Share Your Good Experiences With VEGAS Pro

-MH- wrote on 1/4/2023, 9:54 PM

Alright, so as you might easily understand from this thread of mine, I want to encourage everyone who has had a positive experience with VEGAS Pro to post their experiences below. Whilst I’m not trying to ignore negative experiences, it seems that there are more negative experiences with VEGAS Pro reported on this forum than positive ones.

Of course, I do understand that people do come on this forum to report the problems that they are having with the software in the desire and hope of getting some help (I and many other forum members have done this).

Nevertheless, I thought it’d be nice to see and read some good and positive experiences from many users who have used VEGAS Pro over the years and to detail them here, as I think it’d be nice for the developers to read them, verses the many negative (sometimes even extremely negative and trashing comments that are sometimes posted on this forum).

Happy posting!

Last changed by -MH-

John 14:6 | Romans 10:9-10, 13, 10:17 | Ephesians 2:8-9
————————————————————————————————————

Changed my username from MH7 to just MH.

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

VEGAS Pro Help: VEGAS Pro FAQs and TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TechWiredGeek

Video Cameras: Sony FDR-AX700 and iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 17)

============================================

My New Productivity Workstation/Gaming PC 2024

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D

Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend (AM5)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

Main SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
Storage SSD: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB SSD

GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT (16 GB)

Main Monitor: LG 27UD88-W 4K IPS

Secondary Monitor: LG 27UL850 4K HDR IPS

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 1/4/2023, 10:08 PM

Oh, I bought my first title, Vegas Video 2, two decades ago for $150. That's when I joined the Sonic Foundry forum. I've used it throughout my career in music, theatrical production, and education, not to mention three corporate brandowners.

NickHope wrote on 1/5/2023, 12:04 AM

My YouTube videos, edited exclusively with Vegas Pro, have a billion minutes of watch time over the last 5 years. So that's been good.

I originally started with Premiere 6, but was won over by Vegas 3's intuitiveness and easier workflow (auto cross-fades, rippling etc. etc.). I needed to edit fast because I was turning out VHS tapes, then DVDs, for scuba diving tourists.

Tried Resolve seriously about 3 years ago, mainly in the hope that my complex colour correction process might be automated/simplified, but couldn't get along with it.

It's not always been plain sailing (e.g. the replaced-clips horror bug around VP10) but, when properly configured on suitable hardware, Vegas has always allowed me to get the job done fairly smoothly.

3POINT wrote on 1/5/2023, 1:03 AM

To answer the topic question.

My positive experiences with Vegas are the ability to use scripts and script extensions like Vegasaur and the ability to get perfect renders when using Voukoder.

My negative experiences are instability., slowness of some effects like optical flow and text shadow and ofcourse sometimes the preview. Also I don't like the popup of effect windows etc over the UI, they always blocking some important parts. I would like more structured/fixed windows like in Resolve.

Last changed by 3POINT on 1/5/2023, 1:09 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

3POINT, Theo Houben, Vegasuser since version 5 and co-founder and moderator of the Dutch Vegasforum https://www.vegas-videoforum.nl/index.php

Recware: DJI Osmo Pocket/Mavic Mini, GoproHero7Black, PanasonicFZ300/HCX909.

Software: Vegaspro365+Vegasaur, PowerDirector365, Davinci Resolve 18

Hardware: i910900k, 32GB, GTX2080super, 2x1920x1200 display

Playware: Samsung Qled QE65Q6FN, Philips 55PFL7108

relaxvideo wrote on 1/5/2023, 1:40 AM

3D editing! Combining left-right files, realtime check on my lg 3d monitor, start more vegas instances when i need, super easy interface, scripting, customizable shortcut keys!

-MH- wrote on 1/5/2023, 2:55 AM

If I’m to share my good experiences with VEGAS Pro, I would say that VEGAS Pro, with it’s ease of editing, has allowed me to be as creative as I want to be. I came directly from Corel Video Studio X2 (12) and being able to easily keyframe animations, amongst many things, has been so great compared to CVSP 12 which really didn’t allow any key-framing, at least like VEGAS Pro has allowed. So that was a major selling point for me.

