Comments

Former user wrote on 8/21/2018, 1:13 PM

Disable the resample mode and use the plugin Twixtor. The native slow motion of Vegas no is good.

karma17 wrote on 8/21/2018, 2:01 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have Twixtor and don't shoot enough slow motion to justify a plug-in that costs almost as much as Vegas Pro itself. My understanding is that if you are going from 24fps to broadcast at 29.97 NTSC you would actually want to leave Resample on because resampling is supposed to make up the difference in frames between the two. However, going any other direction or using 60 fps, you would want to disable it. It seems a lot of people disable resample as a matter of course, but it does exist for a reason.

My general understanding of slow motion is that you want to shoot in a higher frame rate from the beginning and not expect the software to slow the footage down and look great. It is for these very reasons that many cameras let you shoot at 60-180 fps. Even in a 24 frame project, I would think you would want to shoot at a higher frame for any scene you were planning to slow down.

My best advice would be to shoot slow mo scenes at higher frames rates, and then set Vegas Pro to the best possible render settings. I wouldn't disable Resample if you are going from 24 to 30 fps unless you see some kind of ghosting. But I wouldn't expect that going from 24-30.

All that said, I suppose you could spend the $330 and try the plug in. Like I said, Vegas works fine for the little slow mo I do, but then again I'm shooting 60 fps and dropping on a 30 fps timeline and only slowing down by half. And sometimes 180 fps at 720 p.

Here's an article worth reading : http://www.hispeedcams.com/fake-slow-motion-worth/

Aiki wrote on 8/21/2018, 2:48 PM

Thanks for the advice, I'll do a test.

Merci du conseil, je vais faire un test.

Musicvid wrote on 8/21/2018, 2:53 PM

24p doesn't leave you anything to work with -- I mean 12fps slomo?

Twixtor "might" make it tolerable, might not.

Kinvermark wrote on 8/21/2018, 3:35 PM

Twixtor uses optical flow to create "fake" interpolated frames. But, it is too expensive for the OP (and me).

Budget optical flow alternatives: Gopro studio (you need to find an old install) has "Flux." Davinci resolve (I think the free version can do this) retiming with op. flow. setting.

fifonik wrote on 8/21/2018, 4:07 PM

> Unfortunately, I don't have Twixtor and don't shoot enough slow motion to justify a plug-in that costs almost as much as Vegas Pro itself.

+1

So when I really need a bit of slo-mo I'm using avisynth + MVTools. Workflow is much more complicated than with VP but quality is much better (I have not compared it with Twixtor).

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

Rainer wrote on 8/21/2018, 5:49 PM

Obviously the best way to produce slow motion is to shoot at a high frame rate, but sometimes you have to do it in post; how well that works depends on your footage, great for smooth surfing footage, pretty terrible for horse galloping where the feet get mixed up. Twixtor seems way overpriced but using free AviSynth, VirtualDub and MVtools2 which I think works at least as well as Twixtor is a bit fiddly. Fortunately genius Petr Schreiber has created a GUI which simplifies the whole process: http://www.thinbasic.com/community/showthread.php?t=12274&highlight=petr.

Kinvermark wrote on 8/21/2018, 6:21 PM

Re: MVtools2: can it "speed ramp" or just one slowdown factor?

Also, Twixtor can be used as Vegas plug-in so don't have render-replace intermediate file.

Musicvid wrote on 8/22/2018, 9:22 AM

If the frame rate is fast enough and the slowdown is geometric, one doesn't need Twixtor.

Aiki wrote on 8/22/2018, 12:56 PM

The director did not know she was using slow motion for editing. As a trainer told me, the editors are not consulted before the shoot. We ended up with pretty problems to solve.

La réalisatrice ne savait pas qu'elle utilisarait des ralentie pour le montage. Comme me disait un formateur, les monteurs ne sont pas consulté avant le tournage. On se retrouvé avec des tits problèmes à réglé.

Former user wrote on 8/22/2018, 2:28 PM

The director did not know she was using slow motion for editing. As a trainer told me, the editors are not consulted before the shoot. We ended up with pretty problems to solve.

If a fast shutter was used (no motion blur) you will have better chance of success, but as has been said for free try the gopro studio software with flux. You may need to convert your footage into a media format that is the same as output from gopro camera for software to see your files. That is a restriction by gopro.

Musicvid wrote on 8/22/2018, 4:40 PM

That is patently ridiculous and why are you accepting outrageous expectations?

They are able to:

--Buy you a personal copy of Twixtor

-- Reshoot at 48-60 fps

-- Find somebody else to bury their sh*t.

They have no business asking you to unbake a fallen cake and you could be setting yourself up for disaster by agreeing.