VEGAS Pro Feature Requests

Comments

Evan-Powell wrote on 7/19/2022, 11:10 PM

I have some more audio editing improvements I would like to add in addition to those I posted above. Links for reference. Post 1 Post 2

- Open Multiple VSTs at a time: Many DAWs have the ability to open up multiple VST effects windows at a time in order to monitor what is going on. This would be very useful in my opinion.

- Incorporate the new CLAP audio plugin standard: A new audio plugin standard has been released by u-he and is completely open source and provides multiple functionality and performance improvements. Did I mention it is open source? Info Link ->Github link at the bottom of the linked page ;)

- Be able to use different input and output drivers at the same time: I recently got a Universal Audio Apollo and without a doubt it makes things more complicated, but fun :) That being said, it would make things soooo much easier if I were able to have the recording audio driver be the one provided by UAD, but have the playback audio driver be my standard windows playback device. It just plays back so much better than through the UAD with the latency on the windows device. Yes there are work arounds, but being able to make one setting and leave it and forget it would make things so much easier.

- Mute Input busses during playback (unless recording is armed): I have a simple High Pass filter on my input bus that I channel all of my recording through. I've noticed that when I playback my video after recording, I am still seeing levels come through the input bus. I'd assume that the vst effect(s) are still processing that input as well which just eats up processing power. During playback, I cannot think of a reason the input busses need to be active with effects active on them unless you are recording at the same time. True you can manually mute them, but I think this should be automatic. Maybe there is a way to do this already, but I have not figured it out yet.

- More VST directory Folders: Can there be more than just 3 VST folder directories in preferences?

- Default Audio Recorded files Location: Can the "Recorded Files Folder" default to the project location so that all audio files I record go to the project's folder? I need to manually adjust this setting every time I start a new project. At least add a "Project Location" button.

2nd-kennyatera wrote on 7/25/2022, 11:36 AM

Hello everybody,
it would be an absolute gamechanger for me if it would be possible to use the slip tool with the keyboard (without having to physically move the mouse back and forth on the desk) - i.e. to be able to move the video material within an event with a fixed beginning and end. Not only for people working on a laptop, but also for those who want to use a hardware controller. In the best case with different speed variations similar to JKL. Would that be possible?

iEmby wrote on 8/5/2022, 7:08 AM

Look at my this post too.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/suggestions-for-vegas-20-and-its-further-updates--136595/

Last changed by iEmby on 8/5/2022, 7:08 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

PROCESSOR

Operating System: Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (Always Updated)
System Manufacturer: ASUS
12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-12700 (20 CPUs), ~2.1GHz - 4.90GHz
Memory: 32GB RAM
Page File: 11134MB used, 7934MB Available
DirectX Version: DirectX 12

-----------------------------------------------

MOTHERBOARD

ASUS PRIME H610-CS D4
Intel® H610 (LGA 1700)
Ready for 12th Gen Intel® Processors
Micro-ATX Motherboard with DDR4
Realtek 1 Gb Ethernet
PCH Heatsink
PCIe 4.0 | M.2 slot (32Gbps) 
HDMI® | D-Sub | USB 3.2 Gen 1 ports
SATA 6 Gbps | COM header
LPT header | TPM header
Luminous Anti-Moisture Coating
5X Protection III
(Multiple Hardware Safeguards
For all-round protection)

EXTERNAL GRAPHIC CARD

INTERNAL GRAPHIC CARD (iGPU)

------------------------------------------------

LED - MONITOR

Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
Monitor Model: HP 22es
Monitor Id: HWP331B
Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
Output Type: HDMI

STORAGE DRIVE

Drive: C:
Free Space: 182.3 GB
Total Space: 253.9 GB
File System: NTFS
Model: WD Blue SN570 1TB (NVMe)

---------------O----------------

My System Info (PDF File).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1-eoLmuXzshTRH_8RunAYAuNocKpiLoiV&usp=drive_fs

Also Check

VEGAS Scripts Collection By Me

GitHub Profile

My YouTube Channel Dedicated to Only VEGAS Pro Tutorials

EDITROOM : My YouTube Channel (For VEGAS Tutorials)

Dexcon wrote on 8/7/2022, 5:42 AM

Vegas Black Bar Fill VFX.

