New Vegas Pro 18.0 Update Won't Install

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/3/2021, 7:39 PM

Every time I open Vegas Pro 18.0, a pop-up comes up asking to perform a major program update. I agree to the update, which takes about ten minutes. It says Vegas Pro needs to restart for the update to take place. I press okay. The program closes. A sign comes up that says "Do you want this program to make changes to your computer?" I hit okay. Nothing happens, no matter how long I wait. I re-open Vegas Pro 18.0 and the same pop-up comes up again, asking to perform the major program update which, again, takes 10 minutes if I agree to it. It seems the update is not successfully installing? I've tried restarting my computer and that also did nothing. What do I do?

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 11/3/2021, 8:57 PM

Vegas Pro 18 is probably still lurking in the background of your computer even though you've closed VP18 down - this is a known issue that has been around for many years. There are 2 ways to get around this: 1/ with VP18 shut down, go to the Task Manager and hit the 'End task' button for any instances of Vegas Pro that appear under the Processes tab, and then open VP18 again - the update should then install; or 2/ reboot the computer - which clears the background processes - and then try the upgrade again.

Or, even easier, download the update as an .exe file directly from the links on the forum at:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-where-can-i-download-vegas-pro-and-other-vegas-software--104782/?page=1

Under point 6, look for:

VEGAS POST Suite direct links inc. bundled apps & previous updates:

VEGAS POST 18.0 Update 5 (build 527) (Deutsch/English (US)/Francais/Spanish (mirror)

Build 527 was the final build for Vegas Pro 18.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 11:01 AM

Vegas Pro 18 is probably still lurking in the background of your computer even though you've closed VP18 down - this is a known issue that has been around for many years. There are 2 ways to get around this: 1/ with VP18 shut down, go to the Task Manager and hit the 'End task' button for any instances of Vegas Pro that appear under the Processes tab, and then open VP18 again - the update should then install

I opened Task Manager and there are no instances of Vegas Pro to shut down.

reboot the computer - which clears the background processes - and then try the upgrade again.

I've rebooted the computer and tried the upgrade again many times. It still isn't working.

Or, even easier, download the update as an .exe file directly from the links on the forum at:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-where-can-i-download-vegas-pro-and-other-vegas-software--104782/?page=1

Under point 6, look for:

VEGAS POST Suite direct links inc. bundled apps & previous updates:

VEGAS POST 18.0 Update 5 (build 527) (Deutsch/English (US)/Francais/Spanish (mirror)

Build 527 was the final build for Vegas Pro 18.

Just tried this, but it won't seem to let me do this either. When I click on the link, it takes me to a page that says "Your are now leaving the community. You will be automatically forwarded in 0 seconds. To continue immediately, simply click..." followed by a link. This page is stuck, and clicking on the link does nothing. Refreshing it does nothing. X-ing it out and going there again from the original page does nothing. It will not let me past this page.

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 11:10 AM

If you are using Chrome to download, it may not work without the workaround of copying the link text and pasting it to the browser. Try that or use another browser.

@whimsicaltoday

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 11:23 AM

If you are using Chrome to download, it may not work without the workaround of copying the link text and pasting it to the browser. Try that or use another browser.

This allowed me to download it, but once I did an error came up that said it's already installed; and that if I want to install it, I'll have to uninstall and reinstall it.

When I open Vegas Pro, it still insists it needs to be updated.

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 11:42 AM

See Online Help menu > About > General if you do have build 527 already installed.

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 11:45 AM

See Online Help menu > About > General if you do have build 527 already installed.

I already looked there and found nothing to help me. That's why I came here. I don't know what "build 527" is, I'm new to this, so I know very little about this. All I know is that the new update will not install. And when I try to install it, it doesn't work. I tried following the advice given here so far, but it just gave me an error message. I can't get this update to install. What do I do?

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 1:28 PM

Build 527 is the last update of VEGAS Pro 18 as @Dexcon mentioned in his comment.

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 1:37 PM

Build 527 is the last update of VEGAS Pro 18 as @Dexcon mentioned in his comment.

Ah, okay. Well, in that case, I'm not sure if it's installed. According to my Vegas Pro 18 program, it's not installed, because whenever I open the program, it prompts me to install it. But whenever I try to install it, an error message comes up saying it's already installed.

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 1:50 PM

Have you tried NOT "to agree to the update" (=ignore)?

@whimsicaltoday

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 1:52 PM

Have you tried NOT "to agree to the update" (=ignore)?

@whimsicaltoday

I have, but the editing software itself is non-functional when I try to use it. Which I assume is because the update is not installing correctly.

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 2:16 PM

What (if anything) do you see in your MAGIX account >My products > VEGAS Pro 18 > Show more details? Are there any product activations with your serial number in use?

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 2:22 PM

What (if anything) do you see in your MAGIX account >My products > VEGAS Pro 18 > Show more details? Are there any product activations with your serial number in use?

It shows Vegas Pro 365 and Sound Forge Pro (Vegas Pro 365).

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 2:41 PM

Please see the second paragraph in the last comment here. You'll find the download link(s) in the link Dexcon gave you.

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 3:51 PM

Please see the second paragraph in the last comment here. You'll find the download link(s) in the link Dexcon gave you.

I read the second paragraph in the comment linked. So if I'm understanding correctly, the real problem is that I need to upgrade to Vegas Pro 19? And I do so using download links from the page Dexcon gave me? I went to the page Dexcon gave me and there are hundreds of links, many of which are labeled Vegas Pro 19. Which ones do I download?

I did my best guess and downloaded one labeled "VEGAS_Pro_19.0.0.341_DE-EN-FR-ES_E35D6A5D". I installed it, registered it using my Vegas 365 license, followed the instructions. And it does not work at all; it's broken just like my Vegas Pro 18 program. So I'm guessing I either picked the wrong file or need to download additional files? I have no idea what I'm doing.

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 4:06 PM

You may need to try and contact VEGAS Support (advice here), unless someone comes up here with a working solution for your issue.

Btw, does your computer meet the system requirements?

whimsicaltoday wrote on 11/4/2021, 4:36 PM

I just got a friend to help me and we think we've solved it. The correct solution is to go to the Service Center > My Products > Vegas Pro 365 > Installation Program. Download that and run it. It brings up a list of programs it recommends downloading. I downloaded all the programs it recommended and let it do its thing. Then I registered it using my Vegas 365 license. It seems to be working now!

vkmast wrote on 11/4/2021, 4:46 PM

Excellent. Thanks for confirming.