GPU RENDER COMPARISON - RX570 DESKTOP v RX6800M LAPTOP

bev-sBev wrote on 10/22/2021, 9:52 AM

I got a very surprising result.

I use Vegas 18 Build 527. I appreciate it is way more stable now. I have far fewer problems.

I have a desktop AMD 3950X 16 core CPU with 64GB ram and an RX 570 GPU. ASUS B570 MB. I began the build in January 2021 and never thought the GPU shortage would get this bad. I have refused to buy a 3080 for $2000USD + more in taxes outside the US (add $400USD). In the end, I could buy a AMD 5900HX with 6800M GPU for $1600USD and I chose that instead, but imagine my surprise...

Rendering a 20 minute video. Downloaded YT footage in 1080p. Images. A few transitions. I used the 1080p render, VCE gpu assist. 14-28mb/s. I did a two pass render. Thinking the mobile 6800M would smoke the desktop RX570 I was dead wrong and I would appreciate any input on why this is.

The desktop 570 beat the 6800M laptop (ROG Strix G15) by approximately %20. I am unsure of how much difference the 3950X is making in the equation.

The RX 570 was being utilized between %90 and %100 I noticed but I do not trust the Windows Task manager readout.

The 6800M was being utilized only at %10 to %20 - again, according to the Windows task manager.

I do note however that the 6800M is wayyyyy more powerful in the time line. Limited stuttering and crashing unlike the 570 desktop. I presume 12GB of ram compared to 5GB is helping.

I was surprised by this render direct comparison.

Does anyone have any input for why this might be and why the 6800M (allegedly) is only being utilized at 10-20% compared to the RX 570 desktop 90-100%?

Comments

Former user wrote on 10/22/2021, 8:34 PM

The desktop 570 beat the 6800M laptop (ROG Strix G15) by approximately %20. I am unsure of how much difference the 3950X is making in the equation.

Does anyone have any input for why this might be and why the 6800M (allegedly) is only being utilized at 10-20% compared to the RX 570 desktop 90-100%?

What you could do is screen shot task manager while rendering BOTH showing cpu and gpu engines. That could help explain the problem. The screen shots you want would typical use.

RogerS wrote on 10/22/2021, 9:30 PM

If you want to see how your computers compare against similar systems try this standardized benchmark: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/benchmarking-results-continued--118503/

If you get results that are way different than expected for your CPU/GPU combo, something is wrong with settings or drivers.

Just download and try a render with MagixAVC at 4K and or 1080p with VCE and Mainconcept on both machines and make note of your render times.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 12:33 PM

Many thanks for getting back to me. I have been busy and put up with it until now.

The problem is the ROG STRIX G15 is not utilizing the 6800M gpu and sticking with the IGPU. I have an external monitor and the laptop monitor switched off.

I don't play games so cant test it with games.

I am in touch with ASUS and they say I have to do a full re-install of the OS, bare bones, just the OS and drivers and software (Vegas). All to identify the problem which will undoubtedly be a faulty ASUS laptop. This will be fun as I am in Mexico and the laptop was brought in Santa Barbara.

Its also possible it is a problem with Vegas optimization with AMD GPU's, but I'll bet it is a faulty laptop as it clearly will not switch off the IGPU.

I cannot find a single mention of this problem anywhere with this laptop. I am utterly CURSED. I have constant problems. Never ending problems with Vegas and 3 laptops (AMD and Nvidia) and the ONLY system that works perfectly is the 3950X desktop with a 5 year old RX 570...I am so f'ing sick of this.

What is the normal gpu usage in rendering? RX 570 gives me %90-%100 always. Eluktronics 4800H with RTX 2060 is %20 tops as is the current AMD 6800M.

An older I7 7700 with 1060 was the same. Every single one struggled above %20. Can I beleive anything the task manager is saying?

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 12:39 PM

What you could do is screen shot task manager while rendering BOTH showing cpu and gpu engines. That could help explain the problem. The screen shots you want would typical use.

Here is the IGPU rendering as expected.

Below is the 6800M switched on in Vegas.

Here is Vegas settings.

The fact I have NEVER, EVER, EVER seen full utilization of the GPU in my life above %20, says something, though I'm not sure what. I thought it was normal.

Only the desktop works perfectly. Shame the GPU is 5 years old.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 12:40 PM

If you want to see how your computers compare against similar systems try this standardized benchmark: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/benchmarking-results-continued--118503/

If you get results that are way different than expected for your CPU/GPU combo, something is wrong with settings or drivers.