This FX is excellent, but a control I would really like to see added is the ability to lower the opacity of the background especially for images where the foreground is bright - the background can be a bit overpowering and distracts from the foreground.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

jetdv wrote on 8/7/2022, 7:10 AM

@Dexcon, lower the opacity (so the lower tracks show through)? Or be able to control the brightness/gamma?

Dexcon wrote on 8/7/2022, 7:33 AM

Or be able to control the brightness/gamma?

@jetdv  ... An excellent alternative.

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

Former user wrote on 8/7/2022, 7:40 AM

@jetdv I think he means simply a brightness control for the background like this in the BCC version

jetdv wrote on 8/7/2022, 7:46 AM

@Former user, I understood that. But Opacity won't do that.

Dexcon wrote on 8/7/2022, 7:58 AM

Just for clarity, I suggested opacity only because the method I've used in the past (pre-Black Bar Fill) is to Ctrl-drag down the video event to a lower track to create the background, use pan/crop to expand it to 16:9, add a gaussian blur, and then adjust the opacity to suit. It worked just fine and exactly as I wanted. If an additional control could be added to Black Bar Fill to achieve the same result - by whatever means - would be greatly appreciated.

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Former user wrote on 8/7/2022, 8:14 AM

@jetdv Yep i understood, it only works when duplicating as @Dexcon mentioned above, but were talking about Black Bar Fill not recreating the effect, comments become crossed wires that's all 👍

twinbee wrote on 8/25/2022, 5:37 PM

On and off user of Vegas over the years but new to Vegas Pro 20!

As far as I know, there's only one way of producing lossless files from Vegas Pro, and that's with its "Video for Windows -> Uncompressed" codec. I feel this is a shame since there are dozens if not hundreds of codec variants supported, but barely anything for lossless video.

What would be great is support for the widely supported lossless codec - APNG (animated PNG). This would be useful for cartoons/animations, animated icons and emojis, and more abstract styles (e.g: art deco, optical illusions, or even simple animated backgrounds for web sites and presentations).

I tried to compress my animation here, and with APNG, it came out as 5.7 megabyte. However, under the "Video for Windows -> Uncompressed" codec, it comes out as 46.8 meg, almost an order of magnitude larger!

Lossy is great, but lossless has its place too! Hence my plea to the devs, please support APNG and help me to love Vegas Pro even more :) If we can have a hundred lossy codecs, we can definitely have a single REALLY good lossless codec.

relaxvideo wrote on 8/26/2022, 12:22 AM

What about lagarith?

#1 Ryzen 5-1600, 16GB DDR4, Nvidia 1660 Super, M2-SSD, Acer freesync monitor

#2 i7-2600, 32GB, Nvidia 1660Ti, SSD for system, M2-SSD for work, 2x4TB hdd, LG 3D monitor +3DTV +3D projectors

Win10 x64, Vegas21 latest

twinbee wrote on 8/26/2022, 1:58 PM

What about lagarith?

@relaxvideo Oh...., that word is on the outer cusp of my memory for being a lossless codec. I'm not sure how that compares in file compression compared to APNG. I presume you don't mean Lagarith is already an option within Vegas Pro.

relaxvideo wrote on 8/26/2022, 2:03 PM

Why not? I used many time before, but now use Canopus HQ(X) instead.

#2 i7-2600, 32GB, Nvidia 1660Ti, SSD for system, M2-SSD for work, 2x4TB hdd, LG 3D monitor +3DTV +3D projectors

twinbee wrote on 8/28/2022, 5:53 PM

Is that lossless, and does Vegas support that codec? Also how does it compare to APNG in terms of compression?

yoo-changyun wrote on 9/12/2022, 8:44 PM

There is a feature that I would like to see in Vegas Pro. It is a feature in Premiere. There is a remix ai tool that lengthens and shortens the bgm length by itself, which is quite smart and useful.

yoo-changyun wrote on 9/12/2022, 10:25 PM

I wish there was an easier way to prove Vegas content license proof

relaxvideo wrote on 9/13/2022, 12:55 AM

Is that lossless, and does Vegas support that codec? Also how does it compare to APNG in terms of compression?

https://www.google.com/search?q=lagarith+lossless+codec&oq=lagarith+lossless&aqs=chrome.0.0i19j69i57j0i19l4j0i19i22i30l4.2617j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

As i said i used many times in vegas. It's an AVI file.

daniel-t wrote on 9/15/2022, 1:14 PM

Just a generic feature request. I would like to see an internal version of AMD VSR or Nvidia DSR. Or, the ability to render footage to a higher resolution and then downsample just before encoding, for improved quality.

