Comments

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2022, 9:37 AM

HSL curves has greatly expanded my color grading abilities... but other areas of the CGP need work when in HDR mode, such as curves or levels. Values get cropped to 100 nits if you make any adjustments to either curves or levels.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/10/2022, 9:38 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

pierre-k wrote on 8/10/2022, 10:40 AM

Since this is an official feedback thread, I'll post everything here.

There is no point in commenting on the smoothness of the preview, because this update does not improve anything like that.

I was pleasantly surprised by the VST revision. If I had plugins in VP19 even on the overall output, there were frequent sound drops. When scrolling the project in the Timeline at runtime, the situation was even worse. The solution was to increase the Playback Buffering to at least 0.25. But this caused delayed reactions when starting playback with the space bar. In VP20 there is no such thing. Everything is without dropouts even at 0.10. I'm really excited about it.

Good job!

Fixing old bugs always makes me happier than new features.

PROBLEM:

NEW: Too high demands on Dram memory during editing.
For large projects with lots of Ful HD MXF, the Dram limit reaches 16GB. Vegas becomes unusable and cuts drastically.

In VP 19, Dram stays in the range of 11-13GB and can be used without problems.

Third Party VST2 and VST3 - Knob Controls.
If you slide and twist the knobs in the VP19, everything is smooth.
In VP20, the movement is very jerky and delayed.

Double click on Preview Windows works differently than in VP19.

If I double-click on the Preview window in VP19, it enlarges so that I can grab it by the top bar and move it with it. If I do the same thing in VP20, it enlarges so that the top bar is hidden and I have to turn off VP20 hard because the Preview window covers everything.

This is happening to me on a 1920x1080 monitor

VST window in Preferences - bug and update

INOVATION:

NORMALIZE BUTTON

If you need to normalize one, max two events then Ok. If you have multiple events, you have to use the traditional right-click method.

Suggestion for improvement:

If you select multiple events, just click the Normalize button for just one event and all selected ones will change.

VST3

Please add the VST3 folder to the FX window.

Kloverton wrote on 8/10/2022, 12:22 PM

My feedback. Same old laggy s**it. Sorry guys don't want to be rude, but same story as in VP19 and previouse. Droped in 8K file from Sony A1, and each frame in preview loads for about 10 seconds, in preview auto! RTX 3090, 128GB Ram, i9 - 7960X. Thanks for a new version which still doesnt work at all for cut and edit, and as a 12 years user of these software, these in unacceptable, and you can shout as much as you want about new features, but it doesnt even work for cut and color. Slideshow in Preview, and Rendering 1.5 fps with no color added a 1 minute clip. 18FPS in Davinci with all the color. I'm not going to pay such a high price, for features not everyone needs, in software that can't even handle basic stuff. Goodbye.

Last changed by Kloverton on 8/10/2022, 12:23 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Vegas Pro 20 Build 411, Windows 11 PRO, Intel Core i9 10980XE (4.9Ghz all cores) with Direct Die and Luquid Metal + EK Waterblock, RTX 4090 EK Water Cooled, 128GB DDR4 G.Skill 3800Mhz, Samsung 980 Pro 2TBx4, Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega, Creative SoundBlaster X5, Elgato 4K 60 Pro x2, Seasonic Prime TX 1600W Titanium. Custom EK Water Cooling, with Direct Die and Liquid Metal, 420mm EK Radiator 45mm thick, 2x 360 EK Radiators, 45mm thick, D5 Revo Pump. 12X Noctua Coolers, four of those are 140mm, others 120mm.

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2022, 1:19 PM

I downloaded your 8k media on a slower system and was able to cut and color it without issue. Perhaps you should learn how proxies work.

Last changed by fr0sty on 8/10/2022, 1:19 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

pierre-k wrote on 8/10/2022, 1:24 PM

I downloaded your 8k media on a slower system and was able to cut and color it without issue. Perhaps you should learn how proxies work.

I wouldn't really suggest an internal proxy. This needs a major overhaul. She is promised by the team.