Just download and try a render with MagixAVC at 4K and or 1080p with VCE and Mainconcept on both machines and make note of your render times.

I'm doing this now.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 12:43 PM

I'm not going to bother as there is an obvious hardware issue going on. I'll let you know what happens with ASUS and a bare bones install with drivers and Vegas only. I am positive I have a dud ASUS with an IGPU that will not switch off.

Musicvid wrote on 11/9/2021, 2:44 PM

I'm not going to bother as there is an obvious hardware issue going on.

You need to make absolutely sure there are no untrapped variables between your test protocols before making such a sweeping statement. So far we have seen anecdotes and a couple of output graphs.

Start here, providing the full report for each machine's properties and renders.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

Thanks for honoring the quantitative process.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 3:01 PM

I'm not going to bother as there is an obvious hardware issue going on.

You need to make absolutely sure there are no untrapped variables between your test protocols before making such a sweeping statement. So far we have seen anecdotes and a couple of output graphs.

Start here, providing the full report for each machine's properties and renders.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/important-information-required-to-help-you--110457/

Thanks for honoring the quantitative process.

I can put up all the screenshots if you like? It's the same, the 6800M is "off". It's baseline activity is a "copy" process from its memory to the codec rendering in the IGPU. It literally doing nothing. Nada. Handing off data to the IGPU.

I even get messages warning me the IGPU is being sucked dry by Vegas, ruining battery life...when I'm on full power on an external monitor. So it's beyond Vegas. The IGPU should be off, completely. It's not. The 6800M is just sitting there sleeping. Three laptops have given me ENDLESS problems. Variable? IGPU. Desktop...no IGPU, works perfectly...excepting the RX 570 I made myself stuck with.

Of course, this could be a Vegas issue as well. Because the 4800H 2060 works fine with games, but has the EXACT same problem as the ASUS 6800M - I just tried it now. Maybe its Vegas and an IGPU issue in rendering?

Same deal, 2060 is sleeping, copying data over to the IGPU that is rendering with codec.

Now I've seen the 2060 do the same (as I was typing this reply) I'll do the test as it might be Vegas after all. Some glitch with IGPU's?

Musicvid wrote on 11/9/2021, 3:11 PM

Thank you so much for your anecdotes.

Troubleshooting begins with comparative data.

Experience has shown us that most people who say everything is the same either don't know, don't care, or are concealing something, whether deliberately or inadvertently.

Welcome to the peer technical forum for Vegas Pro.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 3:39 PM

Will do. Its an interesting one. I can only imagine a 6800M at %90-%100. I'll have it by tomorrow. Thanks.

Musicvid wrote on 11/9/2021, 4:11 PM

I can only imagine a 6800M at %90-%100. 

You are imagining (your word) a CPU / GPU performance combination that is well outside my zone of believability or credibility.

I can tell that you don't know that GPU utilization varies indirectly with CPU performance -- drastically. That means, in plain English, that as your CPU goes faster, the GPU utilization goes down, way down. So much for expectations. Given what tiny bit information you have shared, 20% sounds quite a bit more plausible than what you are confabulating. But then, I'm not the one making the claim.

I can also tell that you are more comfortable in social-media types of discussions, and so you might feel more at home posting speculations and musings on the Off-Topic Forum, where they may be better received. Or Reddit.

Also, here are a bunch of Vegas resources I have assembled for those who don't wish to investigate everything from scratch.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/got-questions-consult-the-tutorials-first-please--120282/

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 5:15 PM

I'll post my 3950X with RX570 at %90-%100 tomorrow for you. So you have some comparative data in visual form. I can also make a screen recording for you if you like your comparative data with an audio component. I can make commentary?

I'll pop the AMD software screenshots of the 6800M sleeping as well as I render. I'll post the taskmanager showing %20 codec usage in igpu render and %20 in copy on the 6800M. That way you'll have some more comparative data to work with.

By tomorrow...because I have to finish a project...I'll have your true blue comparative data for you to go over.

It's wonderful to have such friendly people on the Vegas forum willing to help with no smarmy undertones!

In fact, because your friendly tone is so valued, I'm going to get that screenshot off my desktop right now to show a 16 core 3950X with an RX 570 at %90 just for you as I know a screenshot must be at least partly comparative data?