Let me explain: even when you use high resolution media, any motion performed on a track or parent level is done at the project/rendering resolution. So if you’re rendering at 1080p and apply a 25% zoom to a track, that track is now only displaying 810p. The only workaround is to do motion at the media/event level, but this is not practical for anything involving complex overlayed compositions with child tracks.

Currently the only true workaround is to render the entire project to a higher-than-needed resolution, ie. 4K when you want 1080p, but this adds significant encoding time. Especially when you want 4K and need to encode at 8K.

What I would propose is a flag that can be set at a project or track level that triggers everything (or that track and children) to be internally rendered at a higher integer resolution (ie 2x) and then downsampled before additional composition or passing to the encoder. While this would definitely add to the encoding time, it feels like it would be less than having to render and encode the whole thing at a higher resolution, while offering higher finished quality for any sort of media positionng or scaling.

Jason-Cheung wrote on 11/12/2022, 2:31 PM

I'd like to make 2 requests:

1. Please keep the toolbar hidden when we hide it in the menu. Every time I restart Vegas, the toolbar comes back, and I prefer to have as much vertical space as possible. The status bar correctly stays hidden across restarts, but the toolbar doesn't.

2. Please add a keybind for reversing a clip. I know I can Right-click > Reverse in the timeline, but I'd prefer a way to keybind it. Thank you.

Reyfox wrote on 11/12/2022, 3:09 PM

Did you save the Window Layout before exiting?

Jason-Cheung wrote on 11/12/2022, 9:14 PM

Did you save the Window Layout before exiting?

Yes. The toolbar still comes back. Does it stay hidden for you?

Reyfox wrote on 11/15/2022, 6:28 AM

Screenshot of the particular offending toolbar?

weinerschizel wrote on 11/17/2022, 5:27 PM

On the topic of "stability". My Vegas is almost worthless. Sometimes it will run then Windows updates or a driver w/o me knowing and it's completely useless anymore. I don't know this is necessarily the fault of Magix. Or likely the fault of 3rd party code they have to interface with (codecs, etc). However, the software doesn't gracefully handle the event. Many times I have to reboot or in the least loose my edits / cannot save.

I have a masters in computer engineering and over a decade of experience with programming in C++, including windows applications. Programming language aside, windows environment has a pretty good system for handling exceptions / crash events.

Has anyone been able to speak with a programmer from the Magix Vegas team? I question if they are handling the exceptions in their code? They can encapsulate different calls such as loading Effects, Rendering timeline playback, etc. and gracefully handle the crash. That way you have a better chance of recovering from it.

It also pinpoints what code or hardware is culprit for the crash. Then that can be used to correct the software and or avoid that situation again.

Here's tutorial for C++ on exception handling if anybody from Magix reads this thread.

https://www.tutorialspoint.com/cplusplus/cpp_exceptions_handling.htm

Additionally, I don't think Vegas likes certain resources to be used at the same time. I theorize that the timeline can only tolerate so many actions before it crashes. eg. playback while editing, or reloading clips on timeline preview while playing back, etc. They may need to place a lock, like a mutex, on certain events and process additional inputs from user after task has been completed (eg. refreshing timeline preview thumbnails).

https://cplusplus.com/reference/mutex/mutex/lock/

Additional user inputs in meantime would be queued in an input stack and processed afterwards. Photoshop does a beautiful job of this for instance. It has a little load / status bar that pops up too so you know what's going on. Lastly if you press escape it flushes out the input queue and stops the current task immediately reverting to previous state.

I've been away from this for so long I cannot explain very well. However, I hope a programmer might see this and understand if they haven't already done most of this. I assume they haven't given the way the software behaves.

Last changed by weinerschizel on 11/17/2022, 5:30 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Windows 10 Ultimate Editing Machine 10 core i7-6950x CPU / 64gb ram / Nvidia 2080Ti GPU / M.2 main drive & 1tb SSD capture scratch drive

My work Real Estate Broker by day HERE / Camera Man for hire HERE / A mountain man otherwise HERE