VEGAS Pro 15 Update 2 (build 261) - General Discussion

Comments

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2017, 3:53 AM

I didn't see that option to create proxies before, that's handy. Is there a script that automates swapping them out? I would have done proxies with this project, but it has a quick turnaround time so unfortunately I didn't have time for this one. I'll try setting DRAM to 0 and report back if it helps.

Edit: Unfortunately, no luck. I don't think it's a hardware thing, either, as while it is working ok the performance is actually decent. It's only when I do certain things that it locks up, such as resizing events, pausing it at a time it is busy, or making pretty much any change to anything while it is lagging. I can deal with the lag, and still get decent 4K editing done quickly without proxies (when there isn't time for them), if we can just get that stability ironed out.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/11/2017, 5:46 AM, changed a total of 4 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2017, 5:07 AM

I'm also noticing some glitching on my gopro angle, see attached images. Someone walked by the gopro onstage and knocked it off center, so I have some pan/scan going on here to reposition it, but otherwise there are no effects active in this shot.

Edit: As expected, I finally crashed my way through the entire song (2 songs actually), and went to render a 4K NVEnc, it freezes at 17%. My fan is whirring away, but GPU usage is at 0%. CPU at 44%. I've had this problem before. I forgot to disable so4... actually I had disabled it before, but somehow it got re-enabled.

I hate to say it, but Vegas 15 is currently a mess. Hopefully the next update doesn't take too long and can address these issues.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/11/2017, 7:07 AM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

set wrote on 12/11/2017, 8:44 AM

Is there a script that automates swapping them out?

It is simply creating a low-res proxy version (extension .svp0 if I remember correctly) besides the original file. During editing with preview quality, Vegas Pro will automatically uses this format for preview... But, in the final render, Vegas Pro will use the original file to render.

I hate to say it, but Vegas 15 is currently a mess. Hopefully the next update doesn't take too long and can address these issues.

😞 -

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2017, 9:28 AM

That is handy, I will try that out.

It's sad really, Vegas has potential to dominate the market if they can just get it stable and then work on modernizing it a bit. I know they're a small team, I have faith in them and I'm happy with the work done so far, but there's still a long way to go. It can get very frustrating when there are big projects on the line! I finally got it to render after disabling so4. It's going way slower than it should be... one of the angles only has a levels adjustment on it but crawls by at 0.5 fps if not slower. I do have neat video cleaning up noise on the gopro, and a LUT converting the gh5 vlog to rec709, but other than that, the other angles should not be rendering so slowly. The wide and one of my closeups fly by, but the other angles crawl. With NVENC on my GTX 970, I'm getting a 7.5 hour encode for 20 minutes of video.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

set wrote on 12/11/2017, 9:46 AM

The compatibility to the wide-variety of hardware specifications is still one from some big challenges to solve.. (some may find VP15 is perfect stable - while other may find it is totally crashes a lot, like yours) - at least that's what I monitor from this forum as a moderator here... I only able to help communicate the issue to developers - I have take note of your experience here in our moderator's list.

BTW, I noticed that disabling the unused 'lower layer clips on the timeline' can also help faster the rendering process...

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

gary-rebholz wrote on 12/11/2017, 10:28 AM

@fr0sty, I'm very sorry for these new problems. We understand the pain this causes you and are working hard to figure out what's gone wrong.

if they can just get it stable and then work on modernizing it a bit.

Therein lies the rub, as they say. So many of these issues are a direct result of major modernization work we've been doing. No matter how much we've tested with some very smart and talented beta testers, the only way to catch everything is by the test that it goes through when everyone starts pounding on it with the myriad of formats, cameras, setups, and so on that exist only in the real world.

I understand how frustrated you must be to have the new update break your workflow, but I felt compelled to write and thank you for your cool head in handling your frustration. It shows a willingness to work together to continue improving, and I appreciate that. It's not easy to handle frustration with grace, so thank you.

