • The event indicators now properly show up on a collapsed group track
  • Audio bus tracks now use the correct icon
  • Rendering HEVC CBR now properly produces CBR output
  • HSL Adjust plug-in no longer causes color banding in 8bit GPU or 32bit CPU projects
  • Media markers are now much easier to see in non-selected events
  • NV Encoder render no longer fails with template rename/new template selection
  • Various display issues have been fixed in Windows 7 running in High DPI setups
  • Certain MAGIX AVC/AAC MP4 templates no longer crash upon selective prerender
  • Long HEVC files no longer cause a playback crash
  • Empty entries no longer appear in the main toolbar customize dialog
  • The hit area of timeline markers has been tightened up so that it is once again possible to drag above the markers to create a time selection
  • Can again properly read the text when you hover over files in the Explorer window
  • The ToolTip has been fixed for the Output Buss on audio track headers
  • Added the inadvertently omitted MainConcept AAC encoder back in as a render format
  • The Shift+Ctrl+C shortcut key once again properly hides just the event buttons without affecting active take information visibility
  • Reverted the default pan type back to Add Channels instead of Constant Power so that users no longer experience a 3dB volume attenuation in tracks panned to center
  • Fixed an occasional crash when building thumbnails in the Explorer window
  • Combining footage of some formats along with Panasonic P2 footage no longer causes the P2 footage to appear as green frames
  • Fixed a problem where opening the Render As dialog when the save folder is set to a network location could result in an error
  • The Titles and Text cursor is now more visible when using the dark background scheme
  • The offline media info text is now more readable
  • The Freeze Frame at Cursor operation now works properly when the cursor is at the first frame of the event
  • Fixed a bug that could prevent users from successfully creating blu-ray image files
  • Fixed a problem that could cause some MP4/AVC files to be displayed in the file explorer and properties windows with the wrong file type
  • ProRes 29.97 render templates no longer incorrectly shift the audio by 0.006 seconds
  • Audio is now more properly synchronized with the video when rendering to ProRes and HEVC formats
  • Fixed a crash when reading specific MP4 AVC/AAC files with so4 HW decoding enabled
  • Video preview for MP4 files now works properly with so4 HW decoder enabled

Previous general discussion thread: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-build-177-general-discussion--108306/

Comments

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2017, 9:03 AM

These bug fixes in this build do not appear in the above official notes:

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 10:00 AM

The Heal Function! Brill.

That’s a massive Bug list fixed. Well done 👍.

jwcarney wrote on 10/4/2017, 10:14 AM

I read somewhere that the Panasonic GH5 HDR contains HLG tags. If that is true, does Vegas recognize them?

Norbert wrote on 10/4/2017, 10:26 AM

I can't drag and drop media to the timeline, the "You can't do that" mouse appears when I try to drag any media. Only in the first non existing mediatrack appears the "You can put it here" Mouse icon but after "importing" nothing appears on the timeline. When I hit play the timecode appears but there is nothing on the timeline. The "You can put it here" mouse icon appears all over the track column but the imported media won't appear.

Norbert wrote on 10/4/2017, 10:29 AM

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2017, 11:17 AM

I can't drag and drop media to the timeline, the "You can't do that" mouse appears when I try to drag any media. Only in the first non existing mediatrack appears the "You can put it here" Mouse icon but after "importing" nothing appears on the timeline. When I hit play the timecode appears but there is nothing on the timeline. The "You can put it here" mouse icon appears all over the track column but the imported media won't appear.

No problem here. Did this function OK with the same media in VP15 build 177 or a previous version?

As it's AVC, perhaps this might help: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/new-avc-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/

Mats wrote on 10/4/2017, 11:34 AM

Woaow! Good job there!

xberk wrote on 10/4/2017, 11:49 AM

Can someone explain what the "heal function" is? I don't get it.

Paul B .. PCI Express Video Card: EVGA VCX 10G-P5-3885-KL GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 ULTRA ,,  Intel Core i9-11900K Desktop Processor ,,  MSI Z590-A PRO Desktop Motherboard LGA-1200 ,, 64GB (2X32GB) XPG GAMMIX D45 DDR4 3200MHz 288-Pin SDRAM PC4-25600 Memory .. Seasonic Power Supply SSR-1000FX Focus Plus 1000W ,, Arctic Liquid Freezer II – 360MM .. Fractal Design case ,, Samsung Solid State Drive MZ-V8P1T0B/AM 980 PRO 1TB PCI Express 4 NVMe M.2 ,, Wundiws 10 .. Vegas Pro 19 Edit

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 11:57 AM

Make a Split. Select both Split sections. Use Heal, done.

