VEGAS Pro 19 Update 5 (Build 643)

Comments

BobN2Tech wrote on 6/3/2022, 11:12 AM

With all these issues, I am glad I have not updated to b636 yet. Is there a way to stop the nag on updating each time I open Vegas? I always wait about at least 1 month before trying a new update - until it's stable.

Vegas Edit 19.0 (latest build)

OS Name    Microsoft Windows 10 Pro    
Version    10.0.19042 Build 19042      
System Manufacturer    Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.    
System Model    H270-HD3P    
System Type    x64-based PC    
Processor    Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)    

Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    16.0 GB 

Graphics : On-board Intel(R) HD Graphics 630 

Graphics: Radeon RX 570 Graphics Card 4GB Vram

(Details: PowerColor RED DRAGON Radeon RX 570 DirectX 12 AXRX 570 4GBD5-3DHD/OC 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 CrossFireXZ)

OrcatekVideo wrote on 6/3/2022, 11:14 AM

Last good build for me was 341. I skipped the 4xx build. Both 550 and now 636.

HW

Windows 10
AMD 5950X
RTX 3090
128GB
Dual 4K monitors
Only extra software is Photoshop.

Frequently latest two build crash on building icons in explorer window (nvcuda64.dll)
I have updated to latest studio drivers and also tried older ones, always clean install and reboot.

Options always show my GPU as active for both options - video and file I/O.

If it does start, it will not decode video using the GPU.  

On render sometimes it will not show the GPU options for rendering.  However sometimes it will, and then it does render using Encode via GPU, but still does not use it for decode.

Any suggestions other than rolling back to 341, which I do all the time.

Reyfox wrote on 6/3/2022, 12:20 PM

Reading all the comments and problems that users are having, something is wrong. For "me", B550 is wonderful, stable and works great on my computer. B636 is a "different kettle of fish". First, if you save anything in 636 and want to go to a previous build, you can't open that project. I can deal with preferences having to be redone (there should have been a warning/text file saying this), but not being able to go back after saving a project is a big one for me. Graide Color Match from B550 crashes B636 and won't play properly.

I do like the search box for Video FX is much faster now. Still have trouble seeing all the buttons in the hamburger menu when they are enabled on various track colors.

Peter-Riding wrote on 6/3/2022, 12:42 PM

With all these issues, I am glad I have not updated to b636 yet. Is there a way to stop the nag on updating each time I open Vegas? I always wait about at least 1 month before trying a new update - until it's stable.

You should be able to avoid this by changing the Preferences > General box and unticking "Use Newsfeed to stay informed about Vegas product updates". See it in the attached JPEG

I updated to 636 before seeing all the issues in this forum. That gave me some concerns. I found a comment by Dape on page one of this thread :

"Just made the update: for all of us that found the settings reset: View - Window Layouts - Organize Layouts and then you should find your old preset(s) there."

That worked for me.

All my personal Render choices were intact. Some of my main Preferences were not as before e.g. I don't usually have the last project open automatically and under Deprecated Features the Quicktime plugin had not been enabled (but I think that also happened on updating from 18 to 19.

I had to completely redo the "Customise Toolbar" and "Customise Timeline Toolbar" but I was not over concerned as I needed to revise them anyway.

My personal Media Generator Titles and Text stayed intact.

My personal Project Properties options changed slightly so I updated and saved those.

I opened Vegas 18 and cross-referenced the Preferences with the new 19 Preferences to double check.

Usually I would use Vegasaur to save and update Vegasaur Presets Manager to export / import but had not thought it was going to be necessary this time. I was relieved to find that both Vegasaur and Pluraleyes are available in 636. Phew!

