Importing MXF files where video files are separate from audio files

tom-j wrote on 8/18/2022, 3:02 PM

Hi all! I have a question about importing footage. One of my videographers sent me a/v files from a Panasonic AG HPX370. The audio files are separate (not embedded in the video file). 4 tracks of audio, to be exact. An example of 1 clip - the video file is 0001P9.mxf. The 4 tracks of audio associated with this file - 0001P900.mxf, 0001P901.mxf, 0001P902.mxf, 0001P903.mxf

He says his Final Cut Pro software automatically knows they are linked and imports them all in together. But I can't figure out for the life of me how to import this in Vegas - all the files are treated completely separate and unlinked from each other. Help! Anyone ever run into this?

I'm using Vegas v18. Many thanks in advance!

Tom

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 8/18/2022, 3:18 PM

I would have him send you a muxed ProRes file from Final Cut. It should have all the audio tracks.

Joelson wrote on 8/19/2022, 9:56 AM

To import this type of MXF, all files must remain in the CONTENTS folder and maintain the original structure so that video and audio are correctly recognized in the editing program.

VEGAS also automatically knows they are linked and imports them all together into two stereo audio streams, each with two audio channels.

If you want to add all audio channels separately, just go to Tools > Preferences and check the Import MXF as Multichannel and Import Stereo as Dual Mono options.

I made a small video showing this procedure. Good luck!

tom-j wrote on 8/19/2022, 10:20 AM

Thank you Joelson - that did it! Thank you so much!!!

21stCenturyStudios wrote on 2/6/2023, 2:27 PM

Hey Jowelson youre right, thanks. BTW I beleive its options/preferences not tools preferences to get to it