Again, thank you so much for your time on this. A friendly tone really makes one want to recommend Vegas to people.

Former user wrote on 11/9/2021, 6:09 PM

If you want the best GPU performance on a Laptop, you have to go to 3600MHz RAM because the machine has to Copy everything you do from RAM to VRAM on that card. Actually, kind of applies to desktops, as well... RAM Speeds are a measurable upgrade to that. It will also bring the Vega iGPU closer to the 570 in performance, as the iGPU naturally shares CPU RAM, and is very responsive to the performance of that RAM.

In addition ot that, the Infinity Fabric Architecture of Ryzen makes it sensitive to RAM Speeds and Latency. 3600MHz is Meta for Ryzen. You will get a CPU performance uplift going from 3200MHz (common in gaming laptops, these days) to 3600MHz. It's also sensitive to memory latency, but even "common latencies" yield uplift given memory clock increases.

This applies to both Desktop and Laptop Ryzen CPUs/APUs.

In the desktop, that CPU and GPU are not balanced. I wouldn't run anything worse than a RX 5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super with that CPU. The RX 570 is going to be a bottleneck in any GPU bound application workload, which will result in slow performance because your CPU will be forced to spend so much time idle waiting on the GPU to do work.

If you run DaVinci Resolve on that machine you will see this in full effect. The laptop will clobber the desktop in performance there, based solely on the GPU disparity.

If an Application isn't GPU bound, then the 6800M is overkill. I doubt I would even invest in a laptop with such a GPU if my main use of it is editing in VEGAS Pro. I'd probably get something with a 1660 Ti and call it a day. Some can get by with an iGPU, even.

I run Overwatch on my desktop 5700 XT - 1080p, 240Hz, Med Settings... and my GPU doesn't even go above ~65% usage over hours of gaming. The only thing that will drive that GPU's usage up, is a game or application that is heavily CPU bound.

If I were editing in Resolve, I would gun for this GPU in a laptop. For editing in VEGAS Pro, I would not waste my money.

Former user wrote on 11/9/2021, 6:15 PM

Here is Vegas settings.

The fact I have NEVER, EVER, EVER seen full utilization of the GPU in my life above %20, says something, though I'm not sure what. I thought it was normal.

What happens if you disable your IGPU by whatever way possible, in bios if that's an option or remove drivers, and therefore only a single gpu and GPU decoder to use. Btw I don't know if that's a bad idea with a laptop, or simply not possible due to both GPU's using same output.

As I just skimmed through this, you may have already said, but are you using a monitor and if not can you hook up a monitor, does that allow 6800 to be used in Vegas?

I am working on the idea that AMD's Smartshift is switching vegas to your IGPU for some reason, but if you hook up a monitor it should bypass IGPU. Just taking a few guesses here, I don't know why your computer won't use your 6800 when you have drivers installed and GPU set to 6800

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 6:33 PM

I can only imagine a 6800M at %90-%100. 

You are imagining (your word) a CPU / GPU performance combination that is well outside my zone of believability or credibility.

I can tell that you don't know that GPU utilization varies indirectly with CPU performance -- drastically. That means, in plain English, that as your CPU goes faster, the GPU utilization goes down, way down. So much for expectations. Given what tiny bit information you have shared, 20% sounds quite a bit more plausible than what you are confabulating. But then, I'm not the one making the claim.

I can also tell that you are more comfortable in social-media types of discussions, and so you might feel more at home posting speculations and musings on the Off-Topic Forum, where they may be better received. Or Reddit.

Also, here are a bunch of Vegas resources I have assembled for those who don't wish to investigate everything from scratch.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/got-questions-consult-the-tutorials-first-please--120282/

Here is a quote from you...

Here is a pic from a video I made of my 3950X and RX 570 running at %90-%100.

I'll post the video later for "comparative anecdotal zone of believablity/credibility" data for you so you can see it all combined with all the other comparative data you requested.

No, thats fine. We should stay here and you can teach me all about interpreting the mountain of comparative data I'm about to provide so I can get to the bottom of why three laptops with IGPU's give me so much grief with Vegas...and not in my desktop GPU. I think it will be a wonderful exercise in polite, non smarmy online help so I can tell others not to use Davinci Resolve or Premiere when there is so much help here on the Vegas forum.