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2022, 1:33 PM

She was never promised to be able to edit 8k media without proxies in VEGAS 20 at launch.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Kloverton wrote on 8/10/2022, 1:35 PM

Perhaps developers shoud know how it plays smoothly in Davinci in full res without proxies.

Vegas Pro 20 Build 411, Windows 11 PRO, Intel Core i9 10980XE (4.9Ghz all cores) with Direct Die and Luquid Metal + EK Waterblock, RTX 4090 EK Water Cooled, 128GB DDR4 G.Skill 3800Mhz, Samsung 980 Pro 2TBx4, Asus Rog Rampage VI Extreme Omega, Creative SoundBlaster X5, Elgato 4K 60 Pro x2, Seasonic Prime TX 1600W Titanium. Custom EK Water Cooling, with Direct Die and Liquid Metal, 420mm EK Radiator 45mm thick, 2x 360 EK Radiators, 45mm thick, D5 Revo Pump. 12X Noctua Coolers, four of those are 140mm, others 120mm.

juafromspace wrote on 8/10/2022, 2:09 PM

Congrats to the Vegas team on the new release!

Just installed version 20 and it was nice to see it scan my VST3 plugins when I started it.

The new additions to the colour grading panel look great, I'll have to learn how to use those HSL curves😀

Interestingly, Vegas 20 also runs much faster for me than my Vegas19 installation... that is probably because I had upgraded my graphics card some time ago and did not reinstall Vegas 19 after that... maybe it's because Vegas 20 is now a fresh installation? Is that plausible?

Question: is it possible to disable the new feature "Fade In/Out included in Paste Event Attributes"? This change really breaks my workflow, so if there was a setting to switch back to the old behaviour, that would be greatly appreciated.

Pridak wrote on 8/10/2022, 2:15 PM

Perhaps developers shoud know how it plays smoothly in Davinci in full res without proxies.

It’s sad and painful but you’re right. Using VP for a long time and will use, but really hate bad performance comparing to anothers NLE. When editing documentary or bigger projects with large high resolution videos it hurts. Can do lots with VEGAS, workflow is (in my opinion) great and can do everything fast. Only problem at the moment is performance, Video Preview needs improvement. And must say that will be real game changer. VEGAS is great and love it much more than any other NLE, but still need to be polished on basic functionality.

james-ollick wrote on 8/10/2022, 2:25 PM

Please provide the direct download link. The one used with vegasedit20_dlm_z72jp2 is not downloading, just sits there spinning. Thank you.

Home built PC - Corsair case, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Code motherboard, i9 9900k, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz,  Sapphire Nitro+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24GB graphics card, Corsair 1000 watt power supply. Windows 11.

VP 21 BCC 2024 Boris FX Continuum Complete, Titler Pro v7. Various NewBlue effects.

Seb-o wrote on 8/10/2022, 2:59 PM

It’s sad and painful but you’re right. Using VP for a long time and will use, but really hate bad performance comparing to anothers NLE. When editing documentary or bigger projects with large high resolution videos it hurts. Can do lots with VEGAS, workflow is (in my opinion) great and can do everything fast. Only problem at the moment is performance, Video Preview needs improvement. And must say that will be real game changer. VEGAS is great and love it much more than any other NLE, but still need to be polished on basic functionality.

I don't wish to "pile on" (or perhaps I do) but the only way the developers (actually MANAGEMENT, sorry dev) will get the message about "toys" vs. BASIC FUNCTIONALITY. THEY ARE LOST and have been for about - well, quite a few years. New tires and hot rims for the Model T, whoopee!!!

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 8/10/2022, 3:39 PM

Yeah, the usual rude comments and disrespect towards the Vegas developers !

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2022, 3:54 PM

Zdo... I mean Seb-o, you keep kicking the same dead horse even though you've been told over, and over, and over exactly why we aren't seeing those improvements yet... there simply hasn't been time to implement them. VEGAS had to spend years playing catch up after Sony left VEGAS to die, and they're only just now reaching the point where they can back off a bit and work on the foundation itself. Performance improvements do not sell software, you need new features as well, especially when you are not anywhere near feature parity with the compettiion and the community is loudly demanding those features be put in place.

