[Release] VEGAS Pro 15 – Inspiration Meets Productivity

Comments

NickHope wrote on 8/28/2017, 12:51 PM

Is there any way for the user to beable to set the default back to 'Add Channels'?

1. Right-click the Pan slider and choose the Pan model you want as your default
  2. Right-click the track header and choose Set default track properties
  3. From the list, select Pan type (and any other property you want)

From there on, any audio track you add will have your desired pan type as the default.

Thanks Gary. I forgot about that. I used that technique to get the default Track Noise Gate, Track EQ and Track Compressor FX out of my new audio tracks in VP14 and I've just done the same with VP15. I don't think many users know about "Set default track properties". It might be better if those appeared in the audio preferences.

Just done some comparative testing and "constant power" seems the better default to me too.

Thank you. Does that apply just to the current project? It is not a terrible hardship for me to have a template project if it does.

It applies to new projects too.

AlesCZ wrote on 8/28/2017, 1:37 PM

Please fix the major bugs of the Vegas V14(for free), forget about the V15 and when you think seriously, take the V16. Thank you!

Master86 wrote on 8/28/2017, 1:48 PM

I'm agree with you AlesCZ

Lukasz wrote on 8/28/2017, 2:03 PM

Hello, how failed for me is the rendition done twice as long. Already at the very beginning he hung up and shut off without giving a reason. Old designs are loaded very long. Another vow that just bends and the old bugs with vegas 13 and 14 are not repaired. Time for change just shame on another company.

ex-Vegas wrote on 8/28/2017, 3:07 PM

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this is my swan song with Vegas Pro. I've spent nearly $2,000 keeping up to date with Vegas Pro over the years, and I just can't see the value in continuing to spend hundreds of dollars a year to upgrade to the latest version, even with the puny discounts offered.

I've switched to the public version of Black Magic DaVinci Resolve, which is free, has all the features I need, has many features Vegas Pro does not have, gets updated frequently (again, for free) and for me is easier to use than Vegas Pro (YMMV). There are a few things I sometimes use Vegas Pro for, like conversion into a format not supported in Resolve, but that's pretty rare.

In light of this, I think Magix needs to rethink its pricing, especially for upgrades.

Robert W wrote on 8/28/2017, 3:21 PM

I hate to be a wet blanket, but this is my swan song with Vegas Pro. I've spent nearly $2,000 keeping up to date with Vegas Pro over the years, and I just can't see the value in continuing to spend hundreds of dollars a year to upgrade to the latest version, even with the puny discounts offered.

I've switched to the public version of Black Magic DaVinci Resolve, which is free, has all the features I need, has many features Vegas Pro does not have, gets updated frequently (again, for free) and for me is easier to use than Vegas Pro (YMMV). There are a few things I sometimes use Vegas Pro for, like conversion into a format not supported in Resolve, but that's pretty rare.

In light of this, I think Magix needs to rethink its pricing, especially for upgrades.

Black Magic are probably doing things the right way. They are primarily a hardware company that makes software that lets you get the most out of their hardware. Sony started going down that road with Vegas, particular with 8 and its support for the Z1. However, developing software is a very expensive business. Vegas happens to be one of the most pirated platforms out there, and without the developers having any associated hardware platforms to compliment it, they have to rake in the funds through the software itself. Unfortunately this is resulting in a piece of software that requires high annual update charges for minimal returns in stability and the feature set. This is why the likes of Adobe have gone to subscription models, and I would be be suprised if Magix do not have to follow suit before they have any major overhaul of Vegas, because the piracy is simply killing it and its market.

FilmvsDigital wrote on 8/28/2017, 5:19 PM

Not being even remotely close to an expert, I'm not sure where you get the piracy claims. I sincerely hope that it is not that bad or even remotely close to that bad. And a subscription model does not, in and of itself, address piracy issues. What a subscription model does do is hold all your work and projects hostage to a particular vendor. Leave them, and your stuff sits spinning 'round and 'round - not the same thing as leaving a vendor from whom you have purchased, installed software. I left Adobe because of that and found Sony, now Magix, Vegas as a result and have never ever looked back. Should Magix decide on a subscription model, I will migrate to a vendor who does not insist on holding my work hostage. BTW, does Adobe have a clause stating they will give you (a subscriber) the software you have subscribed to and at the current level should they exit the business?