Former user wrote on 10/4/2017, 12:01 PM

Its really a great addition.  I tried more than 2 pieces, but it only does 2 at a time.  No hot key combination either right clicking or in edit menu.  Really good, did I say that already😂

Kinvermark wrote on 10/4/2017, 12:05 PM

Downloaded, but it doesn't offer another trial period. That's going to make testing a bit of a challenge. :)

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 12:06 PM

No hot key combination either right clicking or in edit menu.

I’ve got it mapped?

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 12:14 PM

I rolled me own. Ctrl+S,U .Here you are:

Last changed by Grazie on 10/4/2017, 12:17 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Grazie

PC 10 64-bit 64gb * Intel Core i9 10900X s2066 * EVGA RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra 10GB - Studio Driver 551.23 * 4x16G CorsVengLPX DDR4 2666C16 * Asus TUF X299 MK 2

Cameras: Canon XF300 + PowerShot SX60HS Bridge

Former user wrote on 10/4/2017, 12:34 PM

Thanks Grazie.

"4K, 10-bit 4:2:2 AVC files from the Panasonic GH5 camera are now supported"

In case anyones interested, this doesnt include the hevc 6K photo mode and the hevc HDR mode.

They both import with audio exactly twice the video length and the video intermittently shows mixtures of green frames and good frames.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/4/2017, 1:22 PM

I read somewhere that the Panasonic GH5 HDR contains HLG tags. If that is true, does Vegas recognize them?

Not yet to my opinion. Vegas Pro 15 is prepared for an upcoming HDR workflow in a good way, since based on its ACES 1.0 workflow one can convert log footage to rec.2020 or PQ or some other HDR nit based templates. And you can define those color spaces in the rendering templates.

But there is no automatic recognition, metadatas are missing in the renderd footage, and you have no waveform monitor that you can switch to a nit-based scale.

What you could try is to set the clips manually to the relevant color space.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

Former user wrote on 10/4/2017, 1:26 PM

That’s a massive Bug list fixed. Well done 👍.

There appears to be a problem.😒

I cut a small piece out of an event, brought the 2 pieces together then applied "Heal" So far so good, but ...

The piece on the right now has an extra 7 frames added to the start of it, which was previously part of what was cut away, so really in-useable.  The "left" piece was aok.  It appears to put back all of the piece that was previously cut away back in.

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 1:36 PM

Woah! So are you saying that if an Event is 1000 Frames long and it is split at 500 and then healed, you’d get an Event that is now 1007 long?

wideseen wrote on 10/4/2017, 1:43 PM

Switching from Vegas 14 to 15 I now experience the wait-wheel 15 seconds every time I switch from another application back to Vegas. I have used Vegas since version 8 and never had this happen before. It's unbearable.

Marco. wrote on 10/4/2017, 2:26 PM

"So are you saying that if an Event is 1000 Frames long and it is split at 500 and then healed, you’d get an Event that is now 1007 long?"

Sort of. If you split an Event, drag one of the parts some seconds away, then use the Heal extension, it would not move that one part back to re-join, but it would create an Event with a brand new length which will span from the first part to the end of the moved second part including the empty space between (with either repeated or freeze frames at the end).
Also if you split an Event and cut off the start of the second one or cut off end of the first one, it will than just add frames which were cut off before.

So, yes, this is of limited use.

Former user wrote on 10/4/2017, 2:27 PM

Woah! So are you saying that if an Event is 1000 Frames long and it is split at 500 and then healed, you’d get an Event that is now 1007 long?

Seems weird, unless I don't understand how its meant to work.

Take an event, make a copy, put one directly above/below the other

Take a small piece out of the middle of the top event, draw the 2 pieces of the top event together and heal.

From the start to the end of the new top event is ALL in sync with the bottom longer event.

The piece that's missing from the top event is now the END of the event, not the piece that was just cut out.

Grazie wrote on 10/4/2017, 2:36 PM

I read and would treat is as an Un-Split.

Former user wrote on 10/4/2017, 3:07 PM

Yeah, (or un-remove) not what I was expecting. The problem is, in the example I just gave, it may un-split (un-remove) but you're now still left with the end piece missing, which wasn't removed before you applied the "heal" affect. I really think that there trying to be too clever here, how useful is it, especially how useful is it over simply joining 2 pieces together as is. Of course some may have a use for it as it is.

malowz wrote on 10/4/2017, 3:55 PM

Switching from Vegas 14 to 15 I now experience the wait-wheel 15 seconds every time I switch from another application back to Vegas. I have used Vegas since version 8 and never had this happen before. It's unbearable.

it's not because of the option to "make files offline when not the active application?"

Norbert wrote on 10/4/2017, 4:40 PM

No problem here. Did this function OK with the same media in VP15 build 177 or a previous version?

As it's AVC, perhaps this might help: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/new-avc-issues-in-vp15-try-disabling-so4compoundplug-dll--108345/

In VP15 build 177 is okay. I reinstalled the program and I started to start it with shift+ctrl but still the same, it's useless for me. It's not the AVC file the timeline won't appear.