Aaron-Lilburn wrote on 6/3/2022, 1:06 PM

what has happened to the IMPORT footage section. Normally when you imported a few video clips it highlights them all in the project media window so you can drag them all on the timeline if needed. Not it doesn't highlight them. when you import media now my system does a weird graphic thing and the media flashes.

fr0sty wrote on 6/3/2022, 8:13 PM

That's the bit I don't understand. There are beta testers here, apparently they're not allowed to tell us when they're testing a new release but they hint at it, @fr0sty is such a case. How would he not say "Guys the update just deleted all my personal settings, fix this before release or place a huge warning when loading the install file"

The same thing happened with version 532 of Vp19, I don't think it exists anymore replaced by version 550. The problems with 532 were immediately picked up by forum users. There has to be a problem with the beta testers themselves(seems unlikely) or the mechanism for giving feedback. The right people never see it?

The answer is quite simple. It didn't delete anything on my systems, or the systems of other testers. There's nothing wrong with the reporting process, and we talk to the dev team every day, all the right people see it and chat directly with us about the issues we report. This isn't a universal bug, it only affects some users.

The number of OS, driver, software, and hardware configurations out there is absolutely huge, and replicating every single one just isn't possible. It doesn't matter how many beta testers you use, when you release the software for many thousands of people (or tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? No idea what VEGAS' install base is) to install, there's always going to be something that the various combinations of system configurations in the testing pool didn't catch. Yes, sometimes that even means bugs that have major detrimental effects. Not even a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft or Apple can release updates they don't have to occasionally quickly patch to overcome some system-breaking bug.

And of course, once such a bug does surface, where's the first place that users affected by it are going to go for help? Either official support or these forums, which is why the forum users pick up on it so fast. That's what this forum is here for, to offer tech support. I would hope that such bugs would surface quickly if there are any. If they don't, it means there's users out there not getting help.

Last changed by fr0sty on 6/3/2022, 8:37 PM, changed a total of 13 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

wilri001 wrote on 6/3/2022, 11:33 PM

That's the bit I don't understand. There are beta testers here, apparently they're not allowed to tell us when they're testing a new release but they hint at it, @fr0sty is such a case. How would he not say "Guys the update just deleted all my personal settings, fix this before release or place a huge warning when loading the install file"

The same thing happened with version 532 of Vp19, I don't think it exists anymore replaced by version 550. The problems with 532 were immediately picked up by forum users. There has to be a problem with the beta testers themselves(seems unlikely) or the mechanism for giving feedback. The right people never see it?

The answer is quite simple. It didn't delete anything on my systems, or the systems of other testers. There's nothing wrong with the reporting process, and we talk to the dev team every day, all the right people see it and chat directly with us about the issues we report. This isn't a universal bug, it only affects some users.

The number of OS, driver, software, and hardware configurations out there is absolutely huge, and replicating every single one just isn't possible. It doesn't matter how many beta testers you use, when you release the software for many thousands of people (or tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands? No idea what VEGAS' install base is) to install, there's always going to be something that the various combinations of system configurations in the testing pool didn't catch. Yes, sometimes that even means bugs that have major detrimental effects. Not even a multi-billion dollar company like Microsoft or Apple can release updates they don't have to occasionally quickly patch to overcome some system-breaking bug.

And of course, once such a bug does surface, where's the first place that users affected by it are going to go for help? Either official support or these forums, which is why the forum users pick up on it so fast. That's what this forum is here for, to offer tech support. I would hope that such bugs would surface quickly if there are any. If they don't, it means there's users out there not getting help.

Any Beta testers on Windows 11? You can't test all scenarios, but testing Windows 11 seems reasonable.
I lost my settings and I'm on Windows 11 latest version.

Andrea-Berfio wrote on 6/4/2022, 2:45 AM

Hi, I mainly use VegasPro 19 to edit a radiovision program, but since I installed the new release 636 when I render for example only the Mp3 or Wav audio file it seems to work, but then once finished at some point the music freezes with a continuous annoying noise. This is a big problem because having to supply the files to 6 radio stations I had to fall back on other software. Support ... please solve it. Hello and thanks

Dexcon wrote on 6/4/2022, 3:54 AM

@Andrea-Berfio  ... If you have Sound Forge Audio Studio (or Sound Forge Pro for that matter), please see the first comment - from rraud - in this post about a similar issue regarding mp3 files and distortion.