If you want to see some of my work just look at my sig for my YouTube channel and see a couple of. videos that had a decent amount of key-framing in them. It was quite fun and enjoyable to do. I also like that you can keyframe pretty much anything in VP and I like that a heck of a lot. I have tried DaVinci Resolve 18 (and some earlier versions) and, even though I have learnt more about it, especially how to keyframe, it’s still not as user-friendly as VEGAS Pro.

EDIT: As you might see in my signature, I edit in VEGAS Pro with two 4K LG monitors that I have colour calibrated and colour matched. I have different ways of using this setup and really do enjoy it quite a lot. I’ve used different resolution monitors in the past. So, having two monitors of the exact same resolution is great to work with when using VEGAS Pro.

Last changed by -MH- on 1/5/2023, 10:17 PM, changed a total of 8 times.

John 14:6 | Romans 10:9-10, 13, 10:17 | Ephesians 2:8-9

Changed my username from MH7 to just MH.

Aussie VEGAS Post 20 User As Of 9th February 2023 — Build 411 (Upgraded from VEGAS Pro 18)

VEGAS Pro Help: VEGAS Pro FAQs and TROUBLESHOOTING GUIDES

My YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@TechWiredGeek

Video Cameras: Sony FDR-AX700 and iPhone 12 Pro Max (iOS 17)

============================================

My New Productivity Workstation/Gaming PC 2024

CPU: AMD R7 7800X3D

Motherboard: ASRock X670E Steel Legend (AM5)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

Main SSD: Samsung 980 Pro 1 TB SSD
Storage SSD: Western Digital Black SN850X 2 TB SSD

GPU: Asus TUF GAMING OC Radeon RX 7800 XT (16 GB)

Main Monitor: LG 27UD88-W 4K IPS

Secondary Monitor: LG 27UL850 4K HDR IPS

Vincent-Brice wrote on 1/5/2023, 3:02 AM

@3POINT I have a separate monitor and have most things docked on it, although I don't actually have the pop up fx window docked as in the pictures, I don't mind that floating. The customisable layout is one of the things I love about Vegas.

Last changed by Vincent-Brice on 1/5/2023, 3:05 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Gigabyte AMD RX 6800XT, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz ("Ryzen tuned", whatever that is), 500GB Corsair Force MP600 Gen 4 M.2 C:drive for windows and programs, 500GB Samsung Sata SSD EVO D:drive for video files, 1TB Samsung Sata SSD EVO E:drive for all other data, Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 360 CPU cooler, Thermaltake Core P5 TG open case, Contour ShuttleXpress.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vegas 20 Build 403, AMD driver version 23.4.3

3POINT wrote on 1/5/2023, 3:43 AM

@Vincent-Brice I also have a dual monitor setup, but nevertheless I prefer docked windows instead of floating windows. The problem with docked windows in Vegas is that there seems to be a limitation in the amount of docked windows and also the customisable layout is not always recovered after a crash.

Vincent-Brice wrote on 1/5/2023, 5:57 AM

@3POINT Haha, maybe we both need a third screen. Like it seems you have, my right monitor doubles as my preview.

And you do save your customised layout so you can quickly restore it after a crash? That's the other thing I'm loving about Vegas 20, I'm not having any crashes, it's running beautifully 😊

Gigabyte Aorus Pro V2 motherboard, AMD Ryzen 9 5950X, Gigabyte AMD RX 6800XT, 64GB Corsair Vengeance 3600MHz ("Ryzen tuned", whatever that is), 500GB Corsair Force MP600 Gen 4 M.2 C:drive for windows and programs, 500GB Samsung Sata SSD EVO D:drive for video files, 1TB Samsung Sata SSD EVO E:drive for all other data, Creative Sound Blaster Z sound card, Gigabyte Aorus Waterforce 360 CPU cooler, Thermaltake Core P5 TG open case, Contour ShuttleXpress.

