Desktop Shortcut Needed For My Acid Pro 8 Suite Software

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/27/2020, 8:13 PM

I recently installed a new hard drive on my Toshiba Satellite Pro Laptop and installed my Acid Pro software in Windows 10. For some reason, it did not place a shortcut on my Desktop. I was able to manually pin to my Taskbar, but I want to move it to my Desktop. Please advise how to do this.

Comments

EricLNZ wrote on 9/27/2020, 9:24 PM

Suggest you post on the Magix Community forum Audio section which Acid products fall under https://www.magix.info/us/audio-forum/acid-product-family/

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/27/2020, 9:52 PM

Eric, thank you! I just posted on Magix as well.

Dexcon wrote on 9/28/2020, 12:19 AM

@Linda-Hazelip  ... the following applies to most programs:

Go to the program's directory under Program Files or Program Files (x86) in the C drive, whichever is applicable, locate the programs .exe file and copy the .exe file, then go to the desktop and R click and select Paste Shortcut. The program's icon should then appear on the desktop - and you can change the name of the icon by R clicking on the icon and select Rename.

OR ...

R click on the desktop and select from the context window 'New' then 'Shortcut'. Use the Browse button to search for the .exe file in the C drive, select it and then hit 'Next' and then you can change the name of the icon to your liking, and then hit 'Finish'.

Last changed by Dexcon on 9/28/2020, 5:47 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Windows 10 Home

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 1TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD

D drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

E & F drives: 2 x 2TB Barracuda HDDs 2.5"

Musicvid wrote on 9/28/2020, 3:31 PM

I wish people wouldn't choose a software application to learn Windows 101. Every public middle school in the US (and I presume elsewhere) teaches computer resource and literacy classes as part of its mandated curriculum. All these kinds of questions show is that they weren't paying attention, and may not become the most engaged learners of Vegas Creative Software titles, either.

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/28/2020, 6:31 PM

Dexcon, thank you for your kindness in providing detailed instructions. Unfortunately, the shortcut that is created is based on the installation application .exe that you run to install the program. I tried this on two programs and the same occurs. Any further instruction you can provide for a shortcut that will simply Open the existing program is greatly appreciated.

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/28/2020, 6:35 PM

Musicvid, respectfully, you should not make assumptions that I am the age when in school your suggested courses were offered. Fifty years ago computers were not even in a person's imagination. Respectfully, in the future, please do not post unless you have a constructive answer.

Dexcon wrote on 9/28/2020, 8:49 PM

@Linda-Hazelip  ... it seems like the setup.exe file or an installation .exe file is being selected rather than the program .exe file.

While I don't have Acid Pro, the above shows SoundForge Pro 14 which is in the C:\Program Files/SOUND FORGE/SOUND FORGE PRO 14 directory. For SFP14, the program file (circled in red) is Forge140.exe - this definitely opens the program. When SFP14 was installed, this is the .exe file to which the installation linked when it auto created the desktop icon.

With Acid Pro 10, it is likely that the program .exe file will be called acid100.exe (a Google search showed that the program .exe file for Acid Pro 6 was acid60.exe).

Hoping this helps.

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Windows 10 Home

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/28/2020, 9:59 PM

Dexcon, thank you for your continued technical assistance. For Acid 8.0, there are two .exe files. One is an application and the other is a compressed (zip) file. Here is a screen print of the acid80 files. Are you able to identify which one it would be? This is only the acid80 files, many more listed.

Your continued assistance is greatly appreciated.

Dexcon wrote on 9/28/2020, 10:45 PM

As per EricNZ, almost certainly the top acid80 as it not only has the Acid icon to the left, but it's also an Application file.

I see that the .exe file extension doesn't display. What could help here is to go to 'View' in File Explorer and then in the Quick Access Toolbar at the top of the window select 'Options' and then in the Options window that opens select the View tab. The 7th checkbox down should be 'Hide extensions for known file types'. Uncheck that option, hit Apply and OK. Common file extension names like .exe should then show in File Explorer.

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

Windows 10 Home

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/29/2020, 7:23 AM

Eric / Dexcon, thank you for your assistance. Here is the solution on Magix!

Click on the Windows Start-Button in the bottom left corner of the screen. Type in "Acid". The program icon should appear in the list of search results. Click with the right mouse button on the icon and select "Open file location". A folder window pops up with the icon inside. Right click the icon and select "Send to -> Desktop"

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/29/2020, 7:25 AM

Musicvid, I responded in haste and should have said desktop computing. I graduated in 1972 with a degree in Assembly and RPG programming languages. Desktop computing (operating systems) is much more recent.

fr0sty wrote on 9/29/2020, 12:18 PM

Windows used to make this easy, all you had to do is right click on a file anywhere in windows and select "send to desktop". Now, if you aren't clicking on the actual .exe file that launches the program (i.e., not a shortcut link), you do not get that option. So, you'll have to navigate to your program files folder, find the actual .exe that launches the program in question, right click on it, go to "send to", then "send to desktop".

Systems:

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 1800x 8 core 16 thread at stock speed

64GB 3000mhz DDR4

Radeon VII

Windows 10

Laptop:

ASUS Zenbook Pro Duo 32GB (9980HK CPU, RTX 2060 GPU, dual 4K touch screens, main one OLED HDR)

Musicvid wrote on 9/29/2020, 2:56 PM

Linda, I apologize for lumping you in with our growing base of reluctant learners.

I typed "creating shortcuts in Windows 10" in a Google search, and this was the first result:

https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/make-desktop-shortcuts-windows-10

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/29/2020, 7:18 PM

Frusty, thank you for your response. Please see my response earlier this morning with the instructions that do work.

Linda-Hazelip wrote on 9/29/2020, 7:24 PM

Musicvid, I accept your apology. I realize some questions may be frustrating, but Windows 10 makes some things more difficult than previous versions. Thank you for providing instructions for both Modern and Desktop Apps. I really appreciate this link.