Got Questions? -- Consult the Tutorials First, Please

Musicvid wrote on 12/3/2019, 12:18 PM

Hey, Vegas Owner :-)

We are all fellow users here, just like you. Certain times of year often mean hundreds of "How do I..." questions, usually the same ones. Our volunteers aren't being paid to guide each new user through hundreds of the most basic skills that one must master in order to use the software effectively. There is a learning curve, and none of us "got it" overnight. For that reason, hundreds of topics have already been covered and talked over, so graciously save some of the wear and tear on us old-timers, by looking first for your own answers. You may learn some other things along the way ...

RESOURCES TO HELP YOU GET STARTED

Already in Vegas:

• Interactive Tutorials (icon)
  • What's This? (icon )
  • Help (menu)

On This Site

On the Internet

Now, that you've looked, learned, tried, and still have questions, feel free to post informed questions and wait for a reply. Unlike social media, we have no entitlements here. If you want to get noticed, we really like those who have honestly tried to help themselves. We are good teachers, but not fortune tellers. That all said,

Welcome to the Vegas Forums!

More Links in my Signature below.

Love, Boomer

Comments

Rednroll wrote on 12/3/2019, 7:02 PM
There is a learning curve, and none of us "got it" overnight. For that reason, hundreds of topics have already been covered and talked to death, so graciously save the wear and tear on us oldtimers, from being asked to repeat fundamental directions again, and again.

People learn differently and often don't know what they don't know when they come to a forum and start asking questions. Like you stated we all were new to this at one time. On the same note, not all of us want to become an expert, wanting to do a lot of research to become an expert on that subject and are looking for a quick solution by asking for solution on a forum.

I belong to multiple forums where my expertise varies from being an offroad 4x4 Jeep modding expert and also have a vast background in working with multiple aspects of audio, including hardware and software development. That's life, we all have our areas of expertise knowledge and then there's things that we would like to know how to but not necessarily want to take the effort it would take to become an expert. I too find myself answering the same questions over and over when being an active contributor on a forum. However, I'm not a believer in telling people to go read the manual or to go use the search function since I feel it is a big turn off when I have experienced that type of attitude when I had to ask questions on topics I'm unfamiliar with.

With that said, new users are not putting a burden on you by asking the same questions you may have repeatedly answered over and over multiple times previously. You are putting that burden on yourself. If it becomes tiresome to you to answer the same question, then I have found there are a couple different solutions to reduce the burden you are placing on yourself.

The 1st solution I would suggest is to instead of continuously answering that FAQ, is to indentify those commonly asked questions and create an informative write-up thread dedicated to answering that question and bookmark it for yourself. Then when someone else happens to come along and asked that question again, then just post a link to the write-up you created and be open to answering follow up questions, and use those questions to continuously edit and improve your write-up.

The 2nd solution would be to just ignore answering the question if you're finding it tiresome to respond to again.

Musicvid wrote on 12/3/2019, 7:15 PM

Thanks for your take. You raised some good points.

For the most part, I believe those resources already exist. Facilitating access to them is still a work in progress, and I agree completely with your suggestion.

Musicvid wrote on 12/4/2019, 9:24 PM

Added Set's Movie Studio Tutorial list.

wwjd wrote on 12/5/2019, 6:38 AM

the udder day, thought I would try something different, and clicked on "HELP". Waited, nothing happened. Nothing. Nice.

vkmast wrote on 12/5/2019, 7:41 AM

@wwjd some discussion here (and Justin Case).

karma17 wrote on 12/9/2019, 11:58 PM

There's a bunch here too.

http://server808.net/

set wrote on 12/10/2019, 4:18 PM

Scrapyard Films' Youtube channel 👍

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChfzOjOIiUl08Gryk6B09_Q

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Musicvid wrote on 12/10/2019, 8:50 PM

There's a bunch here too.

http://server808.net/

Added

Scrapyard Films' Youtube channel 👍

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChfzOjOIiUl08Gryk6B09_Q

Added.

