Purchased the full version after trial ended, won't open.

Ooo wrote on 11/15/2016, 5:31 AM

So I have just finished my 30 day free trial of movie studio 13, good product and I liked using it. So I thought okay lets buy it, so I did. After purchasing it I un-installed the old version and re-downloaded the one that was sent in the purcahse e-mail. I opened the program and this dialog box opens up - http://puu.sh/siXDZ/d694080b4c.jpg 

So I enter my serial number that was sent in the e-mail and click on submit, and this box opens - http://puu.sh/siXGU/327af95956.png

I click on the OK button, and the same dialog box from before re-opens - http://puu.sh/siXIB/3bf38239f7.png

I have rang 3 people on the phone but they seemed un-interested and to be quite frank useless at resloving the situation. Any suggestions on what to do?

Comments

vkmast wrote on 11/15/2016, 5:47 AM

Try https://support2.magix.com/customer/en/request

There must be someone at Magix who cares about the customers.

Ooo wrote on 11/15/2016, 5:58 AM

Oh don't worry, I have rang 3 times, used that once and sent 3 e-mails, nothing. Hence why I have resulted to asking the community instead.

vkmast wrote on 11/15/2016, 6:47 AM

Sorry, I don't remember seeing anything on this here since this thread, which did not provide a solution.

Ooo wrote on 11/15/2016, 7:16 AM

It says that the answer is no longer here when I click on your link in that thread.

vkmast wrote on 11/15/2016, 7:57 AM

Yes, that was also mentioned later in the thread. I haven't found that article anywhere any more even with Wayback Machine.

Ooo wrote on 11/15/2016, 8:42 AM

So I have spent £40 for a program that I can't use?

vkmast wrote on 11/15/2016, 8:59 AM

If no one of us "peer users" (we don't work for Magix) comes up with a solution, you just need to keep pestering Magix Customer Support. I wouldn't want to believe there isn't someone who cares.

Ooo wrote on 11/15/2016, 2:35 PM

I hope so too, but the 3 I've spoken too on the phone so far hav been awful, they didn't understand me so just gave up.

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 11/15/2016, 3:05 PM

Deleting the license key in the registry will resolve this issue.  This is a fairly simple change and I will provide the directions in a step by step fashion. 

The registry navigates just like a file tree in Windows explorer when you browse for a file.  

1. In Windows search or Cortana, type REGEDIT, and hit enter on the keyboard
2. Expand the menu next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
3.Expand the menu next to SOFTWARE
4. Expand the menu next to Wow6432Node
5. Expand the menu next to Sony Creative Software
6. Expand the menu next to Movie Studio
7. Expand the menu next to 13.0
8. You will see a folder labeled License - right click this folder and choose delete.  If prompted, confirm you wish to delete the folder.
9. Once the folder has been deleted, close the Registry Editor.
10. Launch the program again.  You should be prompted to enter your serial number.

EricLNZ wrote on 11/15/2016, 9:17 PM

This raises an interesting question.

What is the recommeded procedure when moving from a trial version to a purchased one.  Should you uninstall the trial before installing your new purchased version.  Or just insert the product key that came with the purchased version into your installed trial version, assuming there is provision to do this.

Personally I don't consider that customers should have to play around with registry entries.  There is something wrong with the software if this is necessary to get it going.

Ooo wrote on 11/16/2016, 8:40 AM

Thank you for solving the issue, however I do have to agree with the above comment, there is something wrong if I have to do that to get it to work, how else would I have known that? Thanks anyway

VEGAS_EricD wrote on 11/16/2016, 2:14 PM

You may activate a trial as a full version using the full version serial or you may uninstall, reinstall from the confirmation email, and activate using the full version serial. 

This issue only occurs under specific circumstances and does not affect all users.  As new versions of the products are released they will use the MAGIX activation system (how Vegas 14 activates currently), which has not experienced this issue. 

EricLNZ wrote on 11/16/2016, 7:29 PM

Thanks Eric D.  Looking forward to Vegas Movie Studio 14 which obviously won't have this problem.