No audio recorded to file

Riffmaster wrote on 5/16/2020, 5:18 PM

I'm having an issue recording audio in Vegas Pro 14. I can create a new track and arm it to record. I have the input device selected and I can see audio is streaming into the track. I click the record button and everything looks fine. I can see the audio being recorded. My problem is when I stop recording and select "Done" from the Recorded Files pop up, the audio track flat lines and the file is blank.

I've removed Vegas from my PC and re-installed to no avail. I've used Vegas for years with no issues.

System Specs - Win 10 Pro. , Intel i7-7700K 4.2 GHz system, 64 GB ram, 1T SSD. I use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 for my Audio Device.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

rraud wrote on 5/17/2020, 10:54 AM

So you see the waveform being built as it records..correct?
Does the file save, but has no sound?
Is "Audio event waveforms" enabled in the 'View' menu?
Have tried a different 'Recorded files folder" and confirmed the appropriate audio settings for the file in 'File> Properties' menu (Sample rate bit depth, ect, ect.)

Riffmaster wrote on 5/17/2020, 1:43 PM

Thanks rraud for such a quick response.

Yes I see the waveform being built. The file saves in the appropriate folder. I've changed "Recorded files folder" locations with the same result. The file is saved and under "File> Properties" the file seems to have data. It shows 29 MB.

Yes "Audio event waveforms" is enabled in the 'View' menu.

All Audio settings are correct. I've tried using various Sample Rates and Bit depths with the same result.

Riffmaster wrote on 5/19/2020, 7:23 PM

After a couple of days testing Vegas Pro 14 on two other computers running Windows 10 Home 64 bit, I have resolved that Vegas Pro 14 is incompatable with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. Both of the other computers running Windows 10 Home 64 bit handle Vegas Pro 14 flawlessly. I am not sure where to go at this point. To continue my projects on this computer I have switched to Pro Tools since Avid works on my OS.

Musicvid wrote on 5/19/2020, 7:49 PM

That's not the problem. There are thousands of VP14 users on all versions of Windows 10.

Suggest you keep digging.

john_dennis wrote on 5/20/2020, 1:59 AM

I wondered just how hard it could be...

Dot wrote on 5/20/2020, 7:43 AM

I wonder if it has something to do with permissions?

rraud wrote on 5/20/2020, 9:47 AM

Does the audio file playback in other apps?

Riffmaster wrote on 5/20/2020, 10:35 PM

Thanks everyone for contributing, I appreciate it.

Dot - Same results when I "Run as Administrator"

rraud - I cannot play the clips in others apps such as wmp. Just comes up with no length on the time line.

Using Musicvids urging I have found a strange work around. I add two new tracks and assign the input from my audio device to both tracks and record as usual. So now I have duel tracks with the same data. I stop recording and click "Done" the first track flatlines but the second track retains the wave file. I can assign any of the Inputs from my Scarlet 2i4 (Input1/Input2, Input 1, Input 2) to either track and have the same result - track 1 will flatline and track 2 will be fine.

This works the same way using my Line 6 Helix as a Audio Device. As long as I have multiple tracks recording at the same time I can keep all tracks except the first one. With my Helix I can record 8 tracks from 8 independent streams. I get to keep 7 of them with the first track left with no audio.

john_dennis I agree whole heartedly "how hard could this be"!

Riffmaster wrote on 5/22/2020, 4:57 PM

I have a couple of screen shots to help illustrate the issue and work around.

I armed track two and three to record and assigned track two the stereo output from my audio device. I assigned track three the left channel mono output. (Track one is an imported MP3 Bass/Click track.)

This shot shows track two and three after recording at the same time. As soon as I click "Done" -

As you can see track two flat lined (the issue) and track three retains the recording (the work around). I can assign any output from my audio device to either track with the same result. At this point track three can be manipulated however I want. I can add effects, split, fade, automate volume, render track to MP3 etc...

Worst cast I can live with the work around for now and come back to the issue after I have finished some projects.