VEGAS Pro 20: Next update PREVIEW

VEGAS_CommunityManager wrote on 1/17/2023, 12:58 PM

Hello everyone. We are expecting to release the next update of VEGAS Pro 20 within the next couple of weeks. While we have been slow to release updates lately, that does not mean we have not been hard at work adding some often requested features and important bug fixes.

For this next update, we will have over 15 new features to present to you and over 30 bug fixes and stability improvements. Below are some highlights of what you will see:

Features:

• A new AI engine which will provide better support and performance on many different hardware platforms
  • Additional Color Curves in our Color Grading panel
  • A new Welcome screen which can help speed up your entry into the application

Improvements:

• A major stability fix for our HEVC decoder (also included in the recent update to VEGAS Pro 19)
  • Numerous stability fixes for our Video FX

We just ask you to be patient for a little longer as we finish up our testing for this update. We hope you will find that it is worth the wait.

Comments

m3lquixd wrote on 1/17/2023, 1:22 PM

Very anxious! 😀

Last changed by m3lquixd on 1/17/2023, 1:23 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

fr0sty wrote on 1/17/2023, 1:48 PM

Fantastic work. guys... I love how you're starting to give glimpses into the future. More of this! People like to get hyped about what's coming, and to have an idea of the roadmap for the future. That doesn't mean you have to show your entire hand, but a little tease once in a while will work wonders.

The AI speed boosts really are impressive. Y'all are gonna love the welcome screen, too. At first I was "great, more crap I gotta tell to not show again"... then I saw it... so useful! VEGAS is starting to grow into quite the powerful coloring app as well... not much it can't do at this point.

Last changed by fr0sty on 1/17/2023, 1:55 PM, changed a total of 3 times.

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Bini wrote on 1/17/2023, 4:33 PM

Please fix:

Stabilization Plugin does not work properly on heavy shaking footage.
HEVC files playback issue

"Improvements: A major stability fix for our HEVC decoder (much needed fix)"

Thank you VEGAS TEAM

m3lquixd wrote on 1/17/2023, 5:01 PM

Hope they fixed it:
- The filter pack bug that it is not possible to rename a saved preset.

- Ctrl + Z does not work when using Curves from Lane/Curves.
- Ctrl + Z in Bézier Masking doesn't work either.
- GIFs leave the complementary vegas lagged.
- Being able to drag a VFX to several tracks at the same time.

- Scroll down the vfx keyframe animation timeline with the mouse wheel. And not just for the scrolling sidebar.

Last changed by m3lquixd on 1/17/2023, 5:03 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

About me:
Hi! Melqui Calheiros Here. I've been using Vegas as my only video editor for over 10 years. I edit professionally for various influencers, public bodies and small businesses. My goal is to squeeze Vegas to the fullest! And end the prejudice that software has here in Brazil.

⬇️ Some of my jobs. ⬇️
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/post-your-vegas-creations--109464/?page=37#ca872169

PC Specs:
Operating System:
    Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
CPU:
    AMD Ryzen 3 3200G 3.60 GHz
RAM:
    32,0GB Dual-Channel DDR4 2666MHz
Motherboard:
    BIOSTAR Group B450MX-S (AM4)
Graphics:
    4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 (ZOTAC International)
Storage:
    465GB Seagate ST500DM002-1BD142 (SATA )
    238GB Lexar 256GB SSD (SATA (SSD))
  931GB KINGSTON SNV2S1000G (SATA-2 (SSD))

planetdelirium wrote on 1/18/2023, 5:32 PM

The ability to use Speech to text offline perhaps, PLEASE? Vegas is the only program I know that has this great feature but I mostly work offline.

EricLNZ wrote on 1/18/2023, 6:15 PM

The ability to use Speech to text offline perhaps, PLEASE? Vegas is the only program I know that has this great feature but I mostly work offline.

That is probably not possible as my understanding is that the cognitive services used for the Text to Speech feature is from Microsoft and is most likely cloud based.

Dexcon wrote on 1/18/2023, 7:39 PM

That is probably not possible as my understanding is that the cognitive services used for the Text to Speech feature is from Microsoft and is most likely cloud based.

That's my understanding also. And from discussions on the forum since Text to Speech was introduced, my understanding is that Vegas pays the 3rd party provider on a use-by-use basis. If Text to Speech were available in offline Vegas Pro, how would the 3rd party supplier know each time TtS was used and thus what $ amount to charge Vegas for that usage?

