Rendering transparent text background with Alpha for DVD A

NCARalph wrote on 10/27/2018, 11:50 PM

I'm trying to make a scrolling credit box in Vegas Pro 16 for use in DVD A, but I want to have the DVD A background show through the Graphics box. That is, I want the rendered video to keep the Alpha channel transparency information.

I'm using the text credit scroll with transparent background in Vegas which works fine, it's transparent on the timeline. However, when I render it using uncompressed AVI with Alpha channel, it creates a scrolling text box with black instead of transparent for the background.

Any thoughts on how to do this?

Comments

harry-worth wrote on 10/28/2018, 3:32 AM

I used this a while ago that I found on YouTube and it does work.

The video is not the best to follow but give it a try

harry-worth wrote on 10/28/2018, 3:47 AM

This is another one I followed a while ago as it is a lot better and does show the last important settings..

NCARalph wrote on 10/28/2018, 12:28 PM

Thanks, that video got me to the solution.

I rendered my scrolling text clip using the AVI Windows video codec, uncompressed, and with alpha channel. As the video shows, if you bring the rendered video into the timeline, to see the alpha transparency, you have to right click on it, select properties, and media and set the alpha handling to something other than none or undefined. Premultiplied seems to be the normal setting. That will show the transparency of the rendered video in the Vegas timeline.

In DVD A, it's the same thing, but a bit more obscure. Insert a graphics object into the menu and select the rendered video, AVI in my case. Since my text is scrolling, I selected animated for the media, the default is still. Now to get the alpha transparency to show, right click to get to the settings for the graphics object, and click on the down arrow in the media tab. Select properties and you'll see the same options for alpha. Select Premultiplied and you should get the alpha transparency.

Last changed by NCARalph on 10/28/2018, 12:40 PM, changed a total of 2 times.

Windows 10 Pro 64, i7 6700K @4GHz (with Intel Graphics 530) , 32 GB, AMD Radeon VII, Samsung 1TB NVME, 9TB storage spaces RAID, 3 monitors running off the Radeon

Musicvid wrote on 10/28/2018, 3:20 PM

Did all my layers in Photoshop. Very nice result.

harry-worth wrote on 10/29/2018, 3:36 AM

Nice one.   Glad you got it sorted.   That selection from the media tab is the one that can easily be missed...