You may notice that VEGAS 20 is lighter on features than previous versions... there's reasons for this... some of which are addressing exactly what you are complaining about.

Dreu-Leake wrote on 8/10/2022, 5:54 PM

Anyone know the best 4K rendering settings for Vegas pro 20

Seb-o wrote on 8/10/2022, 6:29 PM

Did I correct myself? I think I did. My comments are directed at the marketing/management folk, unless those same are also developers.....hard to say. Anyway, we can celebrate some forward movement, yay, but I feel for others who simply now feel compelled to get of the Vegas bus, and I sense their ambivalence. I am more commiserating with them than anything. I mean, I have Deep Learning modules I've yet to install in the last couple of releases. Just fluff.....and a waste of time -- to give me ??? So, yes, I've been redundant, but somethings bear repeating. Thanks for understanding, I'll go try out the program now. Maybe there's something in there I can actually use. Let's see.

Seb-o wrote on 8/10/2022, 7:15 PM

Sorry, I do music vids, and when the performer's lip sync is off because the "Preview" or even "Draft" playback slows down, IOW, the visual lags behind the audio - and this have been going on for years, and STILL not fixed, I'm sorry, this is starting to be a clown show. We're talking HD footage and playback, not 4K or 8K, when the thing has already crashed - in my first test session......What AMMA supposed to do, fan bois????? JUMP UP and scream halleluiah, the same dog has a new number???

Seb-o wrote on 8/10/2022, 7:20 PM

It even lags in RAM preview, "Good" settings......unbelievable....and this is not new, just a continuation of the s show. C'mon MAGIX, fix this dog!!

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 8/10/2022, 7:46 PM

@Kloverton I also downloaded it, graded it, and captured previewing it... no troubles no dramas. I did use proxies, however, and also tried media substitution which gives more accurate preview in edit.

RogerS wrote on 8/10/2022, 7:58 PM

It even lags in RAM preview, "Good" settings......unbelievable....and this is not new, just a continuation of the s show. C'mon MAGIX, fix this dog!!

You sure your system is working okay? I could edit multicam HD on Vegas 12 with a computer a decade old without issues. Ram previews inherently perform well (until they run out of memory). I've been using them with a morph flow transition with moving text and images quite well. Maybe create a new thread for troubleshooting.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark: https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark: https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

jeffrey-hoover wrote on 8/10/2022, 8:27 PM

Downloaded VP20 installed. I was surprised to see that there is no option at installation to integrate Hitfilm pro as with vp19. Is that option coming?

Dexcon wrote on 8/10/2022, 8:48 PM

Re HitFilm Pro, a workaround with a previous version of VP was to copy HitFilm.fio2007-config from the main VEGAS Pro ??.0 directory from an earlier VP version (e.g. VP19 these days) and paste it into the main directory of the new VP version (e.g. VP20).

Also note that FXHome announced with HFP version 2021.3 late last year that future releases/updates of HitFilm Pro will not have integration with Vegas Pro: https://fxhome.com/product/hitfilm-pro/updates

Features no longer available from the next update

• Integration between HitFilm and VEGAS Pro.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

fr0sty wrote on 8/10/2022, 9:00 PM

You can't get 1080p smoothly even out of a DRAM preview? What hardware are you using?

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

Seb-o wrote on 8/10/2022, 10:05 PM

Nvidia 2060, HP workstation Z420 running Zeon E1650 I believe, (higher end for that series) Fast SSD and M.2 drives, Snappy, solid build. ECC Memory, 64GB. I wish it weren't so. (laggy)..

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 8/10/2022, 10:34 PM

My Xeon 1650v4, circa 2016, with twice as much ecc ram as yours, is one of my oldest and pokiest systems. It's only saving grace is a better gpu... and I still had to add a 2nd so it could keep up. Might be time to move into the next decade. Never had an issue with visual lagging audio, however. Something's off there.