Vegas Pro 17 / Screen Capture Audio / Video Out of Sync

crown2020 wrote on 10/13/2020, 12:31 PM

Hello Again Everyone. I'm having an issue with audio/video sync. I preformed a screen capture using a program called Debut by NCH software. I then placed the captured file on the Vegas Pro Timeline and preformed some very basic edits. The pre-rendered portion of the file I selected, (of interest to me), is out of sync audio to video. I have tried allowing Vegas Pro 17 to use the source file settings as well as allowing Vegas Pro 17 to adjust the media/source file settings to better match the project settings. Neither has worked out for me. The Debut tech support folks responded to this same question with this:

"Most video and audio sync issue is caused by the bit rate and format used for both audio and video. One thing you could do on Debut is to adjust the 'Encoder Options'. Try to change the Compression Settings for the video and change the sound format. It might be a trial and error from there."

The problem I have with the above suggestion is that it's very broad, vague, and gives no clear guidance. I have followed up with Debut. I await there next anticipated response, (days in the making later).

Here is the Media Info for the "raw" captured file:

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Owner\Videos\Customer Raw Data\Mission Point Jubilee (2020)\Friday Night October 9th, 2020 - Ralph Sexton - Legacy Five\Friday October 9th, 2020 - Ralph Sexton - Legacy Five.mpg
Format                                   : MPEG-PS
File size                                : 4.15 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 20 min
Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable
Overall bit rate                         : 4 241 kb/s

Video
ID                                       : 224 (0xE0)
Format                                   : MPEG Video
Format version                           : Version 2
Format profile                           : Main@High 1440
Format settings                          : BVOP
Format settings, BVOP                    : Yes
Format settings, Matrix                  : Default
Format settings, GOP                     : M=3, N=12
Bit rate mode                            : Variable
Bit rate                                 : 4 028 kb/s
Maximum bit rate                         : 9 000 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 880 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 3:2
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Compression mode                         : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.060
Time code of first frame                 : 00:00:00:00
Time code source                         : Group of pictures header
GOP, Open/Closed                         : Open
Stream size                              : 3.94 GiB (95%)

Audio
ID                                       : 192 (0xC0)
Format                                   : MPEG Audio
Format version                           : Version 1
Format profile                           : Layer 2
Bit rate mode                            : Constant
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Channel(s)                               : 2 channels
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Frame rate                               : 41.667 FPS (1152 SPF)
Delay relative to video                  : -17 ms
Stream size                              : 128 MiB (3%)

Menu

Anything I could try, specifically in Vegas Pro 17, that one could suggest, would be appreciated. I am fresh out of things to try.

@Musicvid - He suggested, some time ago, I try Video Redo to sync my Audio/Video Issues. Then, it was an actual file I had downloaded. Now, it's an actual screen capture. His suggestion my still be the best way regardless of how I obtained the out of sync file. It's worth noting that using Video Redo on this file has absolutely FIXED my issue, (at least in preview mode). It's encoding now. I was not expecting a 9 plus hour encode. I thought Video Redo would just remux it. Not so. Odd because the source file is an mpeg. Mpeg is the only format, to my understanding, that Video Redo will "Remux", much like Vegas Pro when it only re encodes your changes, without recompression, for an mpeg file only.

I did use Hand Break to re encode the file to a constant frame rate rather than a variable frame rate. It did HELP. Very close, but no cigar. I'm also not wanting to convert to mp4 to PARTIALLY correct the audio sync issue, make edits in Vegas Pro, then compress again to my final desired format. Remember, I'm starting with an mpeg screen capture of a video that has already been compressed for you tube and facebook to began with.

Any help or clarification any of you could give would be appreciated. It would be so much better to have a way to handle this in Vegas Pro, not having a 9 plus hour encode, per file, in Video Redo, before I can began edits in Vegas Pro, then compress yet again. Making edits within Video Redo is not quite as easy as edits in Vegas Pro. Not to mention I won't have access to various plug in's I use and have paid for.

Thanks to all, in advance, for your time.

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 10/13/2020, 3:04 PM

Try using OBS for your capture. NCH is pretty unsophisticated.

