Stereoscopic 3D editing tutorial and 3D Blu-ray burn

Jepp wrote on 9/20/2018, 4:06 AM

Hello,

I'm trying to find a good and valid tutorial on how to edit and create a 3D blu-ray discs from left and right videos.
As I understand it, the best quality comes from frame-packed top/bottom with a separator line in the middle, each screen 1920x1080/24fps (active 3D).
Preferably with a menu, though the menu doesn't have to be in 3D, but it would be a beautiful thing.
It should be able to play directly on a 3D blu-ray player and the TV should automaticly switch to the corresponding 3D mode.

Is this at all possible to do with Vegas Pro, also to do 3D blu-ray authoring?
Are there any limitation that need to be adressed by third party programs?

Also, is it possible to add support for passive 3D on the same 3D blu-ray?

So first of all I'm looking for a tutorial on this for Vegas Pro, but if someone can answer some of these questions here,
that would be very helpful!

All the best,
Jesper

Comments

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/20/2018, 3:37 PM

Yes, it is possible to edit 3D footage in Vegas. The footage has to be rendered with the Sony AVC/MVC-Encoder to mvc files, that can be imported in the Authoring Software DVDA. This Software can create 3D-BDs, also with menus but only with 2D menus.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems

Jepp wrote on 9/21/2018, 12:33 AM

Thanks for the reply!

DVDA, does that come with the Vegas Pro suit or does it need to be purchased somewhere else?

vkmast wrote on 9/21/2018, 1:05 AM

Vegas DVD Architect (also known as DVD A 7) comes with Vegas Pro Suite and Vegas Pro "standard/classic"", but not with Vegas Pro Edit. https://www.vegascreativesoftware.com/us/vegas-pro/product-comparison/#productMenu

Jepp wrote on 9/21/2018, 2:35 PM

Thanks! I appreciate the info!

GregFlowers wrote on 9/21/2018, 4:21 PM

So I've had no problems creating a side by side Blu Ray but I can't figure out how to make a Frame-Packed Blu Ray 3D. Do you have to set the properties in Vegas to Side by Side full or Top/Bottom full, render, and import into DVDA? I just can't seem to make a Frame-packed Blu Ray 3d work right.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/22/2018, 5:39 AM

As I said - you have to use the Sony AVC/MVC encoder! That delivers no sbs or tb footage but MVC files that can be used in the DVDA.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti (12 GB)* Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Resolve Studio 18 * Edius X* Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED * internal HDR preview * i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE * 32 GB Ram) * Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB * internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor * Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG-K 1600 nits, Atomos Sumo

Others: Edius NX (Canopus NX)-card in an old XP-System. Edius 4.6 and other systems