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Joelson wrote on 1/18/2023, 8:07 PM

@VEGASDerek @VEGAS_CommunityManager 

In the latest version of VEGAS Pro 19 Build 648 the Brazilian Portuguese language was added.

In this version, I didn't find the "Swap Video Files" option when using the Brazilian Portuguese language. In Brazilian Portuguese it is written "Trocar Arquivos de Vídeo". See the screenshot below for a better understanding.

Please see if you can reproduce this in your tests and if confirmed correct it in future versions of VEGAS.

Thanks for adding this language option to VEGAS

fr0sty wrote on 1/18/2023, 8:43 PM

That's my understanding also. And from discussions on the forum since Text to Speech was introduced, my understanding is that Vegas pays the 3rd party provider on a use-by-use basis. If Text to Speech were available in offline Vegas Pro, how would the 3rd party supplier know each time TtS was used and thus what $ amount to charge Vegas for that usage?

Exactly. The downside to the online service is no offline use, but the upside is the AI engine will continue to be updated to add new voices, new languages, and to make it more accurate as time goes... and doing so does not take resources away from the VEGAS development team to work on other areas of VEGAS Pro.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/19/2023, 8:15 AM

This is a cloud based feature...it is not possible for us to actually install this service on every machine...and besides, Microsoft, the provider of the service, wouldn't allow it. 😄

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/19/2023, 8:17 AM

In this version, I didn't find the "Swap Video Files" option when using the Brazilian Portuguese language. In Brazilian Portuguese it is written "Trocar Arquivos de Vídeo". See the screenshot below for a better understanding.

Nice catch. We will not be able to fix this before this next update releases, but I will make sure we get this fixed in the following update.

planetdelirium wrote on 1/19/2023, 8:45 AM

Thanks for the replies and answers. I went ahead and purchased Pro 365 and really, the Speech to text is fantastic. I do have a feature request in regards to this:

To be able to further customize the generated subtitles, similar to what Corel VideoStudio does, as in being able to combine subtitles into larger blocks of text. Or instead of the options of only 1 or 2 lines, to be able to increase it further up to say, 20 lines.

walter-i. wrote on 1/19/2023, 9:18 AM

I do have a feature request in regards to this:

To be able to further customize the generated subtitles, similar to what Corel VideoStudio does, as in being able to combine subtitles into larger blocks of text. Or instead of the options of only 1 or 2 lines, to be able to increase it further up to say, 20 lines.

@planetdelirium this feature request is either better addressed to Microsoft, or at least included in this thread so it doesn't get lost here.
https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/de/forum/vegas-pro-feature-requests--134374/

RogerS wrote on 1/19/2023, 9:55 AM

Maybe run the srt file through a tool like Subtitle Edit? Such titles that take up the whole screen aren't so usual for video production.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 1/19/2023, 10:13 AM

It's possible. Just only beginning to become practical for ordinary mortals. There are open-source speech generators and recognition databases but they're really big and have required allot of processing power on servers like these. Starting to see workstations based on the Nvidia 4090 like this that might be more within reach... Nvidia's been doing AI Deep Learning for years so I'd expect their newest hardware might be pretty good at it. Personally, I like the way the way AI Deep Learning fx functions that are more susceptible to local processing have been showing up in Vegas.

james-daniels wrote on 1/19/2023, 12:51 PM

Need to focus on fixing these consistent crashes that makes my job harder why am I paying for something I'm not getting full service out of!! This might be thee last month using this crap!!

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/19/2023, 2:14 PM

Need to focus on fixing these consistent crashes

@james-daniels That has been a major focus of the team over the last few months. The beta testers have indicated that the application is quite stable right now, so we hope that experience is the same for all of our customers when this update is released.

Reyfox wrote on 1/19/2023, 2:59 PM

It's rock stable over here on my computer!

Newbie😁

Vegas Pro 22 (VP18-21 also installed)

Win 11 Pro always updated

AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16 cores / 32 threads

32GB DDR4 3200

Sapphire RX6700XT 12GB Driver: 22.5.1, testing 24.7.1

Gigabyte X570 Elite Motherboard

ALO wrote on 1/19/2023, 4:54 PM

@james-daniels That has been a major focus of the team over the last few months. The beta testers have indicated that the application is quite stable right now, so we hope that experience is the same for all of our customers when this update is released.

