Vegas Pro 12-14, youtube, fades are blurry/pixelated (AVCHD, x264)

Daniella wrote on 9/23/2017, 12:20 PM

Hi everyone,

For several weeks now I have been spending my time on trying to solve a render problem… in vain. I badly need a piece of professional advice. Thanks a lot in advance.

The problem concerns a music video that I was asked to create. Although I am not a professional moviemaker I love editing, so I accepted the job with pleasure.

The editing was finished last month, both the artistic and technical quality was nice on my pc… but as soon as the video was uploaded on youtube, some parts of it became blurry & pixelated. (Actually only the fades are ugly, i.e. the fade-ins, fade-outs and cross-fades; all the rest is good.)

The music video cannot be made public yet, I have to get rid of the "phantoming" first but don’t know how, and time is of the essence.

Technical details: Video camera Sony HDR-PJ810, footage AVCHD shot in 1920x1080p, at 25fps (and also a few 50fps takes for slow motions). Edited with Sony Vegas Pro 12, a few effects added such as colour correction or smooth stabilizer. Rendered at 25fps, 6Mbps and higher… rendered through the famous x264 codec which is said to be a great codec to deliver in h.264 for the web (youtu.be/lWFFCusRp7g). Project properties matching footage properties, render settings matching project properties… short, it should be working fine on youtube.

I have watched heaps of video tutorials on the subject, read a big number of forum threads, disabled the “smart resample”, made changes in the x264 configuration, raised the bit rate, lowered the bit rate, exported again, and again and again… with no improvement. I have even borrowed a friend's pc which has Sony vegas Pro 14 installed, and a stronger CPU, but the result is the same: the fades stay blurry and pixelated. It is like banging my head against a brick wall.

Is there something I’m missing, or a step I skipped? How come other videos are so perfect on youtube? I have watched vids made by complete beginners, and the quality is way better. Maybe, for my next music videos, I should buy some professional second-hand video camera which would shoot in a better format than AVCHD? I don’t know. I was told that AVCHD was a good format for Sony Vegas Pro, and that I would have amazing results on youtube (that’s why I bought it in the first place). Yet today I have read that is not a very good format for rendering and uploading to youtube. *sigh*… Too much info on the net, one doesn't know what to believe and what not to.

Vegascreativesoftware forum seems to be a serious page. Could you help me please? Any suggestion will be very appreciated. Many thanks.

DS

Comments

john_dennis wrote on 9/23/2017, 12:49 PM

The youtube delivery bit rate is often the limiting factor for complex scenes.

Hint: Fades and crossfade are complex scenes. Don't be afraid to throw more bits at the render, but don't be surprised if youtube pinches them off when they re-encode your video.

Daniella wrote on 9/23/2017, 1:42 PM

Thank you so much for your ultrafast answer.

I will follow your advice and make the bitrate higher (will 25Mbps be enough?)…can't wait to see if it works.

john_dennis wrote on 9/23/2017, 1:57 PM

25 Mbps may not fix the problem if it is in the youtube encode, but it won't hurt anything except the use of network bandwidth and youtube's disk space. Go for it.  

Musicvid wrote on 9/23/2017, 8:14 PM

X264vfw is crippled because AVI does not support its compression features, making it about as efficient as mpeg-2.

Similarly, AVCHD is very bitrate-challenged because it is a hardware format that doesn't try to be efficient, just accurate.

x264 in Handbrake, for instance, is much better. That said, YouTube does what it does with fades and transitions.

NickHope wrote on 9/23/2017, 9:38 PM

Agreed, x264vfw is not a good idea. x264 in an MP4 wrapper is.

Take a look at this post: https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-how-can-i-improve-the-quality-of-my-avc-h-264-renders--104642/

As things stand, if you can't get Vegas2Handbrake working (likely), then I would render out an intermediate file (I use MagicYUV RGB for this) and render an MP4 file with x264 in Handbrake.

I use a Constant Quality setting for H.264 rather than setting a bitrate. For my last YouTube upload I used Constant Quality 16 and Encoder Preset "Slower". The rest of the settings I left at default.

