Tips for making an edit less laggy?

tim-neighbors wrote on 4/7/2021, 1:27 PM

When I'm working with a project that involves a lot of footage being on the timeline, the playback starts to get a delay each time I hit play. I'm not talking about dropped frames during playback. I'm talking about hitting play, then waiting 2-3 seconds for it to start playing. This greatly slows down my editing process and makes my job painful. My current project has about 7.5 hours of 3 video layers and it's lagging about 3 seconds even after using vegas's built in proxy method to replace the 4K footage with easier footage.

I suspect it's the hard drive that's lagging. I'm using an internal spinning disk 7200rpm hard drive. My computer is pretty respectably fast (8 core, 16 logical procs, Intel i9-9900K CPU @ 3.6 GHz, 3601 Mhz.)

Comments

walter-i. wrote on 4/7/2021, 1:54 PM

I would divide the project into several parts and work with "nested timelines".

I work with timelines of half an hour at the most - anything else is too confusing and too dangerous for me to delete or unintentionally change something out of carelessness.

Last changed by walter-i. on 4/7/2021, 1:54 PM, changed a total of 1 times.

CPU: Intel i9-9900KS 4GHz, (UHD Graphics 630, driver: 27.20.100.9126)
MB: ASUS TUF Z390-PLUS Gaming,
MEM.: 32 GB Ram, DDR4-3200
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1660 SUPER, (driver 460.89)
Storage: SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2, SSD 860 EVO Series 1TB, Toshiba 3TB SATA,
Monitor: HP243i 1920x1200 / BenQ G2200W 1680x1050
NLE: Vegas Pro11-15+17,18 Heroglyph4, RespeedR
Camcorder: Pana HDC SD909, Sony FDR-AX53

Musicvid wrote on 4/7/2021, 1:58 PM

Your hard disk in itself is almost never a bottleneck in video editing.

You have a tremendous amount of assets, eating up RAM and VM, especially if you are using your original camera footage. You didn't say?

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-post-mediainfo-and-vegas-pro-file-properties--104561/

Your quickest solution is to edit with the smallest files possible, also known as a Proxy. Start there, and post back with additional information regarding the "other" things loading down your timeline performance. Then we'll talk about your Preview.

tim-neighbors wrote on 4/7/2021, 2:55 PM

Your hard disk in itself is almost never a bottleneck in video editing.

You have a tremendous amount of assets, eating up RAM and VM, especially if you are using your original camera footage. You didn't say?

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-to-post-mediainfo-and-vegas-pro-file-properties--104561/

Your quickest solution is to edit with the smallest files possible, also known as a Proxy. Start there, and post back with additional information regarding the "other" things loading down your timeline performance.

I'm using proxies built by vegas. While using the native footage, I monitored my system processes and could see that the hard drive was maxed out just playing the footage off the timeline. The footage is 4K long gop xavc footage from a Sony FS7.

update: I moved the footage to a fast SSD and it's now much more snappy and responsive. ...not even using a proxy.

john_dennis wrote on 4/7/2021, 2:57 PM

“I suspect it's the hard drive that's lagging.”

Buy yourself a good moderately priced NVMe disk or two and stop wondering about it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-wd_black-sn750-nvme-1tb-internal-pci-express-3-0-x4-solid-state-drive-for-laptops-desktops/6338995.p?skuId=6338995

I’m sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife to emerge from the hair stylist. For the amount that she’s spending, I could buy two of those.

tim-neighbors wrote on 4/7/2021, 4:28 PM

“I suspect it's the hard drive that's lagging.”

Buy yourself a good moderately priced NVMe disk or two and stop wondering about it.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/wd-wd_black-sn750-nvme-1tb-internal-pci-express-3-0-x4-solid-state-drive-for-laptops-desktops/6338995.p?skuId=6338995

I’m sitting in a parking lot waiting for my wife to emerge from the hair stylist. For the amount that she’s spending, I could buy two of those.

Hahahaha! thanks for the laugh. yeah, I definitely need a new hard drive solution. In the meantime, I do have some external SSD's that it looks like will get me through this pinch. So I can instead spend that money on a hairstyle like your wife's. haha

Yellandkeil wrote on 4/7/2021, 4:41 PM

@tim-neighbors, is your NVidia Quadro P4000 really strong enough with GPU intensive plugins?

It would be nice to have a chance to compare it vs a gaming card such as the new RTX 3xxx.

tim-neighbors wrote on 4/7/2021, 5:55 PM

@tim-neighbors, is your NVidia Quadro P4000 really strong enough with GPU intensive plugins?

It would be nice to have a chance to compare it vs a gaming card such as the new RTX 3xxx.

My Vegas projects do tend to start becoming more unstable once I start in with color correction ...particularly using the new color correction tool. Perhaps I could use a better video card. However, this initial problem appears to have been resolved by using a faster hard drive.