@VEGASDerek,

This isn't your first try at a major Vegas build, and I assume you've had a similar beta test program in place in the past. Maybe it's time to take a look at the design of your beta testing program?

I do wonder if you have incentives in place that result in you getting less than complete feedback--or prevent you from discovering errors that inexperienced or atypical users are likely to generate.

My concern would be that you might have a trusted cadre of beta testers who all tend to be older (in age), highly experienced Vegas users who don't tend to do new things, ingest new formats, or click on things randomly. They probably have older, stable hardware.

Maybe try to get more adversarial people into your testing program? Increase the diversity, so to speak?

I really hope you guys pull this thing together. You are competing directly with Resolve, which is free, and which works. It really just works. I do find myself thinking that sand in the hourglass is going to run out on you sooner rather than later.

:(

Dexcon wrote on 1/19/2023, 5:02 PM

You are competing directly with Resolve, which is free, and which works. It really just works

When Resolve 18 was released, the Resolve forum had many, many posts identifying a wide range of different problems, bugs, features which didn't work, etc. It was quite surprising just how many problems that there were.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

fr0sty wrote on 1/19/2023, 5:32 PM

@VEGASDerek,

This isn't your first try at a major Vegas build, and I assume you've had a similar beta test program in place in the past. Maybe it's time to take a look at the design of your beta testing program?

I do wonder if you have incentives in place that result in you getting less than complete feedback--or prevent you from discovering errors that inexperienced or atypical users are likely to generate.

My concern would be that you might have a trusted cadre of beta testers who all tend to be older (in age), highly experienced Vegas users who don't tend to do new things, ingest new formats, or click on things randomly. They probably have older, stable hardware.

Maybe try to get more adversarial people into your testing program? Increase the diversity, so to speak?

I really hope you guys pull this thing together. You are competing directly with Resolve, which is free, and which works. It really just works. I do find myself thinking that sand in the hourglass is going to run out on you sooner rather than later.

:(

If you only had a clue...

Literally everything you just said is completely inaccurate.

The beta team is made of all ages and hardware types. Every category is represented... hobbyists, social media influencers, professionals who do large multi-camera productions using professional gear, people who mostly use VEGAS for audio, people that shoot with their cell phones, people who shoot with drones, people with older hardware, people with the top of the line monster systems, color grading experts, visual effects and motion graphics experts, etc.

Several of the ones on the team came on board as some of VEGAS' biggest critics.

VEGAS is growing, not "running out of time".

And as Dexcon points out, you're looking at Resolve through rose-colored glasses. Not to mention, it's only free if you want the vast majority of the features that make it worth it to be disabled. You can't even open 10 bit media with free resolve.

Last changed by fr0sty on 1/19/2023, 5:39 PM, changed a total of 6 times.

Systems:

Desktop

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Geforce RTX 3090

Windows 10

Laptop:

RogerS wrote on 1/19/2023, 8:27 PM

It's possible. Just only beginning to become practical for ordinary mortals. There are open-source speech generators and recognition databases but they're really big and have required allot of processing power on servers like these. Starting to see workstations based on the Nvidia 4090 like this that might be more within reach... Nvidia's been doing AI Deep Learning for years so I'd expect their newest hardware might be pretty good at it. Personally, I like the way the way AI Deep Learning fx functions that are more susceptible to local processing have been showing up in Vegas.

It's quite possible. I use Whisper (AI captioning) through Subtitle Edit. That is CPU-only and the implementation uses about 4 cores so I had it running 3 instances at a time. Did an hour transcript in 2 hours or so and heated my room nicely at the same time. Try the beta build as it has bug fixes.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD and 2TB Samsung 980 Pro cache drive, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208
VEGAS Pro 22.93

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

ALO wrote on 1/20/2023, 10:52 AM

If you only had a clue...

And yet the bugs remain. I'm not the only one trying to send you this message. I don't know why you (and those like you) are so totally deaf to this. Assuming the Magix team is making a good-faith effort to resolve these stability issues, I am suggesting your current testing system could use some improvement. That's all.

If indeed Vegas has a long and profitable future, no one will be happier than me.

Pete wrote on 1/20/2023, 12:25 PM

Curious to see if the UI bugs, like the 'giant eye' and 'disappearing text' that have plagued Vegas for two generations have been fixed. Far to many times do I need to shut down the application and reopen causing longer workflow time. Also, thank you development team for new features and other QOL improvements. We appreciate your support.