Once the video is on YouTube, open a 1080 version of it, right-click on the video, and choose "Stats for nerds" from the bottom of the menu. Unless you're a YouTube star it will probably say something like "avc" in it, meaning that the video is being delivered as AVC (H.264). You want to try and get that changed to VP9, which seems to be superior. I've had success using Walsh's method:

1. Click "Edit Video" below the video on YouTube (or get to it through YouTube Creator Studio)
  2. Click "Enhancements"
  3. Let the video play a few seconds then pause it and drag the playhead back to the start.
  4. Do nothing else and click "Save". You'll then see "Edit in progress" over the thumbnail.
  5. Leave it a few hours and with luck your video should be presented in VP9.

I've just tried to get another old AVC one converted to VP9 using this method and it did work. Not sure how long it took but 6 hours later it's VP9.

Musicvid wrote on 9/24/2017, 6:39 AM

then I would render out an intermediate file (I use MagicYUV RGB for this) and render an MP4 file with x264 inHandbrake.

Handbrake also has the x265 encoder, that although slow as snails, is getting high marks. Wonder how that would look comparatively as vp9 converted on YouTube?

Daniella wrote on 9/24/2017, 6:58 AM

John_dennis, MusicVid, NickHope, thank you – thank you – thank you!!! It is so very kind of you to have reacted to my post and shared your professional knowledge/experience with me. I am forever grateful.

The 25Mbps didn't work (I ran to my pc first thing in the morning and saw, on youtube, the same blur on the fades & transitions), so right now I am reading the articles/posts/faq… wow, it's like being inside Aladdin's cave of wonders…  heaps of precious info! I thought I knew quite a lot about editing and rendering but I realize I still have a lot to learn. And everything is clearly presented and explained, with pictures attached… way better than what I have seen/read/watched on various other websites.

I will follow the instructions to the letter and report as soon as I have achieved something acceptable. Again, thanks a mil! Keeping fingers crossed,

DS

NickHope wrote on 9/24/2017, 7:12 AM

then I would render out an intermediate file (I use MagicYUV RGB for this) and render an MP4 file with x264 inHandbrake.

Handbrake also has the x265 encoder, that although slow as snails, is getting high marks. Wonder how that would look comparatively as vp9 converted on YouTube?

I was about to say that they don't support H.265 upload, but it sounds like some people have started to have success. YouTube are still officially recommending H.264 though.

Musicvid wrote on 9/24/2017, 8:58 AM

Daniella, can you upload a short original footage that shows the problem when uploaded to YT? You need to use a file sharing site for this.

Former user wrote on 9/24/2017, 10:16 AM

Also, be sure when you watch in on youtube that you are watching the Highest Quality version. It doesn't always default to that.

Daniella wrote on 9/24/2017, 10:22 AM

Daniella, can you upload a short original footage that shows the problem when uploaded to YT? You need to use a file sharing site for this.

Musicvid, thank you!  Here is a link to a short original footage: https://we.tl/XIx7entEyo

Daniella wrote on 9/24/2017, 10:24 AM

Also, be sure when you watch in on youtube that you are watching the Highest Quality version. It doesn't always default to that.

Thanks, david-tu. The thing is, the fades are blurry/pixelated even at 1080p (on youtube).

Musicvid wrote on 9/24/2017, 10:57 AM

Yes that kind of complex motion is going to be mush on YouTube, no doubt. Go to sharp cuts is my only suggestion.

Do you have a Vimeo account? It's better, but not perfect.

NickHope wrote on 9/24/2017, 12:15 PM

That AVC > VP9 trick by saving YouTube enhancements did work again for me today. Not sure how long it took but 6 hours later it's changed from AVC to VP9.

john_dennis wrote on 9/24/2017, 1:45 PM

I'm curious how my methods would look on youtube, so I uploaded a video using daniella's sample file.. There is a crossfade from a colored screen and a simple fade to black.

The VP9 processing was started at about 1130 PST.

Stats for Nerds: (Sometimes photo upload gets broken. This is one of those times.)

john_dennis wrote on 9/24/2017, 1:50 PM

Nick Hope said: "For my last YouTube upload"

My wife and I both watched your last upload mesmerized. I see you locked the focus on that GH4.

NickHope wrote on 9/24/2017, 9:27 PM

I'm curious how my methods would look on youtube, so I uploaded a video using daniella's sample file.. There is a crossfade from a colored screen and a simple fade to black.

