Video experiment

Former user wrote on 5/26/2019, 11:54 PM

This is my first video of this type. My goal is to create a series of calming videos. Videos to help you relax or go someplace else in your mind. I also wanted to experiment with color correcting and my new guitar effx pedal. There is nothing earthshaking or groundbreaking, just a new genre for me.

(This is not my first video, just the first of this type, so please be gentle in any critiques, thanks)

I call it "Calm After The Storm" and it is just scenes around my yard after a rainstorm.

If you watch it directly on youtube, it is 1080p. The video here seems to be a bit lower res.

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 5/27/2019, 1:29 AM

I like it! The colors especially are soothing and stimulating at the same time.

The music is great to my very limited ears, but the full dynamic range can be a little bit challenging for older listeners. My usual starting place is with 2:1 compression and a little limiting if needed. Wave Hammer in Sound Forge is wonderful for this.

All in all, it's a great treatment, and you should keep doing these because you have talent for the genre. Don't expect it to sell, though...

Former user wrote on 5/27/2019, 10:59 AM

Thanks for your comments. I am guessing the you think the music needs to be louder. I didn't want it to overwhelm the nat sounds. By compressing it I would assume I would get a fuller volume but still have the illusion of the dynamics of the notes. Some are quieter by design and some are just bad strumming. Would you raise the nats as well and should I compress them? Thanks again.

Fortunately, I am not planning nor needing to make money. Just a creative outlet.

Musicvid wrote on 5/27/2019, 1:08 PM

I think the music needs to be compressed 2:1 (very modest) and loudness set to best practice standards for either internet or broadcast, whichever you intend. Broadcast will definitely sound softer. These are fixed standards.

We are discussing Dynamic Range Compression, meaning "How much difference between the softest and loudest passages in the music?" Volume is an entirely separate consideration.

I can show you if you will upload an original audio source, not processed by Youtube.

US broadcast standard (ATSC A85) is -23 LUFS, and just a speck softer than EUB R128 (-24 LKFS). Internet "reference" is the Apple iTunes standard, almost exactly 6dB louder than ATSC.

We know internet loudness is all over the place. But it is especially important if your beautiful guitar work is ever to be broadcast. My suggestion is for folks whose hearing may not process full dynamic range as well as you kiddos. It's a moving target.

https://blog.frame.io/2017/08/09/audio-spec-sheet/

Former user wrote on 5/27/2019, 1:20 PM

Would you need the separate tracks or a mix? I would love to see hear what you do. Audio mixing is not my specialty.

Musicvid wrote on 5/27/2019, 3:31 PM

Just your final mix, wav or FLAC.

jrb101 wrote on 5/28/2019, 11:20 AM

Awesome video and great playing! - and I agree with @Musicvid that just a light compression on the guitar part will level things out nicely for a smoother presentation. At 2:1 it shouldn't destroy the dynamics though, so they'll still be in there, and the limiter at broadcast standards should just level it off at a consistent "full" volume (whilst retaining the dynamics in the playing).

Stylistically, you may also want to EQ the nature sounds and guitar parts around each other (e.g. slightly cut the nature sounds in the frequency range of the guitar) so the guitar comes through with a little more clarity, but it's by no means wrong as it is, and as I say it would just be my stylistic choice (and we're all different in our music!) that said, the way you have it currently it all folds together which may actually be more suitable for relaxation sounds... so perhaps ignore that last comment! 😂

What's the pedal? Sounds like a compressor (for those long tails) and a subtle chorus, tremolo or uni-vibe type effect for the modulation...

Jon Baker - Experienced in music creation, still a newbie at the video game 😉

(YouTube and Instagram - "Jon's Musical Musings")

PC: AMD Ryzen 3 2200G Desktop w/16GB DDR4 and Radeon RX570 (4GB) , ~5TB of storage across various HDDs, Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 audio interface, Mackie CR5BT studio monitors, 24" 1080p monitor (not anything special!)

For capture: Olympus PEN E-PL6 camera (1080p30) with external mic input adaptor and Olympus ME51S electret lavalier and Takstar SGC-598 shotgun mic and a Samsung Galaxy S10e (4K30 or 4K60) with Filmic Pro or stock video apps and external mic adaptor.