I had a similar issue with mp3 files a while ago and the workaround worked even though I only had Sound Forge Pro installed, not SFAS.

That it also affects your wav files might mean that the cause of the problem is different to that described above

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Reyfox wrote on 6/4/2022, 4:59 AM

@Andrea-Berfio I opened a project that I finished in Build 550. It went wonderful. Playback on the timeline was great. Rendering it out, there were zero problems.

I bring in the same project from Build 550 into Build 636, and at the end of some clips, there is a LOUD scratch noise. Expanding the timeline to see what was there, 636 seemed to have added that waveform noise in some clips, and other clips which had no waveform still produced the noise during playback. Mind you, this was not on every clip, just some, and it was extremely annoying. Going back to 550, no problems.

Phil_P wrote on 6/4/2022, 9:18 AM

Fwiw: I lost all my settings and I'm on Windows 10 (also fully up to date). So it is definitely not just a Win 11 issue.

I wrote a big post about it and then deleted it. But no harm in passing on this part of the info I guess.

It was actually quite funny, now I look back... I was updating Vegas and I though "oh I will have a look at the forum while it is installing"... Starting reading through this thread and got to the part about folks losing settings... "Noooooo... oh well, it is too late now install has finished, and it probably won't happen to me"...

It did. :-)

Bruggeling wrote on 6/4/2022, 12:11 PM

Project of about 1 hour, working with 7 camera tracks (2 UHD and 5 HD), all videos have proxies, and were then put on 1 track by 'create multicamera track'.  Many, many crashes on all kind of actions, e.g. just playing a preview : the sound goes on and on but the preview freezes and the system hangs, needs the task manager to kill it.

I used the task manager to monitor what happens with the memory, but Vegas never goes higher than 5 GByte, the automatic backups are a lifesaver, nevertheless it is very annoying and time consuming.

My system : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 super, 32 Gbyte.  Windows 11 pro version 21H2.
Vegas 19 build 636.

Main cameras Panasonic S5, still using some FZ1000

Windows 11
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
GPU NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 super
RAM 32,0 GB

Main disk M2 2 Terabyte, other disks SSD on SATA, some on USB.

j-v wrote on 6/4/2022, 1:23 PM

@Bruggeling
No problem with my VPRO 19 b 636.
6 tracks with all UDH files out of my DJI pocket and in an UDH project on my laptop from signature, look

met vriendelijke groet
Marten

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, DJI Osmo Pocket, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W11 home version 23H2, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti with driver
560.70 Studiodriver and Intel HD graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Laptop  :Asus ROG Str G712L, W11 home version 23H2, CPU i7-10875H, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Studiodriver 560.70 and Intel UHD Graphics 630 with driver 31.0.101.2127
Vegas software: VP 10 to 21 and VMS(pl) 10,12 to 17.
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEM CELL DONOR!!! (because it saved my life in 2016)

fr0sty wrote on 6/4/2022, 3:07 PM

Any Beta testers on Windows 11? You can't test all scenarios, but testing Windows 11 seems reasonable.

Yes, there are Windows 11 machines in the testing pool... that doesn't seem to be the common denominator that is causing this issue with presets, unfortunately. The team is actively investigating the cause and will be working hard to correct it as soon as possible.

I'm not going to go much more into the testing process, but please be aware that we do have a large number of testers, many utilizing multiple systems and multiple operating systems, and we're all doing the best we can. The development team works very closely with us, listens to our input and suggestions, and they're doing their best to give you the best product they possibly can.

Last changed by fr0sty on 6/4/2022, 3:11 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

cyvideo wrote on 6/5/2022, 3:28 AM

"All of our company presets are gone and everything went to default settings! Please think of this when you release all-new versions and builds. When this happens it costs small companies like our thousands of $$$ fixing, researching how to fix, and making new templates. It's killing us each time you do it. How do we get back our project video presets? We have a LOT for each client. PLUS nothing works as it did before because all the settings we had, like "enable .mov", are all reset. spent an hour today just trying to figure out how to fix that."