The VP9 processing was started at about 1130 PST.

Stats for Nerds: (Sometimes photo upload gets broken. This is one of those times.)

Good job John. I'm seeing VP9 now here. The last fade to black is a bit iffy but I've seen a lot worse. What were your render settings?

Nick Hope said: "For my last YouTube upload"

My wife and I both watched your last upload mesmerized. I see you locked the focus on that GH4.

Thanks. It has to be done. I hate all that "micro-hunting" that auto-focus on the GH4 gives. It's actually one factor keeping me away from the GH5. I might have been tempted if they'd improved that.

john_dennis wrote on 9/24/2017, 11:49 PM

"What were your render settings?"

Nothing special. I used the Mainconcept AVC/MVC Internet HD 1080p template from Vegas 13-453 with the following changes:

It produced a file with these details:

Download the project and rendered file here.

Mindmatter wrote on 9/25/2017, 12:09 AM

I'm gonna add my 2 cents worth as a suggestion (with less technical knowledge as my Vegas collegues here):

Try rendering and uploading as AVC, either the Sony or mainconcept version. I usually render with an average of roughly 16 to 18 mb/s for YT. Yes, it's not looking as good as my originals once it's on YT, but I haven't gotten my head around the whole handbrake thing yet and AVC is convenient and seems like the next best thing. And it's true that on Vimeo, my AVC renders look noticably better / cleaner than on YT.

Before you render, switch your project properties to 32 bit. I find it greatly improves the quality of the fades in the rendered video..

Last changed by Mindmatter on 9/25/2017, 12:11 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 12x 3.7 GHz
32 GB DDR4-3200 MHz (2x16GB), Dual-Channel
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070, 8GB GDDR6, HDMI, DP, studio drivers
ASUS PRIME B550M-K, AMD B550, AM4, mATX
7.1 (8-chanel) Surround-Sound, Digital Audio, onboard
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 250GB, NVMe M.2 PCIe x4 SSD
be quiet! System Power 9 700W CM, 80+ Bronze, modular
2x WD red 6TB
2x Samsung 2TB SSD

Daniella wrote on 9/25/2017, 8:28 AM

Thank you all so much!!!

I am up to my neck in editing, rendering and uploading on youtube. Am using all the suggested methods.

Each rendering is done twice:

1. First with Sony Vegas Pro 12, on my good ol' ProBook-6560b. Only i5-2520M CPU @ 2.50Gh and 4Gb Ram, but the AMD Radeon HD 6470M is great. (I will have to buy a more powerful laptop soon, for editing & rendering more easily.)
  2. Second with Magix Vegas Pro 14, on my neighbour's brand new gaming Asus Strix which is more powerful; I don't like its graphic card much though (Nvidia Gforce GTX).

The 'Vegas2Handbrake' method is a bit complicated but I won't give up. Btw there is a link that doesn't work in the brilliant "(FAQ) How can I improve the quality of my AVC (H.264) renders?" Please see part 4: "4. x264 EXTERNAL ENCODER – 4c. Vegas2Handbrake – here". (web.archive.org/web/20160518100436/) The "2.1. - Download and install DebugMode FrameServer" link leads to "404 Not Found". Would you know where else I could download the DebugMode FrameServer? Thanks.

Oh and john_dennis wrote:

It produced a file with these details:

How did you get all these details, please? Do you use a special program for it? Thanks. When I right-click on a rendered video file, it doesn't show such detailed info.

In a day or two I will publish here links to all the results (my youtube uploads), for you to please help me pick the best one. The chosen upload will then be made public on youtube by the owner of the song.

Again, thank you all very much! For your time, for your kindness… It is a fantastic feeling to be so well supported.

DS

john_dennis wrote on 9/25/2017, 12:12 PM

Daniella-s wrote: "How did you get all these details, please? Do you use a special program for it? Thanks."

See Nicks FAQ here. 

"In a day or two I will publish here links to all the results (my youtube uploads), for you to please help me pick the best one. The chosen upload will then be made public on youtube by the owner of the song."

A few years ago I started a thread where the forum members were able to comment on different encoding methods based on what they observed from youtube. You might find this playlist on youtube interesting and informative.

