No pause option for render for safe shut down on power outage

andreas-georgiou wrote on 7/9/2020, 6:50 PM

Vegas pro 17 - windows 10 64bit, CPU I7 quad core 8 threads, (General question unrelated to hardware) When on UPS does Vegas (is there a way to) shut down safely whilst running long rendering process? E.g. pause rendering and safely save part render, shut down safely, next time it is fired up to offer the options "Render did not complete... Resume render?, cancel render?, restart render?"

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 7/9/2020, 7:54 PM

Vegas saves auto backups of your Project every few minutes in your Appdata folder.

It would be impossible to reserve enough buffer space to also back up your renders while in progress. There is no pause feature, unfortunately, but with a recent project backup, it's easy enough to start again when the lights come back on.

EricLNZ wrote on 7/9/2020, 10:08 PM

It would be impossible to reserve enough buffer space to also back up your renders while in progress. There is no pause feature,

Would it need to be buffer space? Your rendered file is presumably being progressively saved to your destination drive. Recently (maybe with Handbrake) I watched my rendered file periodically change in size. The "Pause" button could save at the last point of writing.

Musicvid wrote on 7/10/2020, 1:26 AM

With long GOP output, there is really no such point, only what went before and what goes after. Truncation is the best that could be hoped for in my imagination. With linear-sequential (intraframe) output, it is relatively easy to imagine, like pausing a download.

andreas-georgiou wrote on 7/10/2020, 5:03 AM

The issue is as John says above some renders take hours, there is no option to

1-automatically shut down the PC on completion of these long processes

2-No option to pause, shut down and resume on another day (e.g. may have to go out for a weekend and do not want to leave the system running unattended), Power cut, near the end of a render, loss of hours of rendering.

3-I don't know how it behaves on a UPS signal to shut down without leaving files open and corrupting vital SSD drive data (Anyone knows how it behaves when a UPS requests a shut down during rendering?)

4-there are other processes I found that also take hours, these also could benefit from pause and restart options

Anyone knows of a script that could do that?

Perhaps Magix might decide to implement?

VEGASDerek wrote on 7/10/2020, 6:22 AM

We do have this feature request in our backlog. Pausing renders is not a simple thing to implement. Continuing to improve performance and stability are higher on our priority list right now. Hopefully we can get to this feature at some point in the future.

andreas-georgiou wrote on 7/10/2020, 6:35 AM

Thank you VEGASDerek, gives us confidence that Vegas is listening to users, good news, looking forward to these improvements.