Windows 11 Pro 22H2, Vegas 20 Build 403, AMD driver version 23.4.3

3POINT wrote on 1/5/2023, 8:26 AM

I'm not having any crashes, it's running beautifully 😊

Knock knock on wood, at the moment I experience also no crashes.

Reyfox wrote on 1/5/2023, 9:44 AM

I've told this before. Started with a Humble Bundle VP14 Edit. I never considered Vegas because of the ugly, confusing looking UI. Nah.. stepped around it. But with the price of the HB, and using VP14 for a couple of weeks, it was a natural fit for me. Yes, there is a lot that is under the hood, a lot of different options/settings, but once I got comfortable with where and what things did, I was good to go. Upgraded to every version since VP14.

Oh, and it introduced me to the world of OFX plugins, and the greatest NLE'ing resource, this forum.

There have been some bumps in the road, but by the final build of each version, things were moving right along. I've used a lot of different editors over the years, but I keep coming back to Vegas.

I've even pointed others to Vegas and they've switched to it.

Perfect? No. But with the constant improvements, yeah, it's my "cup of tea" for sure.

bitman wrote on 1/5/2023, 9:45 AM

I started video editing way back with Corel Videostudio, which I used and supported for many versions, and at a certain moment in time I was experimenting to upgrade my skills with Cyberlink and Pinacle, but after a while I settled with Sony Vegas pro 12 and all the Vegas versions after 12, although I got cold feet after Sony stopped support as I thought Vegas was going to be a dead end. I was intrigued by Magix own product and switched to Magix Pro X after I found out Magix had obtained Vegas from Sony. But I came back to Vegas. I was considering to switch to Resolve, got the paid version, followed some courses and I do dabble with it from time to time, and keeping it up to date, but somehow I never seem to start a real project in Resolve.

In retrospect I seem to have settled with Vegas, if I need to start a project, I just click that Vegas icon on my desktop...

Last changed by bitman on 1/5/2023, 9:46 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

APPS: VIDEO: VP 365 (21 - build 315), VP 365 20, VP 19 post (latest build -651), (uninstalled VP 12,13,14,15,16 Suite,17, VP18 post), Vegasaur, a lot of NEWBLUE plugins, Mercalli 6.0, Respeedr, Vasco Da Gamma 16 HDpro XXL, Boris Continuum 2024, Davinci Resolve Studio 18, SOUND: RX 10 advanced Audio Editor, Sound Forge Pro 17, Spectral Layers Pro 10, Audacity, FOTO: Zoner, DXO, Luminar, Topaz...

• CPU: i9-13900K (upgraded my former CPU i9-12900K), Air Cooler: Noctua NH-D15s
  • RAM: DDR5 Corsair 64GB (5600-40 Vengeance)
  • Graphics card: ASUS GeForce RTX 3090 TUF OC GAMING (24GB) 
  • Monitor: LG 38 inch ultra-wide (21x9) - Resolution: 3840x1600
  • C-drive: Corsair MP600 PRO XT NVMe SSD 4TB (PCIe Gen. 4)
  • Video drives: Samsung NVMe SSD 2TB (980 pro and 970 EVO plus) each 2TB
  • Mass Data storage & Backup: WD gold 6TB + WD Yellow 4TB
  • MOBO: Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER
  • PSU: Corsair HX1500i, Case: Fractal Design Define 7 (PCGH edition)
  • Misc.: Logitech G915, Evoluent Vertical Mouse, shuttlePROv2

Reyfox wrote on 1/5/2023, 10:01 AM

I was considering to switch to Resolve, got the paid version, followed some courses and I do dabble with it from time to time, and keeping it up to date, but somehow I never seem to start a real project in Resolve.

In retrospect I seem to have settled with Vegas, if I need to start a project, I just click that Vegas icon on my desktop...

Same here. Wife gifted me Resolve Studio. I too dabble with it, but have yet to start a project with it. Also started with the Amiga/Toaster a/b roll editing. Then going NLE with DPS Editbay. I've had several editors over the years with Liquid being one I actually really liked a lot. Others were "place holders" until I got to Vegas. I still have a few editors on my computer, but they are there out of curiosity, like VPX.

