XAVC-S format - Device Explorer

FoskeyMedia schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 08:23 Uhr

I just got a new Sony HXR NX 100 camera. When I recorded in XAVC-S mode device explorer can't find the files (or more acurately, wont open the "PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP" folder on the SD card). How can I properly import them? Yes I know I could just copy and paste from the SD card, but then long clips will be missing a frame (or at least they did in AVCHD mode).

Kommentare

Musicvid schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 12:42 Uhr

I don't know why it doesn't see them, but the software that came with your camera should work without frame glitches.

What version and build of Vegas?

Marco. schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 13:23 Uhr

If the media is still on the SD card, don't navigate to a subfolder to feed the Vegas Device Explorer but to the SD card itself as root folder.

FoskeyMedia schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 20:11 Uhr

I'll have to find the software and load it up. I didn't install it when I got it because I didn't think it was necessary. It's sony to sony. I also tried it using Sony's "Content Management Utility". It also cannot locate or recognize the files, which are stored in "E:\PRIVATE\M4ROOT\CLIP" as .mp4 files. I'm using Vegas 13.

I didn't initially navigate to the folder. I let Device Explorer do its thing. When it didn't load them I tried to point it and it still would not recognize the files. The only way to see them right now is in Window file manager or explorer.

Marco. schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 20:15 Uhr

If you copied it from the SD card it seems you didn't preserve the complete original folder structure which is essential for using the Device Explorer.

FoskeyMedia schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 20:20 Uhr

The SD card is actually still in the reader. That's where Vegas is directed. I just copied it manually when Device Explorer failed.

OldSmoke schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 21:25 Uhr

The Vegas Device Explorer only works for AVCHD, it never worked for anything else including XAVC-S.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

Marco. schrieb am 15.04.2018 um 21:27 Uhr

It works fine here for X-AVC (recorded by the Z100, F55 or other cameras).

FoskeyMedia schrieb am 16.04.2018 um 08:28 Uhr

I'll try and load the camera software and see if that works. It's actually not a BIG deal because I can always just copy and paste where I want just like any other file. So far for this shoot, the files haven't been more than 5 minutes long. It may become a situation when I have longer files that the camera breaks up into multiple files and I have to concatenate, I may drop a frame or 2.

Peter_P schrieb am 16.04.2018 um 09:27 Uhr

It may become a situation when I have longer files that the camera breaks up into multiple files and I have to concatenate, I may drop a frame or 2.

This should not happen with XAVC-S (MP4) files if your SD-card is formatted to exFAT, whitch is the default for cards with a size above 32GB.

FoskeyMedia schrieb am 16.04.2018 um 22:30 Uhr

Peter,
Are you saying that the XAVC-S format doesn't break apart large files? That's great if so. How about DV files? Are AVCHD files the only ones that break up? If that's the case...then it's really just a matter of "copying" all other files (besides AVCHD) instead of actually "Importing" them?

Peter_P schrieb am 17.04.2018 um 07:57 Uhr

Are you saying that the XAVC-S format doesn't break apart large files?

Yes if you are recording on exFAT formatted SD-cards, that allow for file sized above 2GB. I think there is no change for DV and AVCHD files. I did not use them for a long time. When I last used these, I had not jet exFAT formatted cards.

Marco. schrieb am 17.04.2018 um 10:18 Uhr

FoskeyMedia, it's not the video format which splits (or doesn't) the video files. It's the file system of the SD cards.