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2017, 11:11 AM

Thanks for the response. I've had faith in you all from the start, which is why I'm a returning customer and will continue to do so as long as Vegas can keep up with what I need. So far it has carried me for a very long time, long before I struck out on my own doing video (about 15 years), and I love seeing it grow into something modern.

The main thing I'm finding about the so4 errors, they seem common when there are a lot of files in the project media pool. It doesn't seem to care if I'm using the gh4/5 100mbps 8bit codec, or if I'm using the newer gh5 10 bit codecs, it still becomes extremely unstable before long and crashes, and renders almost always hang if rendering in 4K no matter if GPU is enabled or not. Hope that helps isolate something... If you ever need folks to help beta test upcoming versions or updates, I would love to contribute. As it is I'm going to start filming ever repeatable bug I come across, hopefully it'll help.

Thankfully, I finally have the render going at a respectable speed. I disabled neat video (it always runs slow, but it does a great job) and set NVENC to high performance mode. 2.5 hours now... I can deal with that. I'm not up against the wall as much now, the client will get their video today.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/11/2017, 11:12 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

bernd-k wrote on 12/11/2017, 11:55 AM

The Icon on the task bar is now just a generic blank page with the folded over top page corner icon, not the blue Vegas V as it was before?

Hi, just remove the blank page from the task bar and stick the v from vegas back to the task bar ;)

Norbert wrote on 12/11/2017, 12:11 PM

There is a very old problem with the ripple tool and markers, in this video I demonstrate what makes markers invisible to the program by using ripple tool.

Len Kaufman wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:01 PM

I am NOT writing this with sarcastic intent. I really want to know the answer, before I consider upgrading. Has anyone upgraded to V 261 and had NO problems? Please, this is a serious question.

gary-rebholz wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:14 PM

I really want to know the answer, before I consider upgrading. Has anyone upgraded to V 261 and had NO problems?

Your question is totally legitimate. I can see how anyone reading through the various posts here would have that same question, and I appreciate that you asked it instead of just going away disgusted. Keep in mind that this is in large part a place where many people come only when they have a problem, so it's easy to get a skewed view of the state of VP 15. I can say that we have heard great response from long-time and new customers alike. Many people are very happy with VP 15.

A large portion of the problems we see reported here are related to the major video engine work we did and are often specific to certain cameras/formats. The only way for anyone to answer the question of whether you should upgrade or not is for you yourself to download the trial version. Try it for a while with your system, hardware, files, and workflow. You'll find out very quickly whether your specific setup touches some of the problem areas that you read about here. Chances are high that all will work great, but only you'll be able to really answer that question.

All that said, I'm always reassured to hear satisfied users convey their experiences here too, so if you have positive experiences to share with Len, please do!

Len Kaufman wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:22 PM

Thank you for the quick response Gary. If I download the trial, will it override my already installed v216? Or will it set up a separate installation? So far, I've had no complaints/issue with previous upgrades.

Marco. wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:27 PM

Updated builds overwrite former builds of same versions. Only Upgrades to new versions do separately install.

gary-rebholz wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:32 PM

Ah...of course...you are already a 15 user...I knew that. You used the word "upgrade" which threw me as that implies a paid step up to the new version (14 to 15), as opposed to a free update, which you're talking about here from one build of 15 to the next.In that case, yes it will overwrite the old build, so if you're concerned about it, don't do that unless you've kept the old installer so you can get back. Then wait for other (more objective) input from guys who don't work for the developers...

Len Kaufman wrote on 12/11/2017, 1:34 PM

Again, thank you, Gary and Marco. I thought that to be the case, but just wanted to verify. I should have said update instead of upgrade.

fr0sty wrote on 12/11/2017, 2:27 PM

Len, if you disable the so4compoundplug.dll referenced elsewhere in the forums (there's a sticky thread), you'll be able to use it with decent reliability. I do not regret my purchase, even if I've been put in a panic over it a time or two. Each time the problem has been able to be resolved in time to deliver.