One day I will be able to afford some 3080 like performance. One day.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 6:43 PM

If you want the best GPU performance on a Laptop, you have to go to 3600MHz RAM because the machine has to Copy everything you do from RAM to VRAM on that card. Actually, kind of applies to desktops, as well... RAM Speeds are a measurable upgrade to that. It will also bring the Vega iGPU closer to the 570 in performance, as the iGPU naturally shares CPU RAM, and is very responsive to the performance of that RAM.

In addition ot that, the Infinity Fabric Architecture of Ryzen makes it sensitive to RAM Speeds and Latency. 3600MHz is Meta for Ryzen. You will get a CPU performance uplift going from 3200MHz (common in gaming laptops, these days) to 3600MHz. It's also sensitive to memory latency, but even "common latencies" yield uplift given memory clock increases.

This applies to both Desktop and Laptop Ryzen CPUs/APUs.

In the desktop, that CPU and GPU are not balanced. I wouldn't run anything worse than a RX 5700 XT or RTX 2070 Super with that CPU. The RX 570 is going to be a bottleneck in any GPU bound application workload, which will result in slow performance because your CPU will be forced to spend so much time idle waiting on the GPU to do work.

If you run DaVinci Resolve on that machine you will see this in full effect. The laptop will clobber the desktop in performance there, based solely on the GPU disparity.

If an Application isn't GPU bound, then the 6800M is overkill. I doubt I would even invest in a laptop with such a GPU if my main use of it is editing in VEGAS Pro. I'd probably get something with a 1660 Ti and call it a day. Some can get by with an iGPU, even.

I run Overwatch on my desktop 5700 XT - 1080p, 240Hz, Med Settings... and my GPU doesn't even go above ~65% usage over hours of gaming. The only thing that will drive that GPU's usage up, is a game or application that is heavily CPU bound.

If I were editing in Resolve, I would gun for this GPU in a laptop. For editing in VEGAS Pro, I would not waste my money.

Many thanks. I'm not sure I understand? Are you saying Vegas will not utilize a 3080 etc? In GPU rendering?

I could not get a GPU when I built the system - I'm in Mexico. All I could get was a RX 570 and wait till prices went down. The madness has never stopped. Maybe soon.

People have sent screenshots in the past showing a 3080 utilizing %60+ in Vegas NVENC.

I have 3600 64GB in the desktop. Point is, the 6800M is "idling", passing off data (copy) to the IGPU which is actually doing the rendering at %20 max.

This is AMD VCE GPU rendering. There is something wrong as the IGPU should be off automatically when you plug in an external monitor. I was told not to trust taskmanager for GPU workload so I have put up with this in three laptops - I7 700 with 1060. 4800H with 2060. And now 5900HX and 6800M.

Games worked fine in 1060 and 2060. But they ALL run GPU rendering at an extremely low %20 rate. I just thought it was a dodgy taskmanager. It would seem - anecdotally - that Vegas is using the IGPU by default. But with the 6800M, I can see clearly that the IGPU is not switching off at all and remains the dominant GPU.

bev-sBev wrote on 11/9/2021, 6:49 PM

Here is Vegas settings.

What happens if you disable your IGPU by whatever way possible, in bios if that's an option or remove drivers, and therefore only a single gpu and GPU decoder to use. Btw I don't know if that's a bad idea with a laptop, or simply not possible due to both GPU's using same output.

As I just skimmed through this, you may have already said, but are you using a monitor and if not can you hook up a monitor, does that allow 6800 to be used in Vegas?

I am working on the idea that AMD's Smartshift is switching vegas to your IGPU for some reason, but if you hook up a monitor it should bypass IGPU. Just taking a few guesses here, I don't know why your computer won't use your 6800 when you have drivers installed and GPU set to 6800

Many thanks. I cannot turn it off in BIOS or anywhere else. It is supposed to turn off the moment you plug in an external monitor. It is clearly still in full operation. I have done BIOS update, drivers, everything.

Smart shift? Yeh, there is something wrong. I fear it will have to go back to the shop as I have done all I can. But I will collect all the "comparative data" so my original friend commenting can assist as he appears to be an expert in these matters. After that, I can only conclude a freak of nature, hardware issue, NSA, Unit 8200 side channel GPU attack reserving the main gpu for recording my screen...and I am only half joking.

Maybe God saying to sell off laptops and get 3080 and mortgage the house as well :-)

I hope it is just a simple smart shift issue but I can find nothing online.