Former user wrote on 5/28/2019, 12:47 PM

jrb101, thanks for your comments. I am going to send Musicvid a wav file (soon I hope) and see what he has in mind. I have spent my career editing video but usually had a crew that did audio.
The pedal is the new Zoom G1X Four. It is a very affordable effx pedal with an expression pedal and many programmed effx as well as allowing a lot of customization. I am still learning it but thought this would be a chance to try effx you might not ordinarily use. I will look at the setting and let you know what particular effx were layered to create this one.

Thanks again for viewing and your comments.

Former user wrote on 5/28/2019, 1:07 PM

Musicvid, dropbox has changed some things so let me know if you can access this. If not, I will get it to you some other way.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Public?preview=Calm+After+the+Storm.wav

Musicvid wrote on 5/28/2019, 2:19 PM

I know, they sure made a mess of things. it says folder "Public" does not exist, although it exists on mine. Grazie was able to create a Shared folder that both of us can access and edit. I don't see a user account on your link.

Former user wrote on 5/28/2019, 2:59 PM

Okay, I will just play with the compression myself. Thanks for the offer.

john_dennis wrote on 5/28/2019, 4:46 PM

I recorded your audio from youtube and leveled it about the way I would have submitted it without the benefit of separate tracks.

Download here.

Look at it in Vegas with the Loudness meters. I didn't completely tame the pick. 

Former user wrote on 5/28/2019, 8:28 PM

Thanks John. I will put your waveform up against my tracks and see if I can match it using compression. Thanks for the view and your help.

Former user wrote on 5/28/2019, 9:49 PM

Okay, I am probably to sound stupid, but it seems to me that the compression only increases the background nats, which become overwhelming. What is the point of the compression?

john_dennis wrote on 5/28/2019, 9:54 PM

I know your primary interest is the guitar, but to me, it seems the water sounds and other ambient sounds are a major part of the experience.

Former user wrote on 4/1/2020, 11:19 PM

The weather was finally nice and I am social distancing so I made another peaceful video. A few things I am not happy with, but I hope you enjoy it.

Flowers, Tree, and a Bee

Musicvid wrote on 4/1/2020, 11:33 PM

I know the phrase has been used, but "awesome blossoms!"

Will get to the music tomorrow, but I think you've got it nailed.

Former user wrote on 4/2/2020, 9:17 AM

thanks for watching, your comments are always welcomed.

Musicvid wrote on 4/2/2020, 11:54 AM

I tend to agree with @john_dennis

It sounds like the music and ambient audio are approximately the same volume.

You could duck the guitar a little as j_d suggests.

No criticism, just things to try. Your treatment is unique, and provocative.

Former user wrote on 4/2/2020, 1:19 PM

John Dennis was reacting to the video I posted previously I believe. I was trying something with the guitar, it may not have worked. I wanted to get the feeling it was music reflecting off the side of a garage or house. Like a party a few doors down. I don't know, probably overthinking. I will play with the mix a bit more. Thanks again for your feedback.

Musicvid wrote on 4/2/2020, 1:43 PM

Yes, I was actually thinking about the first one. The ambient on the second one is not as interesting to me, so maybe that could be de-emphasized.

But follow your own instinct and take advice with a grain of salt. There are several channels on Pluto, etc. that are worth listening to for mixing ideas.

rstrong wrote on 4/3/2020, 5:48 PM

Hey Dot.....can we catch the original video from 2019 somewhere?

thank you........robert

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

Former user wrote on 4/3/2020, 6:43 PM

@rstrong  Here is the link. Your feedback is welcome.

rstrong wrote on 4/4/2020, 7:45 PM

Dot.....great videos, and good job playing the guitar, it sure set the right mood for me. Thanks again.

robert

R. Strong

Custom remote refrigerated water cooled system for CPU & GPU. Intel i7- 6950X, 10 Core (4.3 Turbo) 64gb DDR4, Win7 64 Bit, SP1. Nvidia RTX 2080, Studio driver 431.36, Cameras: Sony HVR-Z5U, HVR-V1U, HVR-A1U, HDR-HC3. Canon 5K MK2, SX50HS. GoPro Hero2. Nikon CoolPix P510. YouTube: rstrongvideo

Musicvid wrote on 4/5/2020, 2:42 PM

Of everything you've uploaded, I liked that one the best! It drew me right in. Wish it were longer.