Last changed by fr0sty on 12/11/2017, 2:28 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Len Kaufman wrote on 12/11/2017, 3:40 PM

Thank you, fr0sty. I've already purchased v15. Just on the fence about updating. Have several jobs this week, so I think I'll wait 'til the dust settles. v116 is working fine for me (without disabling so4compoundplug.dll).

walter-i. wrote on 12/11/2017, 4:29 PM

Has anyone upgraded to V 261 and had NO problems?

"Me too!"

But I have to say, I only work with AVCHD-files from Sony AX53 and not very complicated projects.
I'm satified so far in all cases I work with.

andy-wright wrote on 12/12/2017, 8:47 AM

upgraded from 14 and before that 12. have been disappointed with the amount of crashes when editing projects in v15. I had problems in 14 hence the upgrade, plus a few of the other titbits such as render speed. also the GPU support crashes every time and is now turned off so making by 11gb geforce card pointless. I regret upgrading to v15 and would love to rewind time and get a refund. the bells n whistles do not justify the upgrade because the basics are the same as v14...

Martin L wrote on 12/13/2017, 1:58 AM

For me, VP15 has been as solid as 14, or better. Crashes do occur from time to time though, as they do in most other advanced software too, but not very often. Usually I can edit for days on end without a single issue. Then a crash happens a few times. Then it will be fine again for a few days or a week or two. But I always press save after each major edit move, just in case.

I deal almost exclusively with HD mp4 from a C100, plus the same format from a couple of other cameras, 2.7K Protune from GoPros (which I covert to Cineform in GoPro Studio), 4K from a DJI Osmo and occasionally footage from my iPhone 7+. Haven't tried HEVC yet from the phone. I also recently got myself a Mavic Pro Platinum drone, but haven't used it for filming yet. Still practicing flight.

Timcarrdp wrote on 12/15/2017, 12:45 AM

VEGAS Pro 15 Update 2 (build 261) has been released.

General discussion in this thread please. Please make a new post or comment on an existing one for specific issues.

Official announcement with Patch Notes

VEGAS Pro 15 (build 261) installer

If you already have VEGAS Pro 15 (build 216) installed, there is no need to uninstall it. The build 261 should overwrite your installation and retain your settings. Your computer will need to be online for activation after the update.

If you are installing VEGAS Pro 15 for the first time, it is generally better to install using a VEGAS Pro download manager. See here for details & links.

Previous general discussion thread: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/vegas-pro-15-update-1-build-216-general-discussion--108930/

Still no RED Weapon or Epic-W support? This is Sony all over again.

miroslav-h wrote on 12/18/2017, 3:16 AM

Hi guys,

I have problem with VP 15. So far I used VP14 my pc is: i7-6800K 4,1GHz, 1. SSD is system, 2. SSD videos + project, GPU: Radeon R9 380.

I use Panasonic GH5 10 bit v-log (when using VP14 I converted).

In VP 14 I edited 4K video with no problem and with full preview, but yesterday I upgrated to VP 15 and it is 3 times slower! It is almost not possible to edit on the timeline due to huge lags.

Please can you help me? Is there something I missed to do i preferences or so?

Thank you a lot

Midloch

hockeynutt wrote on 12/18/2017, 6:23 AM

I have not upgraded to 15 yet and will not until an audio issue is resolved. Can anyone tell me, with PRO 15......if you group or select a bunch of audio tracks, edit out a chunk, then crossfade, can you choose the fade type and it will change all selected tracks? This is such a complete pain. Thanks

robyr1 wrote on 12/19/2017, 2:10 AM

Hi @redpaw,

Do you mind sending me your ticket number via personal message? I can have a look at that.

Either way, I think within the scope of a complex project such as this, the priorities can change and should change according to the ever changing circumstances. Just have a look at Gary's comment history. He gives great insight how and why some decisions are being made.

Hi Mathias!

i sent a tiket to * *, my Vegas Pro 15 doesn't recognize ALL the new metadatas of my RED Scarlet-W camera, seems to be "stopped" to REDGAMMA2 of Vegas Pro 9!! Can you please update the metadatas of RED cameras like all the rest of the NLE software done already? Danke!