Musicvid wrote on 11/9/2021, 7:12 PM

I'll post my 3950X with RX570 at %90-%100 tomorrow for you. So you have some comparative data in visual form. I can also make a screen recording for you if you like your comparative data with an audio component. I can make commentary.

NVM

RogerS wrote on 11/9/2021, 9:58 PM

But with the 6800M, I can see clearly that the IGPU is not switching off at all and remains the dominant GPU.

I've seen other reports of that too, it's very possible Vegas is getting confused between the two AMD GPUs. As it's a laptop you can't shut off Radeon Graphics in bios as far as I'm aware.

You can try to go to "Graphics settings" in Windows and set Vegas Pro to "high performance."

I would update any AMD drivers you can find (chipset and GPU). AMD has a tool to facilitate that. https://www.amd.com/en/support

You can try to go to device manager and disable the Radeon Graphics one but I doubt that will work.

If you do these things and still can't get Vegas to use VCE on the proper GPU, I think it's a Vegas bug and worth filing a support request.

Custom PC (2022) Intel i5-13600K with UHD 770 iGPU with latest driver, MSI z690 Tomahawk motherboard, 64GB Corsair DDR5 5200 ram, NVIDIA 2080 Super (8GB) with latest studio driver, 2TB Hynix P41 SSD, Windows 11 Pro 64 bit

Dell XPS 15 laptop (2017) 32GB ram, NVIDIA 1050 (4GB) with latest studio driver, Intel i7-7700HQ with Intel 630 iGPU (latest available driver), dual internal SSD (1TB; 1TB), Windows 10 64 bit

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the
VEGAS 4K "sample project" benchmark (works with VP 16+): https://forms.gle/ypyrrbUghEiaf2aC7
VEGAS Pro 20 "Ad" benchmark (works with VP 20+): https://forms.gle/eErJTR87K2bbJc4Q7

bev-sBev wrote on 1/23/2022, 5:06 PM

Many thanks to all who responded. Here is the problem with ASUS ROG STRIX 6800M...

You MUST plug in the external monitor via the USB C connection. When I did so there was full utilization of the 6800M gpu. I find that pretty ridiculous, but thats what it was - to bypass the iGPU.

Many thanks.

Former user wrote on 1/23/2022, 7:33 PM

@bev-sBev HI, i can't give you any tech details but you have an AMD 3950X, I have an AMD 3975WX, In my head yours is just the little brother 🤷‍♂️😂 You've mentioned a couple of times about poss getting a 3080, I have a 3090, same again just the bigger brother, I might be talking bollocks but i'm assuming Vegas will utilise them similarly ? 🙃🤷‍♂️

All the media in these pics were rendered orig by Vegas using Magix AVC/AAC 3840X2160, (NVENC)

This first pic is just normal rendering, no effects or crossfades etc, again using Magix AVC/AAC 3840X2160 (NVENC),

the CPU is at 24% & the GPU rarely goes above 50% when rendering, avg 30-70%, (faster ram might help but that's for another day)

How much of the CPU & GPU gets used depends on what fx's are added, in these pics i've added one random fx to each,

This one is an odd one, a cartoon fx that i've opened the CPU box to show, it's high

but if you look at all these other pics, the CPU is no more than 30%-ish, the GPU is normally doing the work

I did this partly for my own curiosity, partly because I'm not 100% happy with my pc + Vegas,

I know this is poss//prob totally useless info but i just thought i'd share before you splashed out on the 3080, also in the Benchmark test, the 3080's don't 'shine', for the price i suspect there might be better GPU's 🤷‍♂️

Former user wrote on 1/23/2022, 7:39 PM

@bev-sBev PS, in the Benchmark test, i get an avg of 14fps (9-19fps) on Region1, the best FHD render was 0.43secs, & UHD render 1.05mins, 😒🤷‍♂️😂

RogerS wrote on 1/23/2022, 9:12 PM

FYI, the updated benchmark results are online, not in that spreadsheet. You can go to data/filter views to sort by just AMD, etc.

VEGAS Pro 19.651
VEGAS Pro 20.411
VEGAS Pro 21.208

Try the

Former user wrote on 1/23/2022, 10:21 PM

@bev-sBev PPS 😂 This is rendering a 10sec clip, a B/W mask top track that alternates black white was it plays, with Mask generator added revealing (turning on/off the fx's on the second track) either the second track with a glow & lens flare, or track 3 with no fx's. creating a strobe light type thing