Unless I'm mistaken you need to do the following. Before you upgrade to a new version install of Vegas use the now aging but fully functional Sony Preset Manager. Either v 1.0 or 2.0. This will allow you to export all your Vegas presets that you have painstakingly created and then import them into your next Vegas upgrade install. No pain!
https://sony-preset-manager.software.informer.com/2.0/
Plenty of "How to do it" vids on Youtube
Chris Young

Bruggeling wrote on 6/5/2022, 3:54 AM

@Bruggeling
No problem with my VPRO 19 b 636.
6 tracks with all UDH files out of my DJI pocket and in an UDH project on my laptop from signature, look

That is a 3 minute project. Mine is more than an hour. Had no problems in the first few minutes. Further into the video it crashes very often. Well if you follow this thread you will notice that I am not the only one to have this problem !

Bruggeling wrote on 6/5/2022, 9:05 AM

By now I am desperate. Have a project that must be finished before wednesday 8th of June. Rendering seems often to go wrong when Vegas writes the file from the tmp-file to the mp4-file (but not only then). Yesterday rendering worked without problems. The only change I made was some colorgrading, can't remove the colorgrading because essential.

I tried different disks, normally all SSD, and a normal hard drive, sometimes it works, and I think that I am saved, just to see that the next sequence crashes again. When I try to overwrite a file that has 0 bytes (because of the last crash) it will always crash again, so I have to (permanently) delete the file first.

More crashes with HEVC than with AVC, still I can't render all my work.

I started this project with build 636 so I can't go back.

Main cameras Panasonic S5, still using some FZ1000

Windows 11
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz
GPU NVidia Geforce RTX 2070 super
RAM 32,0 GB

Main disk M2 2 Terabyte, other disks SSD on SATA, some on USB.

Reyfox wrote on 6/5/2022, 9:41 AM

@Bruggeling do you have an earlier version of Vegas? 18, 17? Open your project in 636, copy it to one of the other versions and save it with a different name. If you still want VP19, for "me", I've found build 550 pretty good.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 6/5/2022, 12:23 PM

As an fyi, I've been bit by Vegas settings resets many a time over the years. It's an issue that seems to come and go. Video driver updates occasionally reset video driver preferences too. I work around problems like that by trying to stick to defaults and writing down my customized preferences. VP19 does have a feature to save preferences to a file and I do that too. But it doesn't cover every setting. Would be really helpful if it covered all the preferences including internal ones.

Did a little digging to try and figure out were the Vegas project templates are saved. Found them in the registry here which I suppose could be saved into a .reg file in case an update blasted them:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Sony Creative Software\Vegas Pro\19.0\Metrics\VideoProProfiles
Stay-In-Wonder wrote on 6/5/2022, 3:17 PM

Just did the update to build 636 and Vegas just hangs on start up. I can't even open vegas now. It appears to get stuck on my VSTi Is there away to stop vegas from scanning for plugins? I believe this might fix the issue.

FYI I did change the names of my VST plug in folder to zzzVSTs then vegas 636 started just fine. I then returned the vst folders to it original name removing the zzz and then started vegas again and it start no problem.

I have been working on computers for years and have a ton of different software so i know how to get around most tech issues. Vegas Pro is new to me. So maybe there is already away to open vegas without it having to scan through all third party VSTs?

Rich Parry wrote on 6/5/2022, 8:59 PM

@Andrea-Berfio I opened a project that I finished in Build 550. It went wonderful. Playback on the timeline was great. Rendering it out, there were zero problems.

I bring in the same project from Build 550 into Build 636, and at the end of some clips, there is a LOUD scratch noise. Expanding the timeline to see what was there, 636 seemed to have added that waveform noise in some clips, and other clips which had no waveform still produced the noise during playback. Mind you, this was not on every clip, just some, and it was extremely annoying. Going back to 550, no problems.

