VEGAS Pro 18 Update 4 (Build 482) - General Discussion

Comments

James-Alburger wrote on 3/24/2021, 9:24 PM

3/30/21

Just reinstalled Vegas 18-482. There was a second Effects update that either wasn't there the first time or I missed it. After running both updates, the VST plugins have reappeared (see original post below). I did try a reset with the original issue, which did not fix the problem.

On another note - completely different issue - I ran into a problem where Vegas would not render to .wav or to .wav64. It would render audio only to all the other audio formats, but not .wav. This was a project built in Vegas 18-434. I was unable to isolate the cause of the problem but the solution was simple (once I found it). Resetting Vegas Pro to its default settings by holding down CTRL-SHIFT and double-clicking on the Vegas Pro icon and waiting for the prompt to reset - then clicking "yes", did the trick. Nothing in the project changed - all the track settings, levels and plug-in settings appeared to stay in place and Vegas worked as it should. I did need to import my preferences though, but that didn't cause any problem.

3/25/21 (original post)

Just ran the update for build 482 and all my VST plugins vanished. The VST scan shows the correct folders, but returns empty, so no VST plugins show in build 482. Attempted to roll back to build 434, but discovered that the download from Magix is actually build 482 (even though it's labeled 434). 434 was working just fine before the update. Build 373 restores my VST plugins. Reinstalled 482 and 373 several times to confirm the issue. Anyone else seeing this or have any ideas as to why the VST plugins would disappear? All legacy options are unchecked.

walter-i. wrote on 3/25/2021, 2:33 AM

@James-Alburger
Have you already tried a reset? I expect this to be more effective, because a new installation retains all the settings you have made - unlike a reset.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-reset-vegas-pro-to-default-settings--104646/

Reyfox wrote on 3/25/2021, 5:56 AM

I just checked, all the VST plugins are there in Build 482 on my computer. I did nothing special when updating. I updated from within Vegas.

JE22222 wrote on 3/25/2021, 12:18 PM

What are you guys doing? I reported that the render dialog was annoying in the last build because it didn't respect that the video editor window was minimized and whenever you batch render a video file the render video re-appears once one segment is completed and the next starts up.

Now with the new patch it is literally doing exactly the same but now you have removed the minimize button from the render window so now you cannot even minimize it anymore without expanding the original editor window and then re-minimize it again.

Why do you change the render window to begin with? All the information there is useless anyway, old render window was better because you could minimize vegas to render a batch of 200 files and it would not popup everytime a new clip started to render, now it is really annoying because if you are for example writing a document while rendering and you type on the keyboard and the render window pops up while you render you may just be unlucky and cancel the render because the focus of the window is now the render window making the workflow of your program worse.

Robert-Wilson wrote on 3/25/2021, 4:00 PM

There's no switch in the software for that behavior? That's going to be something to not look forward to.

VEGASDerek wrote on 3/25/2021, 4:20 PM

What are you guys doing? I reported that the render dialog was annoying in the last build because it didn't respect that the video editor window was minimized and whenever you batch render a video file the render video re-appears once one segment is completed and the next starts up.

Now with the new patch it is literally doing exactly the same but now you have removed the minimize button from the render window so now you cannot even minimize it anymore without expanding the original editor window and then re-minimize it again.

Why do you change the render window to begin with? All the information there is useless anyway, old render window was better because you could minimize vegas to render a batch of 200 files and it would not popup everytime a new clip started to render, now it is really annoying because if you are for example writing a document while rendering and you type on the keyboard and the render window pops up while you render you may just be unlucky and cancel the render because the focus of the window is now the render window making the workflow of your program worse.

I have confirmed the behavior you are describing. I have added bug to our database. This most certainly is annoying for anyone using the batch rendering script. I cannot promise anything, but we will attempt to resolve this for the next update.

James-Alburger wrote on 3/25/2021, 4:55 PM

I updated from within Vegas, then launched with the recommended reset procedure. Vegas loads with default settings (verified this) but still does not load the VST plugins. No VST plugins show when first opened, and setting folders and refreshing the plugin scan still results in an empty VST list. Anyone have a link to build 434? The 434 download actually installs as 482.

set wrote on 3/25/2021, 5:11 PM

In case needed: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-18-update-3-build-434--126816/

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

JN- wrote on 3/28/2021, 11:53 AM

There's a visual display distortion in the Render output screen display, see screenshot below. This can also be a problem with the the inability to finder the "Render" box, it goes to black on black. Dragging the main render dialog box makes it re-appear. When attempting to select a render option items disappear also, black on black.

