Small sections of audio appear later and repeat later in timeline,

stephan-wiechmann wrote on 5/16/2022, 9:56 PM

Version pro18. When editing MP4 files captured from analog sources, the audio travels on the time line. There is no visual representation but the audio will repeat a section of audio on various places on the timeline. If rendered it will appear in the render. A simpler way of describing it is pieces of the audio that is earlier on the timeline will randomly show up later in the timeline and replace the audio that is there. Approx 2 seconds in length. There might not even be any edits and this happens. I transfer video tapes and just cut the ends off the videos. Virtually no editing. I can move around the time line and audio from much earlier on repeats itself. Very odd.

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 5/16/2022, 10:15 PM

This usually occurs when grouped events are separated by non-quantized intervals on the timeline. You cannot salvage a project saved this way; you must start in a fresh project with both Quantize to Frames and Snapping turned ON. Post back if you have more issues.

stephan-wiechmann wrote on 5/17/2022, 8:33 AM

I checked my settings and they are set as you had mentioned (Quantize to Frames and Snapping turned ON) I can provide more info. I am converting composite vhs based video into mp4 using a TBC and the audio is in sync.

When placed on the VP Timeline and played it is all good. Even with no cutting or actual editing, I move to another section of the time line and during playback ,I get short pieces of audio from much earlier on over lapping the audio later on. so for example : I preview a segment at 3:00 (mins) on the timeline. I move to say 10:00 minutes (on timeline) and I will hear a that part at 3:00 over lap at the 10 minute part. It is only for 2 seconds or so but it does overlap and removes the orginal audio and pushes a section on the timeline to go out of sync. I am not cutting or slicing anything. Its like the audio caches some how and it moves on the time line. It is most annoying. The only way around it was to throw the mp4 into handbrake first and process the file. Not , a great thing to do in my work flow. I transfer video tapes to digital. These files look and sound great in VLC or other media players. Something about Vegas does not handle the audio very well in my case..

Musicvid wrote on 5/17/2022, 11:22 AM

That is truly weird. Are they recorded from a broadcast? Can you post MediaInfo?

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-post-mediainfo-and-vegas-pro-file-properties--104561/

stephan-wiechmann wrote on 5/17/2022, 12:18 PM

They are various home movies and stuff on VHS, Mini -dv & hi8,8mm. I have tried different capture cards and the videos are generally ok until they get into Vegas. Strange stuff.

Musicvid wrote on 5/17/2022, 12:21 PM

Yes it is. Go ahead and post those properties, maybe upload one that is misbehaving to Drive or Dropbox so we can repro your issue.