My current best settings are here.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-what-obs-studio-settings-work-well-with-vegas-pro--109925/#ca762521

crown2020 wrote on 10/14/2020, 1:38 AM

@Musicvid Thanks for the suggestion to use OBS. I've tried several short captures with it. So far, so good, (on the capture part). However, I can't get Vegas Pro 17 to read my output file. Here is the file output info:

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Owner\Videos\2020-10-14 01-21-49.avi
Format                                   : AVI
Format/Info                              : Audio Video Interleave
Format profile                           : OpenDML
File size                                : 1.92 GiB
Duration                                 : 53 s 650 ms
Overall bit rate                         : 308 Mb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.29.100

Video
ID                                       : 0
Format                                   : YUV
Codec ID                                 : ULH0
Codec ID/Info                            : Ut Video Lossless Codec
Codec ID/Hint                            : Ut Video
Duration                                 : 53 s 650 ms
Bit rate                                 : 306 Mb/s
Width                                    : 1 280 pixels
Height                                   : 1 024 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 5:4
Frame rate                               : 60.000 FPS
Compression mode                         : Lossless
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 3.895
Stream size                              : 1.91 GiB (99%)

Audio
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : PCM
Format settings                          : Little / Signed
Codec ID                                 : 1
Duration                                 : 53 s 632 ms
Bit rate                                 : 1 536 kb/s
Sampling rate                            : 48.0 kHz
Bit depth                                : 16 bits
Stream size                              : 9.82 MiB (0%)
Alignment                                : Aligned on interleaves
Interleave, duration                     : 21  ms (1.28 video frame)

What settings should I use if my final target media will be DVD? (I will not be using DVDA to encode that DVD).

I would also like to encode to an mp4.

Could you please tell me what I have done wrong to cause this screen capture not to import into Vegas and suggest some settings to achieve the (2) above desired output formats?

Thank you, in advance, as always, for your time and consideration.

Musicvid wrote on 10/14/2020, 7:03 AM

I'm sorry for being such a leapfrog. It uses the UT codec which you need to install also on your system. It is a 1:1 lossless capture.

https://www.videohelp.com/software/Ut-Video-Codec-Suite

Then it will be installed for Vegas as an AVI (vfw) codec which will decode your captured OBS files and also encode using the UT intermediate format.

To encode a DVD, use the MPEG-2 DVD Architect template corresponding to your source and an AC3 audio in the DVD template.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/tutorials/basic-training-for-dvd-architect--106103/

Use the Sony AVC Internet templates for your MP4.

Thanks for reminding me never to assume too much.

Lots of tutorial resources listed here:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/got-questions-consult-the-tutorials-first-please--120282/

Musicvid wrote on 10/14/2020, 7:11 AM

Now, for something completely different:

If you captured your file from an internet stream, have you tried 4k Video Downloader? It's free.

crown2020 wrote on 10/14/2020, 11:22 AM

@Musicvid, Thank you for the information. I will try 4k Video Downloader. However, I'm not giving up on OBS just yet. You mention using DVDA to make the DVD. Is this an absolute requirement to make the DVD? I would rather use VegaSaur, encode the DVD spec to an iso and burn with an outside program. Possible?

Thank you for your time.

crown2020 wrote on 10/20/2020, 10:34 AM

@Musicvid, I downloaded 4k Video Downloader. It has proven to be a useful tool. However, if I wish to edit, with Vegas Pro 17, using a SONY template, the encode will fail. Using Magix Main Concept, the files will encode. If I wish to use VegaSaur to create an iso for a DVD, same issue. It fails every time. (I have reached out to VegaSaur Tech Support on this issue). Here is the media info, (as captured by 4k Video Downloader):

General
Complete name                            : C:\Users\Owner\Videos\Customer Raw Data\Mission Point Jubilee (2020)\Friday Night - Second 4k Downloader Video\Mission Point Jubilee.mp4
Format                                   : MPEG-4
Format profile                           : Base Media
Codec ID                                 : isom (isom/iso2/avc1/mp41)
File size                                : 2.42 GiB
Duration                                 : 2 h 14 min
Overall bit rate                         : 2 566 kb/s
Writing application                      : Lavf58.20.100

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : AVC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec
Format profile                           : High@L4
Format settings                          : CABAC / 3 Ref Frames
Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes
Format settings, Reference frames        : 3 frames
Codec ID                                 : avc1
Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding
Duration_FirstFrame                      : -33 ms
Bit rate                                 : 2 430 kb/s
Width                                    : 1 920 pixels
Height                                   : 1 080 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 30.000 FPS
Minimum frame rate                       : 30.000 FPS
Maximum frame rate                       : 30.020 FPS
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Scan type                                : Progressive
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.039
Stream size                              : 2.29 GiB (95%)
Color range                              : Limited
Color primaries                          : BT.709
Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709
Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709
Codec configuration box                  : avcC

Audio
ID                                       : 2
Format                                   : AAC LC
Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID                                 : mp4a-40-2
Bit rate                                 : 128 kb/s
Channel layout                           : L R
Sampling rate                            : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate                               : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Stream size                              : 123 MiB (5%)
Default                                  : Yes
Alternate group                          : 1

I apologize, in advance, for my lack of codex and container understanding. I'm not a programmer. I'm trying to understand what seems to be incompatibility issues, (with the above media info codex), and that of my desired target media. Thoughts?