I have previously done a reset and reinstall to fix another problem, so no luck with this issue. This happens on my laptop and PC. I have the very latest Studio drivers installed.

This is the display output while rendering on my PC.

The "Current speed" FPS value cannot be made out, it's visibility comes and goes, maybe it shouldn't be updated so quickly. Somewhere between real time and the "Average FPS" readout?

I checked the 5 pages so far and haven't seen a mention of this issue. This has appeared in previous versions/builds, it comes and goes with different versions, but I thought it was gone.

Last changed by JN- on 3/28/2021, 12:03 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

---------------------------------------------

VFR2CFR, Variable frame rate to Constant frame rate link to zip here.

Copies Video Converts Audio to AAC, link to zip here.

Convert 2 Lossless, link to ZIP here.

Convert Odd 2 Even (frame size), link to ZIP here

Benchmarking Continued thread + link to zip here

Codec Render Quality tables zip

PC ... Corsair case, own build ...

CPU .. i9 9900K, iGpu UHD 630

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

Graphics card .. MSI RTX 2080 ti

Graphics driver .. latest studio

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

Graphics card … Laptop RTX 3080

Illusion wrote on 3/28/2021, 3:59 PM

There's a visual display distortion in the Render output screen display, see screenshot below. This can also be a problem with the the inability to finder the "Render" box, it goes to black on black. Dragging the main render dialog box makes it re-appear. When attempting to select a render option items disappear also, black on black.

I have previously done a reset and reinstall to fix another problem, so no luck with this issue. This happens on my laptop and PC. I have the very latest Studio drivers installed.

This is the display output while rendering on my PC.

The "Current speed" FPS value cannot be made out, it's visibility comes and goes, maybe it shouldn't be updated so quickly. Somewhere between real time and the "Average FPS" readout?

I checked the 5 pages so far and haven't seen a mention of this issue. This has appeared in previous versions/builds, it comes and goes with different versions, but I thought it was gone.

See if the solution here works for you: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-18-visual-glitching-in-one-panel-after-last-update--126415/#ca786801

• ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
  • Ryzen 9 3900x 12-core
  • 128GB RAM (4x32GB)
  • Nvidia RTX 2070 8GDDR6
  • 1TB WD Black NVMe M.2 for OS/Prog
  • 1TB WD Black NVMe M.2 for Media
  • 1TB/2TB/4TB SATA3 SSDs for projects/media
  • 4TB WD Red drive for local cache
  • 10TB EXOS Enterprise, 14TB Toshiba drive for local cache
  • 32in 4K main monitor, 24in 1080 second
  • Win 11 Pro
  • 28TB NAS for long term archive storage
  • Sony a6000
  • Sony A7C
  • GoPro Hero 8
  • GoPro Hero 11
  • Sony BRAVIA XR X90J 75" 4K HDR10
  • Nvidia Shield TV Pro media player (GigE wired)
  • JBL Bar 5.1

JN- wrote on 3/28/2021, 7:23 PM

@Illusion Thanks. I remember seeing those threads, comments. At the time I didn't have the issue. I will check out my PC with the fix tomorrow. At the laptop at the moment, and would you believe it it's ok for now! In VP18 when I search for GPU only the single item you mention comes up. So I'll check it out on the PC tomorrow, where it's really quite bad, thanks.

I checked up on my previous reset date time, comments. I now realise it was just before this new build. So I now first tried a reset on my PC and so far aok. If it comes back i’ll use your suggestions in the linked threads.

Appears to be that a reset solves a lot of problems with b482.

Last changed by JN- on 3/29/2021, 6:48 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

JN- wrote on 3/29/2021, 12:41 PM

@Illusion Ok, problem came back. So I changed the GPU value to FALSE in internals ...

"GPU Acceleration for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) Panels"

So far issue is gone away.

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

JN- wrote on 3/30/2021, 2:07 PM

Ok, I know there are a few threads with this issue, but this thread, hopefully is being monitored by Magix?

I had this problem with 4K media, Red Screen, Black screen.

Red screen indicates use of proxies. Black screen occurs when proxies are not used.

This is another similar media type to my previouslyy used 4K media. It's FHD with the same black screen issue. The issue can be resolved by ...

#1 enabling Legacy AVC decoding, or

#2 using VP16.

Using #1 means that Nvenc encoding is not available.

Enabling Legacy AVC decoding #1 means that compoundplug.dll is used instead of the SO4 ... dll.

