Audio Of Music With -3DB Peak Keeps Clipping in Vegas Pro 16?

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/29/2020, 6:18 PM

I have a music file in my Vegas Pro 16 video project. I edited it in Adobe Audition to compress it and normalize it so the peak level is at -3DB. But after importing it into Vegas, it keeps clipping (going into the red) even when that audio track is set to 0dB.

I've even tried putting a limiter on the Vegas audio track but even that doesn't prevent it from going into the red. What am I dooing wrong here?

Comments

adis-a3097 wrote on 12/30/2020, 3:59 AM

Hm, what kind of file (codec)? Is the master fader also set to zero?

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/30/2020, 11:54 AM

How would I know about the CODEC? this isn't upon render. It's while I'm editing. also, yes. the master fader is at 0.0.

john_dennis wrote on 12/30/2020, 12:09 PM

@Ken-Theriot

"How would I know about the CODEC?"

C1 from this this Important Post...

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

... that you past to get to here.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/30/2020, 12:44 PM

Noting in that post about a CODEC that I could find? I thought that didn't come into play until rendering time?

walter-i. wrote on 12/30/2020, 2:50 PM

If you have installed Mediainfo, you only need to right-click on your music file in Explorer, select Mediainfo, and post the result here as described in the tutorial.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/30/2020, 5:07 PM

If you have installed Mediainfo, you only need to right-click on your music file in Explorer, select Mediainfo, and post the result here as described in the tutorial.

Not sure what tutorial you are referring to. But here is a screen pic of the result. I don't understand what this has to do with why the audio is clipping in Vegas though.

rraud wrote on 12/30/2020, 5:47 PM

Try activating normalization on the event(s), Right-click the Event, select Properties and check mark Normalize. Then click the Recalculate button. Though if the file itself is clipped, it will be regardless of normalization.. Lossy file types often clip when encoded at low bit rates so additional headroom may be warranted audio files should be avoided all together in my pro (audio) opinion except for end-user playback.

This thread should be in the Vegas Pro Audio forum.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/30/2020, 6:08 PM

Thanks. When I hit "Recalculate," it didn't change, remaining at 1.4 dB for some reason. The audio itself is not clipped. In fact I normalized it in Adobe Audition at -2 dB. It is an mp3 though. Does this mean Vegas is adding 3.4 dB in level?

I'm making a video with Vegas Pro 16. The audio is only one track out of 22. I'm making a "virtual choir" video, so I don't think this should be in the Vegas Audio forum. I don't even know what Vegas Audio is.

EricLNZ wrote on 12/30/2020, 6:30 PM

I don't think this should be in the Vegas Audio forum. I don't even know what Vegas Audio is.

It's a sub category of the Vegas Pro forum. Most viewers probably have all categories displayed so are not aware of the filtering available should one only want to look at audio, scripting or video.

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 12/31/2020, 12:16 AM

Number of reasons that can happen... most common is not having the master slider set to 0. Or having some hidden busses with volume envelopes that were forgotten... the "B" command reveals them. Another common one is when the audio is actually dual-mono instead of stereo and it's turned into stereo without obeying the panning laws. Also, Vegas has this annoying habit of enabling 3 plugins on every audio track which are not actually null if you don't use them... I routinely remove or disable all the audio track fx to fix that.

rraud wrote on 12/31/2020, 9:43 AM

OT but "I routinely remove or disable all the audio track fx to fix that."

The first thing I do with a fresh install as a default.

Ken-Theriot wrote on 12/31/2020, 11:50 AM

Number of reasons that can happen... most common is not having the master slider set to 0. Or having some hidden busses with volume envelopes that were forgotten... the "B" command reveals them. Another common one is when the audio is actually dual-mono instead of stereo and it's turned into stereo without obeying the panning laws. Also, Vegas has this annoying habit of enabling 3 plugins on every audio track which are not actually null if you don't use them... I routinely remove or disable all the audio track fx to fix that.

Thanks. Double checked and the master slider is definitely set to 0. I turned off all the effects for the audio track because they didn't seem to be working anyway. This is a true stereo file. It looks like the only way I can prevent the clipping is to take the audio file into Adobe Audition and reduce the peak from -2 to like -5. But I shouldn't have to do that. I'd really like to understand the root cause here.

Former user wrote on 12/31/2020, 3:13 PM

I would take the file created by Adobe and create a new wav file from Vegas and re-enter them back on Adobe (do not change any levels in Vegas) and see how they compare.

rraud wrote on 12/31/2020, 3:59 PM

Try this, Right-click the 'Pan' Fader and select 'Pan Type. and set the "Balance (-3 or -6dB ) Center" setting.

Alternately, if both the left and right channels are identical dual-mono, (as was previously mentioned), use the left or right channel only*, which will be panned center by default and come out of both left and right speakers equally.
* Right-click the audio event, Select Channels> Left only or Right only.

barteslomas wrote on 3/30/2021, 2:31 AM

Hey. Just wanted to know if you end up solving it, I've been having this problem for a year now and couldn't find other solution than reducing the gain until it doesn't clip (losing some loudness in the way)

Ken-Theriot wrote on 3/30/2021, 2:38 PM

Hey. Just wanted to know if you end up solving it, I've been having this problem for a year now and couldn't find other solution than reducing the gain until it doesn't clip (losing some loudness in the way)

Not really. I did notice that one channel was louder than the other one. So I evened those out. But I still had to reduce the peak down to like -5dB.

rraud wrote on 3/30/2021, 6:05 PM

Right-click the tracks' Pan and try another center loudness mode.