Comments

pedro75652 wrote on 12/8/2019, 9:04 PM

for that I pay the program so that for you not to accept it is a joke

Musicvid wrote on 12/8/2019, 9:50 PM

No, it's licensure from Dolby.

AC3 support in Vegas come by owning a license for DVD Architect.

john_dennis wrote on 12/8/2019, 9:51 PM

Vegas Pro 17 enables the AC3 decoder the first time you try to open a file containing AC3. I just did it.

john_dennis wrote on 12/8/2019, 9:56 PM

Musicvid’s correct about DVD Architect.

Musicvid wrote on 12/8/2019, 10:57 PM

Yes, that will add encoder support. For Vegas decoding, I believe it still must be multiplexed with a video stream?

Really, the licensing is a holdover from the Sonic Foundry generation, and should be renegotiated.

That said, AAC, when properly implemented, has the quality/compression edge, and our old Mainconcept aac is still one of the best.

Marco. wrote on 12/9/2019, 1:56 AM

"For Vegas decoding, I believe it still must be multiplexed with a video stream?"

Yes.

john_dennis wrote on 12/9/2019, 2:47 AM

"I have many audios ac3 but I can't open them"

Rewrap your AC3 elementary streams into a .ts or .m2ts wrapper with tsMuxer or some other utility and Vegas will open them. Avoid rewrapping to .mp4, .mpg, etc.

Rednroll wrote on 12/9/2019, 10:03 AM

That said, AAC, when properly implemented, has the quality/compression edge, and our old Mainconcept aac is still one of the best.

However, the problem here is that AAC 5.1 has not been widely adopted as DD AC3 has on playback devices. So yeah, convert your project files to AAC and then you're good inside of Vegas but hardly any other playback device will properly decode it during playback which then makes it pretty much pointless.

Rednroll wrote on 12/9/2019, 10:08 AM

No, it's licensure from Dolby.

AC3 support in Vegas come by owning a license for DVD Architect.

So you're saying if you install DVD Architect, then you can decode and encode AC3 in Vegas Pro?

I don't do much surround sound in Vegas any longer but the last time I did, I was looking for a way to render to AC3 5.1 and came up empty. I haven't been installing DVD Architect, since I really don't have a use for it any longer but if installing it means I get AC3 support back in Vegas, then I may do that.

Marco. wrote on 12/9/2019, 10:37 AM

"So you're saying if you install DVD Architect, then you can decode and encode AC3 in Vegas Pro?"

Yes. Though decoding AC3 only works if the audio is muxed with video, an elementary .ac3 file would not work.

Musicvid wrote on 12/9/2019, 12:09 PM

AAC is widely supported for playback only if wrapped as M4A, as all iTunes are.

rraud wrote on 12/9/2019, 12:57 PM

The later versions of DVD Arc only have the AC-3 'Studio' encoder. Earlier SCS versions had the 'Studio' .. and the AC-3 Pro encoder, which had more encoding options. As I recall, once a Magix version of DVD Arc or VP is installed, the Dolby AC-3 pro is removed. There are work-a-rounds to get it back though. Much discussion on this soon after the Magix acquisition. Search this forum.

john_dennis wrote on 12/9/2019, 1:32 PM

I have the Dolby Digital AC-3 Pro encoder available in Vegas Pro 13-453. Only the studio version in Vegas Pro 14-270, Vegas Pro 15-416 or Vegas Pro 17-353.

Even though I have multiple licenses for DVD Architect, I still only have 5.2 loaded on my workstation. It does everything that I want to do these days.

Musicvid wrote on 12/9/2019, 5:56 PM

Even though I have multiple licenses for DVD Architect, I still only have 5.2 loaded on my workstation. It does everything that I want to do these days.

Same here.

Rednroll wrote on 12/9/2019, 6:58 PM

The later versions of DVD Arc only have the AC-3 'Studio' encoder. Earlier SCS versions had the 'Studio' .. and the AC-3 Pro encoder, which had more encoding options. As I recall, once a Magix version of DVD Arc or VP is installed, the Dolby AC-3 pro is removed. There are work-a-rounds to get it back though. Much discussion on this soon after the Magix acquisition. Search this forum.

Thanks rraud. I searched on YouTube, hoping to find the answer instead since I've read some of those discussions on this forum in the past and they got kind of long winded.

Here's what I found....

Although in Spanish speaking, here's what I'm seeing on making this work.

1. Copy the DD AC3 Pro DLL from a previous version of Vegas Pro that supported it from the File I/O folder.

2. Paste the DLL into the File I/O folder location of the DD AC3 "studio" folder of the latest version of Vegas Pro installed and rename it to the same file name as the DD AC3 "Studio" DLL.

Does that seem about right?

Essentially, you're replacing the studio DLL with the Pro DLL and Vegas will now recognize and use the Pro DLL.

Film_Digital wrote on 1/21/2020, 1:55 PM

Unless I did something wrong, the above "trick" will no longer work. In my experience, V16 was the last version in which it would; V17 immediately aborts when loading. BTW, there is a bit more to it than what you have deduced. Please see https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ac3-pro-render-missing-in-vp14--103633/?page=8

for full details. If you try it and get it to work, please let me know!

Rednroll wrote on 1/21/2020, 6:56 PM

Unless I did something wrong, the above "trick" will no longer work. In my experience, V16 was the last version in which it would; V17 immediately aborts when loading. BTW, there is a bit more to it than what you have deduced. Please see https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/ac3-pro-render-missing-in-vp14--103633/?page=8

for full details. If you try it and get it to work, please let me know!

Yep, I tried the above steps installing multiple older versions of Vegas, didn't have success and just gave up. I haven't done any surround sound projects in some time, and gave up. It was more of a nice to have feature for me personally. I'm going to bookmark the link you posted, for just in case purposes down the road.

Film_Digital wrote on 1/22/2020, 1:11 AM

Yup, messed up something 1st time around since 2nd time worked. Thanks!