@set @vkmast Thanks to whoever elevated this discussion. I'm flabbergasted.

set wrote on 12/10/2019, 11:27 PM

You're welcome - I also pin this post for a while.

My tutorial list contains the now called 'classic' Vegas Pro (just my own terms anyway) since VP17 has made a lot of changes, especially the new color grading panel, and possibility of nesting project with faster process. So many things, so anyone who knew Vegas Pro 17 comprehensive tutorials are welcome to share.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))

System 2-2018:

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

Musicvid wrote on 12/11/2019, 1:46 AM

You're welcome - I also pin this post for a while.

I agree, this is but a seasonal message that should not remain over your excellent and thorough work. Maybe unpin in a month and perhaps revive it again next year.

Musicvid wrote on 4/28/2020, 11:37 AM

Added a current faq post. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/sony-vegas-vs-vegas--119881/

Added Magix Refund Policy. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/i-request-a-refund-on-vegas-pro--119354/

Avoid volunteer burnout. Search first. Informed questions will get better responses than dozens of identical questions.

There appear to be more new users this April than in December/January.

Moderators and volunteer members are not being paid, nor do they act in any official capacity for Vegas Creative Software.

ScrapyardFilms wrote on 5/7/2020, 10:00 AM

Hey cool I made the list! Thanks @Musicvid and @set

set wrote on 5/7/2020, 10:29 AM

Greetings @ScrapyardFilms, thanks for making tutorials. surely helps a lot of users here🙂

Setiawan Kartawidjaja

System 5-2021:

System 2-2018:

enrique-m wrote on 2/13/2021, 8:31 PM

I read about you guys being a bit tired of being asked the same questions over and over, especially from new [...], Oh! newbies... (excuse me). I certainly can UNDERSTAND this. So I am happy with being pointed to - as you have done with all the LINKS you provided - to places where I can get that information. For that I thank you!

By the way, I heard ANDREW DEVES name here somewhere. I want the world to know, I consider him a SAINT!... no less. He is the MASTER of tutorials... what a gifted man when it comes to explaining and teaching. I think he is retired now from "tutorialing" and I think this is terrible, he may not know it but he is commiting a SIN against the video [...] humanity! :))

Musicvid wrote on 2/17/2021, 12:15 PM

Thank you. Feel free to post nonspam links to other resources as you come across them.

Florida3204 wrote on 8/30/2021, 7:17 PM

This is pretty common discussion by the OP no matter what forum you visit. One thing that always stood out for me is understanding the terminology. For example, I have a problem. Not sure exactly what I'm looking for in the manual for a particular situation. That's when I post. Many times it only takes one or two replies to put me on the right path, but without those replies I'd never would have known what I needed to know to find the solution in the manual

Musicvid wrote on 8/30/2021, 8:14 PM

Yes, I agree and relate to your observation.

We actually deal with two vocabularies here: the generic, social-media type nomenclature in general use (and often incorrect), and the precise, predefined language of science (often misused, too).

I often find myself searching for a term I can't quite pin down, and sometimes sleeping on it helps me discover the right search term. Just reading a lot of posts from experienced (10+ year) veterans will give some consistency to your thinking. I put together a very basic glossary for beginners several years ago that may be of some help. More helpful links in my signature.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/speaking-good-video-a-beginner-s-guide--104463/

Reyfox wrote on 2/12/2022, 3:30 AM

Tech Dive AV Club has been doing Vegas Pro and Movie Studio videos for years

Fred-Berney wrote on 4/15/2024, 8:50 PM

I'm trying to ask a question and can not find any place other than here to post. So please, if there is a better place for me to post the following question, would someone please write to me or write here and let me know where it should be posted. That being said, here is my question.

By use the "speech to text" feature, would it be possible to take a video that has the audio in French and then end up having a text that is translated into English?

My thinking was use the "speech to test" to print out the text in French and then either use a program or web site that translates one language into another, use text and then Just insert the English subtitles where it belongs or use a feature of Vegas to do it itself if that is possible.

NickHope wrote on 4/15/2024, 10:37 PM

@Fred-Berney Best ask that as a new post in the "Vegas Pro => Audio" section.