Some rendering advice please

Jack S wrote on 9/17/2018, 11:35 AM

I usually render my projects at 16Mb/s to fit a standard Blu-Ray disc. The projects mostly consist of visits to various places in England during one year. However, my latest project (which consists of many small projects, one for each visit) after rendering is quite large, coming in at about 29Gb. I have calculated that I need to render my projects at 13Mb/s in order to reduce the size enough to enable it, and all the ancillaries that go into making a Blu-Ray (menus, etc.), to fit onto a Blu-Ray. I am now in the process of rendering the individual projects again, this time at 13Mb/s. My question is this. Is this the most efficient way to do this or is there a third party application that would automate the task? I have Handbrake but can't figure out how to get it to output AVC. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

j-v wrote on 9/17/2018, 12:30 PM

I don't know what exactly the standaards are for BD, but the renderoption in Movie Studio offer different bitrates for Bluray templates with 16,10 and 8 MB/s.

My choise would be in VMS when you want to render your total project in VMS to choose for 10 MB/s or split the project in two discs. First you can render a part with a lot of movement and colors in 16 and 10 MB/s and compare . Than take your decision.

You did not say you 'll use DVD Architect for making the BD with menus, if you did, are there other options.

Last changed by j-v on 9/17/2018, 1:00 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

met vriendelijke groet
Jan

Camera : Pan X900, GoPro Hero7 Hero Black, Samsung Galaxy A8
Desktop :MB Gigabyte Z390M, W10, i7 9700 4.7Ghz,16 DDR4 GB RAM, Gef. GTX 1660 Ti.
Laptop  :Asus ROG GL753VD, W10 home, version 1903 build 18.362,295 CPU i7 7700HQ, 8 GB RAM, GeF. GTX 1050 (2 GB) + Int. HD Graphics 630(2GB).VP 16,17 and VMS PL 16 are installed, all latest builds
Both Nvidia GPU's have driver version 441.66 Studio Driver, desktop the Studio DHC driver
TV      :LG 4K 55EG960V

Dutch video tutorials for beginners

My slogan is: BE OR BECOME A STEMCELL DONOR !!!

EricLNZ wrote on 9/17/2018, 6:00 PM

Handbrake won't help you as it doesn't do Blu-ray compatible output.

What audio are you using? That can make a difference. LPCM takes up more space than AC3.

Musicvid wrote on 9/17/2018, 7:35 PM

The Videohelp bitrate calculator will get you there the first time.it's a free download.

Jack S wrote on 9/18/2018, 8:45 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses. When my projects were DVDs I always used a bit rate calculator to determine the bit rates for my projects. Since switching to Blu-Rays I haven't needed to do this (23GB is a lot to fill) but I now realise my mistake in not using this for my latest project. Lesson learned. Thanks everyone and thanks Musicvid for jogging my memory.