Musicvid wrote on 1/5/2023, 10:10 AM

Resolve, with its micro-menus, is something I can work with about 10 minutes before vision fatigue sets in. It's a no-go for me, and many other amyopic editors, I suspect. Is that a word, @Grazie?

Hulk wrote on 1/5/2023, 12:12 PM

I started with Vegas Audio 2 way back. Started with Vegas Video on version 3 and was also using Ulead's MediaStudio Pro as well. Yes I know that is a name you have not heard in a long time. Being a musician I was using Vegas for multitrack audio a lot as much as for small audio/video consulting projects. When Presonus Studio One appeared a number of years ago I moved to that for multitrack audio but am still using Vegas Pro and enjoying the time spent with it.

As for stability I think it has definitely improved over the years as I can create longer more complex projects than in the past although I think part of that is due to SSD's and faster CPU's. For some reason a slower disk based system isn't as stable for me on the same version of Vegas with the same project.

Wiew wrote on 1/5/2023, 2:11 PM

I started with Pinnacle years ago, I think it was version 10 or so.

As Pinnacle grew, I grew with it.

And since version 17 I've been doing really crazy things in Pinnacle.
But at some point, a program simply can no longer offer you what you are trying to achieve.

My friend @Reyfox then introduced me to the Vegas world.

I downloaded the 18 demo version and I was sold. I bought 18 the same week and then 19 and now 20.

Together with the old Hitfilm, it is a perfect match for all my crazy ideas and the corporate movies I edit almost every day. So I hope Post can replace my old Hitfilm in the future (fingers crossed)

And over here 20 is running super stable, no problems

Marian-Pliundra wrote on 1/5/2023, 3:15 PM

Vegas pro 20, after tons of crushes and low rendering speed, finaly i find the correct settings.Input files from multiple camera (GH6 +GH5+CANON R7+CANON 1DXM2+CANON R5+DJI MINI 3 PRO) 4K 50P (almost all 422 10bits), 2 hours and 48 min video (wedding) estimated rendering time in about 2 hours and 30 min - 1080 50p.💯

set wrote on 1/5/2023, 4:09 PM

One of my opinion is doing 'vertical timeline' stacking so many videos feels much easier to do... you can do a lot of experiment.

Working in the VEGAS' timeline is unique...

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

amendegw wrote on 1/6/2023, 6:56 PM

My roots are in still photography but back in the 1990s I decided I wanted to shoot and distribute game videos of my son's soccer to the rest of his team. My first attempts at video editing were created by connecting two Hi-8 cassette decks (Sony EV-C100 & EV-S7000) and controlled the editing with Lanc connections between the two. I had a genlock card in my computer for titles. Horribly labor intensive and not very good quality. I saw an ad for a Canopus Firewire card that would allow me to perform non-linear editing AND it came bundled with Vegas Pro 4. What an improvement!

When the kids went off to college, I retired my video career and went back to still photography (mostly wildlife). But now that DSLR & Mirrorless still cameras have incredible video capabilities, I'm starting to make (short) videos again. I'm loving the way the new cameras can record in 120fps 4K for SloMo - great for my passion of wildlife. And, of course, Vegas Pro 20 handles them flawlessly.

Also, good to rekindle my friendship with @Musicvid, @NickHope and others from the "good old days"

...Jerry

System Model: Alienware Area-51m R2
System: Windows 11 Home
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700K CPU @ 3.80GHz, 3792 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Memory: 64.0 GB
Display Adapter: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 Super (8GB), Nvidia Studio Driver 527.56 Dec 2022)
Overclock Off

Display: 1920x1080 144 hertz
Storage (12TB Total):
OS Drive: PM981a NVMe SAMSUNG 2048GB
Data Drive1: Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB
Data Drive2: Samsung SSD 870 QVO 8TB

USB: Thunderbolt 3 (USB Type-C) port Supports USB 3.2 Gen 2, DisplayPort 1.2, Thunderbolt 3

Cameras:
Canon R5
Canon R3
Sony A9

Musicvid wrote on 1/6/2023, 7:30 PM

It never needed rekindling, @amendegw, I've followed your still photography career through your many awards, including National Geographic. You're still too modest, but the rest is working; just glad to see you back on the forum since we collaborated on research projects here over a decade ago.

