Using Vegas Blu-ray burning

Philip wrote on 3/18/2023, 11:04 AM

I am starting a new thread here on my need to burn a Blu-ray disc from my rendered video files. I am using Vegas Pro 18 in Windows 10, on a Dell XPS 8920 desktop.

The files were recorded in HD on a Canon Vixia HS200, and I rendered these files as MP4s. I just added titles at the front; they are interviews. Someone with expertise can someday edit, grade, and improve audio, etc., What I need to ask is what settings I should use for the output to disc. If I want someone to be able to take the files from the disc and improve the video or audio, what would be best? Would it be better to keep the video and audio separate? If so, how should I render them?

If I am providing insufficient info, please let me know. Thank you.

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 3/18/2023, 12:43 PM

Vegas will burn a BluRay without menus, chapters, or separate titles from the timeline.

To do more than that, you need a "BluRay Authoring Program," like DVD Architect or TMPGENC.

For extraction and editing after the fact of the BluRay creation, burn using MPEG-2/PCM rather than AVC/AC3.

Philip wrote on 3/19/2023, 1:25 PM

Thank you. I have a problem remaining that perhaps you can help with.

I did successfully burn one very short interview to a Blu-ray disc, using Burn Disc from the Tools menu and selecting MPEG2 and PCM. I rendered and then burned. However, the disc now indicates that, with only 4+ GB used, it is full. I have three interviews that will easily fit on a 25GB, which was my intention to begin with. Surely there is a way to select a number of files and burn them to the disc. I have done it in previous years but using Movie Studio Plus before I migrated to Pro18. Is there, perhaps, a way to render them first to MPEG2/PCM and then burn them to the disc without some other program? I ask this because I tried 3 other programs in the past two weeks and gave up. (One was incompatible and I got a refund; one was trial that didn't work, despite it's Tech assistance; and the third, IMGBurn, was so confusing for me, with terms I have never even heard of, that I gave up on it -- I don't have the time to invest in a long learning curve for this.)

Thank you for you help.

Musicvid wrote on 3/19/2023, 4:13 PM

That's because a DVD/BD-ROM burn closes the disc. One write, one disc, no exceptions.

Make one project with all of your MP4 assets on the timeline, and make one burn. Since timeline burn bitrate is fixed, you are limited to the amount of video you can fit on a disc.

Multiple burns at different times are possible only with special DVD-R/W discs. You're probably better off not going there.

Is there, perhaps, a way to render them first to MPEG2/PCM and then burn them to the disc without some other program?

If you are going to do a lossy intermediate render, it won't hurt to have them in the right format, but I really don't think Vegas will smart render in timeline burn mode.

For further questions about DVD basics and technology, Wikipedia is a GREAT place to start; best of luck.🙂

Philip wrote on 3/21/2023, 11:19 AM

Thanks. I used your compilation suggestion and it worked just fine. i'm not sure if I should go back to making data discs with separate video and audio renders. I'll have to figure it out. Thanks again.