Barton-Santello wrote on 8/28/2017, 6:13 PM

Gary/Mathas: Thanks for your team's hard work. I think some people don't realize the effort and complexity of developing software in a rapidly change technology environment. I'm a long-time Magix Video Pro X user that also have VEGAS PRO 14 that I use occasionally. My only interest in VEGAS is its DPX file format that Video Pro X doesn't support. I'm wiling to pay $199 to at VEGAS 15 Pro update in order to support further development on this traditional video editor: But I can't go for the $325 upgrade. - it's just not fair to everyone. MAGIX needs to know this. You'll make more money on volume sales at a reduced upgrade price. You can't hope the hard-core users are going to pull-the-freight at a high upgrade price. Some are peeling off; and financially, for the business model, it won't last long-term.

I've been following the threads of long-time users and some of the frustrated users. I think MAGIX needs to bring the best of VEGAS PRO's Technology into the more intuitive-functioning Video Pro X software to build a super competitive platform.

fr0sty wrote on 8/29/2017, 12:35 AM

I paid $350 for the entire suite, are you sure you saw the right upgrade price?

All in all, I'm satisfied so far. My render speeds are faster, the program looks much better. Playback speeds while editing seem improved (though I have not yet benchmarked them). Most of all, I have not yet encountered any bugs that were not the fault of another program (I had neat video hogging up all my VRAM, causing GPU renders to crash in Vegas. A quick settings change in NV fixed that.). I haven't even dug into the extra stuff bundled in the suite yet, but I already feel like the purchase was worth it. The added productivity that the faster encode times and smoother editing will provide are going to pay for this investment pretty quickly.

We still need some love shown to the audio end of things, though. Not having a 5.1 audio pipeline from Vegas through DVD Architect is a huge flaw. No editing suite that claims to be able to take you from cameras to DVD professionally should have omitted something as common as surround sound. If licensing is an issue, at least let us use 8 channel wav files for surround sound on Blu-Ray discs.

Lukasz wrote on 8/29/2017, 1:04 AM

The problem is that magix will not make one stable version as it already releases upgrde to the new version of the unstable and in the paid addition. I hold key vegas because it has Polish language but if edius or premiere had in my set Polish language it would change the software without stability because of lack of stability. I really like vegas but I already have enough as I program to freeze and interrupt work or when rendering slings in different parts of the clip.

fr0sty wrote on 8/29/2017, 1:25 AM

I haven't been able to make V15 crash yet. So far, so good. Try the demo and see if it does what you need. If not, wait until something else does.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

megabit wrote on 8/29/2017, 5:27 AM

Sorry - sorry - sorry again. I only upgraded to 14 because of the hints from Magix the t/l speed would be way better with nVidia GPU than it had been with the Sony's VP 13; it turned out it was not (actually slower). Now you want a lot of my money again, but from what I see with the Trial VP15 not much has improved in this regard again (using ACES or Logarist workflow never makes my GTX 1080 work harder than 20-25% load - which is outright pathetic :()... I'm out.

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 8/29/2017, 9:23 AM

@megabit We wish you all the best. Hopefully you will find another software and community which suits you better.

For anybody who is interested, have a look at Gary's comments which are always giving great insight. This is one of my favorite quotes from him:

We are aware of many bugs. We'll fix as many as we can following a logical and reasonable release schedule and balancing their importance with the importance of implementing new features that users are also asking for. I hope that bugs that are most impacting you individually will be fixed, but I can't promise that for all users.

On a more recent note, I'd recommend you reading this comment where he expresses himself regarding several questions.

Jam_One wrote on 8/29/2017, 9:40 AM

Dear MAGIX Creative Team!

