M2TS and MTS

JohnJ wrote on 11/2/2017, 2:11 PM

Hello,

I am preparing a project in Vegas Pro 13 using MTS output from my video camera. A friend has given me his output to add to the project but this is in M2TS format and the two don't seem to mix very well as the M2TS is jerky, although fine when viewed seperately. Please can someone advise me whether there is any way to convert M2TS to MTS within Vegas Pro 13?

Thanks

JohnJ

Comments

astar wrote on 11/2/2017, 4:21 PM

Convert the source media to an intermediate like Cineform, XAVC-intra, or XDCAM-EX (HD only).

Alternatively, use FFMPEG to change the MTS(M2TS) container to AVI or MOV.

ffmpeg -i <input-mts-filename>.mts -vcodec copy -acodec pcm_s16le -ar 48000 -ac 2 <output-filename>.avi/.mov

For some MTS camera, the audio is recorded in AC-3, this will copy the video codec as is, and covert the audio to PCM16bit@48Khz with 2 channels inside a .AVI or .MOV container.

"convert M2TS to MTS within Vegas Pro 13" Sometime you need a different tool to conform media. FFMPEG listed above will change containers and not lose a generation. Converting in Vegas will step the media down a generation.

My VP13 will read M2TS from a canon camera that I have. If Vegas will see the media, you can convert it to anything Vegas supports.

NickHope wrote on 11/2/2017, 8:21 PM
I am preparing a project in Vegas Pro 13 using MTS output from my video camera. A friend has given me his output to add to the project but this is in M2TS format and the two don't seem to mix very well as the M2TS is jerky, although fine when viewed seperately. Please can someone advise me whether there is any way to convert M2TS to MTS within Vegas Pro 13?

Please share MediaInfo and Vegas File Properties for the files. There could even be a mismatch of frame rate.

PeterDuke wrote on 11/3/2017, 6:19 PM

MTS and m2ts are the same thing, namely MPEG2 transport stream container modified with the addition of of extra 4 bytes in each packet to improve playback. It was created for Blu-ray Discs and later adopted for AVCHD but because the latter used a file system that only supported 8.3 character file names all upper case, m2ts was renamed to MTS (as well as other cosmetic changes to file names). AVCHD file lengths are limited to 2GB for Sony or 4 GB for Panasonic because of the file system, so longer scenes are split into chunks in the camera that need to be concatenated back into a single file before use in video editors. Failure to do so will result in usually a two frame loss in the video and a longer loss in the audio at the join.

The reported problem must be due to the underlying video coder, not MTS itself.

Musicvid wrote on 11/4/2017, 10:28 AM

The BDAV spec includes both HDV and AVCHD.

JohnJ wrote on 11/5/2017, 3:13 AM

Thanks everyone who has suggested a solution. The odd thing is that I have 2 other friends who use the same make and model camera as the one I am having trouble with and there is no problem incorporating the output of these 2 friends into my projects.

PeterDuke wrote on 11/5/2017, 3:42 AM

The BDAV spec includes both HDV and AVCHD.

HDV usually has a M2T extension which is standard MPEG2 transport stream, ie. missing the extra bytes in each packet, and implies MPEG2 video. MTS and m2ts imply MPEG4.

PeterDuke wrote on 11/5/2017, 3:43 AM

The odd thing is that I have 2 other friends who use the same make and model camera as the one I am having trouble with and there is no problem incorporating the output of these 2 friends into my projects.

Post Mediainfo and other data as requested by Nick.

Musicvid wrote on 11/5/2017, 12:21 PM

My DVR outputs mpeg-2 Codec to a bdav stream. Extension is .MTS

JohnJ wrote on 11/7/2017, 5:24 AM

Thanks again everyone. I am non technical and this is my retirement hobby but I seem to have solved the problem by borrowing the card from my friend's camera and loading that directly into Vegas. JohnJ