Musicvid wrote on 10/20/2020, 12:49 PM

You must encode to precise, correct DVD specification, SD Mpeg-2 / AC3, 25i 720x576 PAL or 29.97i NTSC, to make a DVD. You cannot make a high definition DVD!

It doesn't matter what author program you use, the requirements are the same. Thats why Vegas has compliant DVD video and audio render templates already there for you. Suggest you start at the beginning with a good tutorial; I don't have time to guide you step by step. I'm also quite sure you've been made aware of the resources previously. Good luck!

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/tutorials/basic-training-for-dvd-architect--106103/

Vegausaur has its own tutorials. I had no idea it has DVD-compliant templates!?

crown2020 wrote on 10/20/2020, 8:33 PM

@Musicvid, First, thanks for the reply. It's always nice to hear your thoughts.

"You must encode to precise, correct DVD specification"

I know this. I have successfully placed other files on DVD in the past using VegaSaur > Render As > iso. I have sent a support request, as previously stated, to VegaSaur. I'm not sure what's going on with this file that is causing VegaSaur to not encode it, as an iso, (DVD Spec). Before you tell me how an iso is not a file format but rather a container, I know. The template used by VegaSaur IS a DVD compliant template. In fact, I use Marks Bit Rate calculator to set the VBR rates. I generally like avoiding DVDA. I like using the Render As an iso option in VegaSaur. I was hoping, with your knowledge, you could look at the media info I posted here and give me your best guess as to why Vegasaur refuses to encode this file. I realize it's probably a question for the VegaSaur team. I just thought I would ask. Can't answer the VegaSaur question? Understood. What about a more specific question to Vegas Pro 17. The media info I posted here will not encode using a Sony template. It WILL encode using Magix Main Concept. Why?

" You cannot make a high definition DVD!"

Say it ain't so! NOWHERE in my initial post did I indicate that I was trying to encode this file as a high definition DVD. While the media info indicates it's an HD file, VegaSaur is NOT taking that file and burning it, or attempting to burn it to an iso WITHOUT making it DVD compliant.

"Vegausaur has its own tutorials"

I have never seen it for rendering an iso. Even so, I am not sure what good it would do. It's an issue with the file, not my understating of how to do something I have done countless times with VegaSaur, (at least until I hit this road block).

"I'm also quite sure you've been made aware of the resources previously"

Correct. I have. I do not like DVDA. It's why I use VegaSaur. MOST of the time, it meets my needs. This situation might be the exception.

" I had no idea it has DVD-compliant templates!?"

I THINK VegaSaur actually leverages, through scripting, existing templates of Vegas Pro to create the DVD iso. If I better understood exactly HOW this process was being done, this post my not have even been necessary.

Your "bedside manor" aside, In my opinion, there are few people on this form with your level of experience and expertise. I have read countless form posts that have evolved you over the years. I am just trying to learn why this file fails to encode under VegaSaur as an iso AND Vegas Pro using Sony templates.

I thank you, in advance, for any, if any, of your time you wish to contribute to my follow up here.

ALL OTHERS are welcome to chime in here. This is a public form, not a pm. I tagged "musicvid" because I thought my initial questions would be up his alley. Maybe I was wrong. Only time will tell.

UPDATE: The Vegasaur folks have confirmed that they are actually using Vegas Templates. My image of them being magicians is shattered. 😄 I used this template, through VegaSaur:

THAT MAKES the encode I was attempting DVD COMPLIANT. Having said that, the lack of Vegas preforming an encode had little to do with the file itself. It had EVERYTHING to do with GPU acceleration having to be turned off. That's ultimately what allowed my encode to go through.

I apologize if I did not make myself clear when I said " the encode will fail" What I meant here was Vegas was hanging. It was failing to complete the above referenced DVD compliant template.

Now, having said all that, I stated the following in my initial request for help:

"using a SONY template, the encode will fail. Using Magix Main Concept, the files will encode."

GPU rendering remained ON when this Magix template worked: Why?

Why did GPU acceleration not have to be turned off for the above Magix template to work, BUT, GPU acceleration HAD TO BE off for this main concept MPEG-2 template to work:

Clearly, I have a lack of understanding here regarding GPU rendering. I'm baffled the GPU slowed my rending, even hanging it up, rather than doing what a GPU should do, which is speed it up. I'd welcome anyone's thoughts here. I am clearly confused but willing to learn. You might even say a little desperate to grasp this concept. How can one be expected to learn if there is no clear explanation in ones mind as to why ticking off an option fixed the issue?