Please consider the possibility of given users yet another one option of "UI skinning" -- Use System Color Palette.

...Just the Windows settings for the entire UI. Please!

IAM4UK wrote on 8/29/2017, 10:13 AM

Downloaded the trial. Set the layout to match what I use in VP13. Opened recent project, and appreciated the visual choices.

But playing content from the timeline revealed that the preview (with similar quality settings to those set in VP13) is outrageously slow and stuttering. I must have a setting incorrect, but cannot find what it might be. Comparable preview RAM, the AMD 390 GPU active for preview assist... Any ideas?

NickHope wrote on 8/29/2017, 11:50 AM

Downloaded the trial. Set the layout to match what I use in VP13. Opened recent project, and appreciated the visual choices.

But playing content from the timeline revealed that the preview (with similar quality settings to those set in VP13) is outrageously slow and stuttering. I must have a setting incorrect, but cannot find what it might be. Comparable preview RAM, the AMD 390 GPU active for preview assist... Any ideas?

What type of media? What decoder plugin getting used? This might help. If not then I suggest a new post in the Vegas Pro video forum with more info.

IAM4UK wrote on 8/29/2017, 1:08 PM

Thanks for the insight, Nick. I will experiment.

Files were from GH4, and from DJI Phantom 4. MP4 containers, presumably AVC?

animagic wrote on 8/29/2017, 8:15 PM

Is there any grace period for those who recently upgraded to version 14? I believe I bought the beginning of July 2017.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 8/29/2017, 8:50 PM

I haven't been able to make V15 crash yet. So far, so good. Try the demo and see if it does what you need. If not, wait until something else does.

Have you tried closing it? I get a crash every time. I guess you don't use Vegasaur. Does it lock up for you if you move the master volume slider while it is docked? For the changes that have been made and the number of bugs unfixed the upgrade price is excessive. I've downloaded Resolve. I'd like to stay with Vegas but can't really find reasons for doing so.

Kinvermark wrote on 8/29/2017, 9:59 PM

FYI, I am not getting the "crash on closing," and I do use Vegasaur.

megabit wrote on 8/29/2017, 10:26 PM

@megabit We wish you all the best. Hopefully you will find another software and community which suits you better.

Matthias - like most of us here, I've been with Vegas (and this great community here) for so many years that it's not an easy thing to give up. But I'll tell you what: if Magix is still planning for VP to become a really modern NLE, why not make me an alpha-tester of your very early concepts in hardware acceleration, HDR grading - i.e. all this that VP15 is still missing? I'll do it free for you, but you would provide me with free Vegas builds. My productin I've doing in Resolve for 2 years now anyway, so I guess my proposal is a fair one.

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

NickHope wrote on 8/30/2017, 12:35 AM

Have you tried closing it? I get a crash every time. I guess you don't use Vegasaur. Does it lock up for you if you move the master volume slider while it is docked? For the changes that have been made and the number of bugs unfixed the upgrade price is excessive. I've downloaded Resolve. I'd like to stay with Vegas but can't really find reasons for doing so.

I use Vegasaur and I don't get the crash on closing. Vegas also doesn't lock up if I move the master volume slider while playing/not-playing, docked or undocked. These sound like issues related to your specific setup.

Kit-As-Was wrote on 8/30/2017, 12:59 AM

What do you think could be causing these problems in my set up. My details are in my profile. Thanks.

NickHope wrote on 8/30/2017, 4:46 AM

What do you think could be causing these problems in my set up. My details are in my profile. Thanks.

Really difficult to say. I have seen the "Vegas Pro has stopped working" message very occasionally on exit in VP14 and I think once or twice on VP15. It usually happened when I had been messing about in some 3rd party plugin or script just before I exited. It's a very difficult one to pin down, but a harmless "crash" by the sound of it. It drove a former SCS developer crazy.

The master volume slider issue has been around for years too. Here's an old report. The only thing I can think of is that it's specific to Windows 7. I've never seen it, and I jumped from XP to Windows 8. Or maybe your specific sound card.