It appears there is more work to do with the SO4 ... dll plugin.

Note that enabling the Deprecated item Quicktime doesn't fix the problem.

Last changed by JN- on 3/30/2021, 2:14 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

JN- wrote on 3/30/2021, 7:50 PM

I did notice that all of the files have one thing in common ALL-I. IPB files so far, don't have this issue. See this other thread ... here Forget that theory, I found a Panasonic ALL-I GH5 file that plays fine.

Last changed by JN- on 3/31/2021, 4:14 AM, changed a total of 2 times.

Memory .. 32GB DDR4

PSU .. Corsair 850i

Mboard .. Asus Z390 Code

Laptop… XMG

i9-11900k, iGpu n/a

Memory 64GB DDR4

RogerS wrote on 3/30/2021, 8:15 PM

This is the thread referenced by JN- above: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/canon-80d-video-won-t-play-in-vegas-18--128174/

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

David-Jodon wrote on 3/31/2021, 1:31 PM

After doing a few projects with Build 482, I must say it's the first version of Vegas which actually works my graphics card. Not just for timeline playback, but also for rendering. There is something different about rendering. If I want to make a DVD or Blu-Ray of a project I have done in Vegas, I must go to Options/Preferences/File I/O and check ENABLE LEGACY AVC decoding (otherwise Vegas will render some green frames and then crash). So yesterday I edited a project, rendered it 4k to an HEVC/NVENC mp4 file. It rendered very fast. Then, after some trial & error, I discovered the problem with rendering to older video codecs (mp2) and came up with what I have written above. Does anyone know of a better way to do this?

RogerS wrote on 3/31/2021, 8:36 PM

The older codecs don't have GPU-enabled encoding (VCE/NVENC) options, do they so you are talking about either GPU decoding or the decoder in use?

What about leaving legacy AVC unchecked but setting hardware decoding to off? I'm not clear if the issue is with GPU assisted decoding or the so4compound plugin. What media are you using?

Other workarounds are setting dynamic ram preview to 0 and disabling GPU preview acceleration before renders. These latter two are things I've done to fix render issues but I haven't rendered for DVDs in quite a while.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Erkki wrote on 4/3/2021, 7:59 AM

Generally works pretty good.

Noticed crashes with one small project where is one clip from mobile and created nested subproject to it. I will send crash reports as they come.

Reyfox wrote on 4/3/2021, 8:10 AM

@Erkki I would use MediaInfo to see what the frame rate of the cellphone video is. Editors usually like a constant frame rate video (like from video/DSLR/Mirroless cameras), while some editing software will balk at a video that has a frame rate all over the place. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If this is the case with the cellphone video, I would convert it to a constant frame rate with a free program like Handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/

Last changed by Reyfox on 4/3/2021, 8:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Post 365 (Currently VP21)

Win 11 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

Erkki wrote on 4/3/2021, 8:20 AM

@Erkki I would use MediaInfo to see what the frame rate of the cellphone video is. Editors usually like a constant frame rate video (like from video/DSLR/Mirroless cameras), while some editing software will balk at a video that has a frame rate all over the place. https://mediaarea.net/en/MediaInfo

If this is the case with the cellphone video, I would convert it to a constant frame rate with a free program like Handbrake. https://handbrake.fr/

Thanks for tip. Checked with Mediainfo and seems to be variable framerate (framerate mode: variable). When I downloaded latest Vegas build I have been editing only videocamera files (mxf) and did not notice any crashes before now. So this could explain crashes.

I will test Handbrake.

Reyfox wrote on 4/3/2021, 9:56 AM

@Erkki I knew it would be variable frame rate, but curious as to what the "highs and lows" are with the video. And what was the "selected" frame rate on the phone.

Last changed by Reyfox on 4/3/2021, 9:57 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Newbie😁

Vegas Post 365 (Currently VP21)

Win 11 Pro

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

Erkki wrote on 4/5/2021, 8:18 AM

@Erkki I knew it would be variable frame rate, but curious as to what the "highs and lows" are with the video. And what was the "selected" frame rate on the phone.

If I understand correctly, minimum framerate was 23.083 FPS and max 42.878. About phone settings.. they were 16:6 FHD 1920x1080 (30 fps).

Reyfox wrote on 4/5/2021, 10:50 AM

I'd try 30fps constant frame rate in Handbrake.

adis-a3097 wrote on 4/5/2021, 3:41 PM

Is it possible to set Vegas so it prevents the Screen saver from going off?