I have Vegas2Handbrake running on my machines but I've become selective on when I use it in the last year.

NickHope wrote on 9/25/2017, 9:12 PM
Would you know where else I could download the DebugMode FrameServer?

http://www.debugmode.com/frameserver/

Daniella wrote on 9/26/2017, 6:31 PM

john_dennis, many thanks for the info, thread and playlist… so very interesting… I have learned more in this couple of days than in a whole month.

Nick Hope, thank you for the www.debugmode.com/frameserver/ page. Unfortunately the link is dead too (the Frameserver 2.14. that is). It seems one can only get Frameserver 2.15 now, for Vegas Pro 13+. 

Anyway, I need to face the reality: I can't keep on borrowing my neighbour's laptop forever just to use his version of Vegas. And since I will be editing more music videos, I have to buy better, more recent devices and software. Not only a stronger pc and a different video camera, but also a recent Sony/Magix Vegas, like the one my neighbour has, Pro 14 build 211 (or should I buy directly Pro 15?).

Musicvid said: "Similarly, AVCHD is very bitrate-challenged because it is a hardware format that doesn't try to be efficient, just accurate.Thanks. Very useful info. Which would be the most efficient format these days for editing, rendering and uploading to youtube? The Sony PJ810 was clearly a wrong purchase, it is a nice tiny thing but it's not what I need, and the colours are somehow exaggerated. Now some people say that DSLR cameras are the best… but I never take photos, I only shoot and capture stills from the footage. Also, many of the DSLR cameras do not have a viewer, yet I don't know how to shoot properly without it. I learned to film on Sony VX2000, the best camera I have ever had: natural colours (3CCD), even at night (3lux), avi, great viewer, nice grip... I could film anything anywhere and the quality was always perfect. I still use it for archiving; bought great software years ago called scenalyzer (another successful purchase).

If only I could find an equivalent! Something that would have a viewer, produce natural colours, would look nice on youtube… and would shoot in 1080pixels. Quality of footage and of rendered product being my n°1 priority, I should probably buy something that shoots in an uncompressed/raw format… is there a difference between uncompressed, raw and lossless? A very strong pc/laptop would be necessary to read such format, I suppose.

Musicvid said: "Yes that kind of complex motion is going to be mush on YouTube, no doubt. Go to sharp cuts is my only suggestion. Do you have a Vimeo account? It's better, but not perfect."  The singer-songwriter prefers Youtube. (I have access to both her Youtube and Vimeo accounts and yes, Vimeo does offer a better quality.) As far as sharp cuts, I wish I could do without cross-fades but the artist insists on keeping them.

Back to the main subject: the blurry fades on youtube I have been trying to get rid of. I don't have much time to figure out the Vegas2Handbrake thingy, so I will use it for the next music video (on a newer Vegas Pro). The good news is my youtube uploads look way better. Yay!

There is one last method I would like to try and compare with the rest:

Mindmatter said: "Before you render, switch your project properties to 32 bit. I find it greatly improves the quality of the fades in the rendered video.." Which of the 32-bit floating points should I use please: video levels or full range? Thanks.

NickHope wrote on 9/26/2017, 10:29 PM
Nick Hope, thank you for the www.debugmode.com/frameserver/ page. Unfortunately the link is dead too (the Frameserver 2.14. that is). It seems one can only get Frameserver 2.15 now, for Vegas Pro 13+.

Here's a link to 2.14 that seems to work: https://web.archive.org/web/20150315034711/http://frame-server.googlecode.com/files/fssetup-2.14.exe

Pro 14 build 211 (or should I buy directly Pro 15?).

It will already be quite difficult to buy VP14. Within the next few days we are hoping Magix will release the first update to VP15 which will fix some bugs. I would wait until that is out and then install a free 30-day trial of it to see how you like it. You will get a watermark on your renders but otherwise it should be fully functional. To save a bit of money you could buy VP15 through VideoGuys (Edit version is currently $179.95 there). By the way you should advice your neighbour to update to the last version of VP14, which was build 270.

Which of the 32-bit floating points should I use please: video levels or full range? Thanks.

Video levels will keep the luminance nominally the same as 8-bit. Full range will increase the contrast.

For your camera questions, it would be better to start a new thread.