How to avoid SFK files?

webdown wrote on 3/21/2019, 11:35 PM

Hello,

Why dos Vegas creates .sfk files each time you import, render, capture footage?

I usually clean those extra files via explorer because so many files confused the viewing and searching of files (and it did not change anything - does it mean these files are useless?)

Is there any way to tell Vegas (I'm using vegas 15) to stop creating these files?

Thank you

Comments

Killamarshian wrote on 3/22/2019, 1:13 AM

Vegas software creates SFK files, or peak files, for all audio events imported into a project. These files contain data which helps draw the waveform on the screen. They allow files, especially large ones, to be opened quickly. In general, these files are created automatically by the program and are extermely small in size. After closing the project, they can be deleted, but will be generated again next time the software needs to display the audio file's waveform (like when you re-open the project).

https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/567/~/what-are-sfk-files%3F

Killamarshian wrote on 3/22/2019, 2:04 AM

https://vegasaur.com/sweeper

A very useful tool

webdown wrote on 3/24/2019, 11:48 PM

Can a softwere that hide these file automaticly!

john-baker wrote on 4/5/2019, 11:16 AM

Hi

. . . . Can a softwere that hide these file automaticly! . . . .

This may not be desirable, assuming you have Windows Explorer in its standard mode ie hiding files marked as hidden, there could be that some time in the future the hidden files would be forgotten and then you end up losing large quantities of disc space, which may be limited if using SSD drives, and then trying to find the reason why.

Once a project is finished they can be deleted manually, this can be a laborious task however.

I use a backup program, SyncBack, to back up my projects to external hard drive and, like several others, it has the capability of 'black listing' specified file extensions from being backed up.

Once backup is complete I delete the entire project on the working drive.

HTH

John EB

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VPX, MEP Premium, MEP Pro Premium, Video Pro X4, MEP 2016, and earlier versions, Music Maker Premium, Music Maker 2016, 2015, DVD Architect 7 build 100..

Running Windows 10 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 60Gb internal SSD, + 6 x 2Tb ext HDDs, Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Contour HD 1080 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

EricLNZ wrote on 4/7/2019, 6:21 AM

There is a way to avoid sfk files but it may not be desirable or convenient, and that is to have your source files located somewhere where Vegas cannot write the sfk files. It then has to recreate them each time. I discovered this with MS12 Suite which came with some Sony music tracks. I placed these in my C:\Program files along with MS12. Whenever I used one of the tracks I found when opening the project the sfk files were being redone. I've subsequently moved the music tracks elsewhere to avoid this.

karma17 wrote on 4/17/2019, 4:53 AM

Agree with getting Vegasaur and using Sweeper function.