Steve_Rhoden wrote on 1/7/2023, 4:05 AM

Started testing the waters with Premiere, Avid, then Ulead, but was never pleased for one reason or another. Then i stumbled upon Vegas Video 3. Tinkered around with it a bit and Professionally started using Sony Vegas 4, and never looked back or use anything else since then. No major issues whatsoever from then until this very day.

Was so pleased and satisfied with what Vegas was capable of, i immediately became active on many forums spreading the word and assisting others..... Now in the year 2023, and my perspectives on Vegas solidly remains the same!

pierre-k wrote on 1/7/2023, 4:12 AM

Intuitive speed of work. You don't need to study back books to make a basic cut.

It bothers me that in the latest versions Vegas hides all those awesome functions in the hamburger menu.

Reyfox wrote on 1/7/2023, 4:53 AM

With screen space limited on some laptops, I can see why. A couple clicks solves the issue for anyone to forever see them. No big deal. I like them.

jetdv wrote on 1/7/2023, 8:34 AM

I also started by purchasing Vegas Video 2 and really started using it heavily with Vegas Video 3. I came from Digital Origin EditDV but left it fully for Vegas Video 3 after it changed it's name to Cinestream and went through three owners within one year. But let's look at Vegas and get the ownership correct...

Sonic Foundry

• Vegas 1.0 (audio only) July - 1999
  • Vegas 2.0 (added video) June - 2000
  • Vegas 3.0 around December - 2001
  • Vegas 4.0 April - 2003 - This version added Scripting as a way to expand Vegas as the developers at that time thought this might be the last Vegas version.

Sony

• Purchased the product line in the summer of 2003 and did release a final version 4.0 with a name change from "Sonic Foundry" to "Sony".
  • Vegas 5 April - 2004 (NAB)
  • Vegas 6 April 2005 (NAB)
  • Vegas 7 September 2006 (IBC)
  • Vegas 8 September 2007 (IBC) This version added 64-bit support
  • Vegas 9 April 2009 (NAB)
  • Vegas 10 October 2010 (just after IBC) This version added OFX plugin support
  • Vegas 11 September 2011 (IBC)
  • Vegas 12 September 2012 (IBC)
  • Vegas 13 April 2014 (NAB)

Magix

• Purchased the product line in May of 2016 and did release one final version 13 with a name change from "Sony" to "Magix/Vegas Creative Software"
  • VEGAS Pro 14 September 2016
  • VEGAS Pro 15 August 2017
  • VEGAS Pro 16 August 2018
  • VEGAS Pro 17 August 2019
  • VEGAS Pro 18 August 2020
  • VEGAS Pro 19 August 2021
  • VEGAS Pro 20 August 2022

Howard-Vigorita wrote on 1/7/2023, 9:44 AM

Vegas 2 was the 1st Vegas I purchased. I had been a Sound Forge user since its day-1, but was not impressed with Vegas 1 which was it's 1st step into multi-track audio. At the time, and for the next 15 years or so, I did all my multi-track audio and midi work on Cakewalk and Sonar. In the 1990's I did a handful of video soundtracks, but only with a computer in conjunction with a vcr, manually keying audio record to a visual cue on the tape supplied by the client. Vegas 2 was my 1st shot at playing the video on the computer while recording audio and/or midi. And then being able to put it all together myself. Not long after that, Cakewalk also added video play ability but Vegas was always better and constantly improving. I still use Sonar for serious audio mastering work, which benefits from it's internal 64-bit storage and processing, but don't hesitate to do pcm audio completely in Vegas if it's strictly for video. I recently upgraded from Sony Sound Forge 7 to Magix Sound Forge Pro 16, which finally got 64-bit storage... if that passes though to Vegas, I may never have to use Sonar again.