Spyder2 Colorimeters can now be found for $20-40 on eBay, Craigslist, and Thrift Stores. Although not indexed for the latest generation of LCD displays, they are quite usable with a few tweaks for Windows 10 display graphics.
- A few of the reasons to have a calibrated display include:
- Screen / Printer / Scanner matching
- Grading using 3D LUTS, which are shareable between your display and applications
- Handoff between machines with different displays
- Sharing among forum users, knowing there is coordinated monitor control
- Production for distribution and broadcast
- And of course, routine correction, white balance. and effects at the production level
NOTE: This is a medium-advanced tutorial. A knowledge of Windows system boot options, RGBY'cmyk theory and identification, Kelvin temperature, color controls, and the ability to follow exact steps is assumed. Do not attempt calibration if Adobe Gamma, Calibrize, Dynamic Contrast, Screen Enhancements, etc. are present at Startup. Do create a System Restore or Drive Image Backup (recommended) before beginning. Do turn off your touchscreen. Do have a CD ROM drive connected. If you are unwilling to bypass Windows Driver Signature Verification one time to install the open source Argyll CMS drivers, there are a few other alternatives in the jungle. Tutorial follows (14 minutes).
YMWV with other monitors and graphics panels.