I just wanted to verity what is said above, a LOUD scratch at the end of "some" video clips. It is very noticeable and annoying. I loaded the file into Adobe Audition, the scratch is NOT there. With all due respect to the software developers, I would call 636 DOA.

In my career, I have been a software developer and a software test engineer, I know what frosty is saying about the complexity of developing and testing software on a near infinite number of platforms, nevertheless, with all due respect to my brother software engineers, 636 is DOA, IMO.

No one asked my opinion, but I would avoid this release. In 15+ years of using VP, some releases had flaws, but none were show stoppers and there was usually a workaround. That changed for me with 636. I updated as always do, this time I paid the price.

I'm not upset, video editing is a hobby for me, I'm just trying to help.

BTW, If I read the above, I would probably still upgrade to 636 thinking this guy is crazy and doesn't know what he is talking about. 😀

YMMV,

Rich

Last changed by Rich Parry on 6/5/2022, 9:00 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU Intel i9-13900K Raptor Lake

Heat Sink Noctua  NH-D15 chromas, Black

MB ASUS ProArt Z790 Creator WiFi

OS Drive Samsung 990 PRO  NVME M.2 SSD 1TB

Data Drive Samsung 870 EVO SATA 4TB

Backup Drive Samsung 870 EVO SATA 4TB

RAM Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB

GPU ASUS NVDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti

Case Fractal Torrent Black E-ATX

PSU Corsair HX1000i 80 Plus Platinum

OS MicroSoft Windows 11 Pro

Rich in San Diego, CA

GaryX wrote on 6/6/2022, 6:41 AM

i updated to 636 without issues. Also my presets i created before were uneffected. I've also loaded a project from 550 which total lenght is 35min, done out of 3 files ~3h 4k video, also no problem. Todays computers are very piccy, wrong driver and the hardware does not work! I just had that with my HP reverb G2 VR googles, AMD version 22.5.1 works perfect, but 22.5.2 everything flickers, blackscreens and so on.

• ryzen 5950
  • x570 mb Asrock
  • 6900xt
  • 64gb ddr4 3600
  • 2x .m2 each 2tb
  • 1x sandisk extreme pro ssd
  • 2x toshiba hdd 3tb
  • 1x seagate 8tb hdd
  • Windows 10 pro
Bruggeling wrote on 6/6/2022, 7:48 AM

A sequence that would crash always when rendering, does render when I disable the colorgrading that had put on the whole track (to correct too much red). Enabling colorgrading again made it crash again during rendering.

GaryX wrote on 6/6/2022, 11:09 AM

A sequence that would crash always when rendering, does render when I disable the colorgrading that had put on the whole track (to correct too much red). Enabling colorgrading again made it crash again during rendering.

ok, i just tested a 1h render 4k render with color corrector enabled, it rendered flawless to the end.

Do you have a test-video sample so others could crash-test it too?

Project of about 1 hour, working with 7 camera tracks (2 UHD and 5 HD), all videos have proxies, and were then put on 1 track by 'create multicamera track'.  Many, many crashes on all kind of actions, e.g. just playing a preview : the sound goes on and on but the preview freezes and the system hangs, needs the task manager to kill it.

I used the task manager to monitor what happens with the memory, but Vegas never goes higher than 5 GByte, the automatic backups are a lifesaver, nevertheless it is very annoying and time consuming.

My system : AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 8-Core Processor 4.20 GHz, Nvidia Geforce RTX 2070 super, 32 Gbyte.  Windows 11 pro version 21H2.
Vegas 19 build 636.

The problem with the playback hang, grey window + need to use task manager to kill the process seems to be a feature from earlier vegas versions, they go back to vegas 8 or 9 when it was supported by sony. It was never fixed. (i had that problem in every released version!)

It mostly happens when the playback gets too much lag and cannot follow again. I simply don't play back too long, use a lower quality preview and save often.