video crop file size and mkv support

DCA wrote on 10/19/2020, 11:36 AM

I got Vegas Movie Studio to be able to do editing work with large video file, specifically cropping beginning and end of video. I have .mkv files, but I am able to convert them to mpeg/mp4 if needed.

The main issue I am seeing is that instead of just 'cutting' the original file, Vegas MS re-renders the entire video and it ends up being much larger than the original.

I have turned on experimental support for .mkv, but it still does not seem to recognize .mkv.

Even working in .mp4, is there a more timely, and more efficient way of cropping existing video files?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 10/19/2020, 12:25 PM

1. Vegas is an Encoder, not a Muxer! Several existing utilities will cut and join, this one muxes, corrects stream errors, and closes GOPs correctly.

https://www.videoredo.com/en/

2. MKV is a wrapper that can support hundreds of possible codec combinations. The new feature supports a few of them, and in the future will support a few more!

DCA wrote on 10/19/2020, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the response. IllI try that too, but I went through a dozen free tools prior, and none would support larger video files.

I used to do this when it was Sony (not Magix) Vegas 6.0 from DV tapes I captured to PC about 20 years ago. I still think it's a good tool, but am surprised it doesn't handle video editing more efficiently.

Musicvid wrote on 10/19/2020, 10:29 PM

Vegas does, and always has, smart rendered AVI and MPEG-2. It will not smart render Long GOP.

For that you need a muxer. VideoRedo handles any size you could wish. There is a free trial; best of luck!