Maybe some people here have tried uploading Full HD to Facebook too and already found explanation...
I used to upload to FB in the past, but since 2016 I'm only uploading on YouTube.
I'm trying to upload a Full HD (1080p) video to Facebook (and later I would also have 4K videos to upload), but it always plays as 720p.
The best I go it that when I'm editing the video meta-stuff, its player get a blue "HD" logo, but choice is still limited to 720p.
I asked someone who published on FB, but he's not really sure about precise reasons. Here are some hints I gathered so far, but they may be wrong:
- I tried uploading H264 and H265. Facebook upload UI apparently doesn't recognize H265 as Full HD.
- Tried reducing my bitrate (no noticeable impact (on FB's behaviour, I didn't actually check)
- I though maybe it's taking time to process Full HD ... bit I think waited long enough (like 30 minutes)
- I was told that Facebook doesn't allow all page to upload Full HD. I was indeed uploading to a test page which as 2 likes. So I tried uploading to my main page (which has ~1950 likes) and in both cases I get the same result (720p playable, but blue "HD" logo in edit part. (And test page 1440p video tests and main has 1080p videos from years ago)
- I was told that maybe Facebook still limits bandwidth in the context of Covid-19 measures. OK, but on the guy's page, I can watch videos in 1080p. So ... not sure about this.