Smart Adaptive Deinterlacing example

gary-rebholz wrote on 10/3/2016, 4:45 PM

Several people are wondering why they don't easily see the results of the new Smart Adaptive Deinterlacing feature. This can be difficult to see, but it is real. It may not always make a noticeable difference on all footage, or even on each frame of one clip. The difference is most notable with deinterlaced footage of fast-moving subjects. Set your Preview quality to Best Full and your project properties to a progressive setting, then set the deinterlace method to None. Step through your video until you come to a frame that shows clear tearing. Here's my example:

Then change to each of the other deinterlaced settings and check the same frame. If you don't see a difference between one setting and another, try the next frame of video, or a different video. In my examples, I notice it mostly along the edges of his glasses frames. Here are my results:

Blend:

Interpolate fields:

Smart Adaptive:

It's a little difficult to see it in these screen shots (click them for a larger version), but hopefully you'll find a frame of your own video where you can clearly see the difference.

Comments

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2016, 12:50 AM

How about a new "challenge" where we compare:

• Vegas interpolate
  • Vegas smart adaptive
  • Handbrake decomb
  • QTGMC
  • Vegas Yadif plugin
  • Anything else

I've re-uploaded 10 seconds of Stringer's classic "Driving Along.MTS" clip at https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21489814/Driving%20Along%2010secs.MTS

GJeffrey wrote on 10/4/2016, 2:17 AM

Here is the test (VP14 project file) made with (file names are self explanatory) blend, Interpolate, Smart, QTGMC (preset slow) & QTGMC with shutter blur on.

Encoding using SonyAVC 1080-30p template for blend, interpolate and smart, using frameserver and Megui x264 crf 18, slow preset for QTGMC.

I also include the original file trimmed between 40 & 50s as Nick's request (ffmpeg)

The best result is still QTGMC. I can't see obvious visual difference between interpolate and smart deinterlace (except by using the video scope).

QTGMC with shutter blur gives a smoother preview.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxCiRrCk7T_EMDBMN1o1S2tDdW8/view?usp=sharing

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2016, 3:16 AM

Good work!

Hey, this Smart Deinterlace is actually pretty good! Not quite as sharp and preserving of detail as QTGMC (which is very resource-intensive and complex to set up), but it does a great job of removing the jaggies on those white road markings. It's definitely nicer than this render I tried with the Yadif Vegas plugin in VP13.

It's a shame this has only been launched just as interlaced footage is dying out.

PeterDuke wrote on 10/4/2016, 3:43 AM

"(p.s. I wish Vegas would smart render AVCHD so I could post just those 10 secs)."

Try Vegas 9c. If it is in a good mood it will smart render interlaced AVCHD. Then there is VideoReDo, TMPEGEnc Smart Render, etc.

NickHope wrote on 10/4/2016, 3:48 AM
Try Vegas 9c. If it is in a good mood it will smart render interlaced AVCHD. Then there is VideoReDo, TMPEGEnc Smart Render, etc.

Thanks Peter. I never bought 9. Anyway GJeffrey's managed it with ffmpeg and I've replaced my link above with a link to the 10-second version.

Tech Diver wrote on 10/4/2016, 7:39 PM

Speaking of past Vegas abilities, will the smart rendering of XDCAM-EX footage ever be put back into Vegas? It always worked great for me, but apparently the Sony engineers said it had some problem and was thus yanked in one of the point releases.

Peter

ushere wrote on 10/4/2016, 10:32 PM

+1 techdiver - a great loss to many ex camera owners....

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/5/2016, 2:59 AM

Speaking of past Vegas abilities, will the smart rendering of XDCAM-EX footage ever be put back into Vegas?

This discussion is about smart adaptive deinterlacing, but NOT about smart rendering.

@ Tech Driver, please do not hijack a thread with another topic. If you wish to discuss smart rendering, then open another thread for that.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

NickHope wrote on 10/5/2016, 3:45 AM

This discussion is about smart adaptive deinterlacing, but NOT about smart rendering.

@ Tech Driver, please do not hijack a thread with another topic.

He didn't. I mentioned smart rendering as an aside in my comment but deleted it after GJeffrey trimmed the file in ffmpeg. You can see what I wrote in the quote in Peter's comment. Those guys were just picking up on what I started. You're right that further discussion would be better in a separate thread.

jason-duncan wrote on 9/27/2018, 8:58 PM

Smart Adaptive Deinterlacing is available for Pro 14 & newer. I'm a little green to the GPU acceleration option but are you saying you need a strong graphics card in order for this deinterlace method to work? I currently have a GTX560 Ti but I'm building a new PC and just ordered a GTX 1080Ti 11Gb. Most of the time I have to preview my videos in "Good" mode, and I can't view with my dual monitor set-up with my current card due to lag time and even Vegas locking up, depending on how many effects I've added. I'm sure QTGMC is a better deinterlacer but as Nick Hope mentioned it's resource-heavy and has a learning curve. I have the Yadif plug-in, and I think it's better than the built-in deinterlacing options but I'm still not happy with the quality.

Musicvid wrote on 9/28/2018, 8:04 PM

I have Stringer's source too. Where has he been? What frame did you use for your earliest test, you know, the headlights?

I can test Handbrake decomb a couple of different ways.