Trying to take pal movie and render to ntsc ?

blakeharris wrote on 4/6/2016, 2:44 PM
I am trying to take a movie that is in pal and change it to ntsc, but when I try to render my project the render fails. I am using ms 13 .My pc runs vista with I7 and 8 gigs ram with geforce gtx 950 video card.I know this is not a lot of info, but does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks,
BH

Comments

Former user wrote on 4/6/2016, 3:31 PM
Yeah, need more info. Whta format is your source file (codec, resolution, etc) and what format are you trying to render to (codec, resolution, etc)
UKharrie wrote on 4/6/2016, 7:57 PM
This "shouldn't" be a problem, although the Rendered Movie may not play perfectlly, depending on "how" you've done it . . . presumably you've remove any commands like "Match source media" as this will force the Render into PAL if it was recorded on a PAL Camcorder.

+You should include any "results" you've had - and confirm it works OK when Rendered as a PAL Movie ( ie the Software is performing Rendering to your chosen Target HDD ).

I would suspect this is a reasonably common requirement, esp for Tutorial and Promos . . . . and probably in the other direction too.
blakeharris wrote on 4/7/2016, 12:58 AM
In the project properties template field I had : custom ( 720 x 576,29.970 fps) NTSC . The media I am trying to change to NTSC (the event,which is currently PAL) is 720 x 576,25 fps Pal. I rendered in Main Concept Internet 720 p.I was given this video by a family member of a funeral of a family member and they cant watch it in a dvd player here in the states because it is in PAL , so I am trying to convert it for them to watch.
I originally had msp 13 match the media settings and then thought it would be best to change the project property setting to template: custom ( 720 x 576,29.970 fps) NTSC.
You asked what I am trying to render to:a NTSC dvd at the best resoluion .
On a sort of seperate question I assume there would be issues with taking a low resolution video file and try to render it as a higher resolution file?
Thanks for your help.
BH
EricLNZ wrote on 4/7/2016, 2:26 AM
You're mixing together PAL pixel sizes with NTSC framerate.

Personally I'd work in a 720x576 25fps PAL project then when you export use 720x480 NTSC 29.97 either if going to a mp4 file or disc.

Upscaling to 720 won't achieve anything.

Of course worldwide the other way around wouldn't be a problem. Outside of the US our DVD players have always been capable of playing both PAL or NTSC!
blakeharris wrote on 4/7/2016, 11:26 AM
EricLNZ,
So you are recommending to natch the media properties while editing then render it as 720 x 480 NTSC. Do you have a suggestion of what rendering template to use .Remember i want to render this open that rendered project in DVD Architect and burn a NTSC DVD.
I guess I am a little confused of why there are so many rendering templates.Well I know why I guess i need to figure out which one works best for me to burn disc of projects to dvd in Ntsc.
Thanks.
BH
Former user wrote on 4/7/2016, 11:47 AM
I am not Eric, but yes, use an NTSC DVD template. If your video is widescreen, use the widescreen template.
vkmast wrote on 4/7/2016, 12:16 PM
John Rofrano's post here might be worth a good read. Forget the part there about "File | Import", if you have files, not a DVD.
Remember to use one of the MC MPEG-2 DVD Architect NTSC templates and render video and audio separately.
Read here.

A Search PAL to NTSC on these forums would give you the option to go [I]deep[/i] with this...
blakeharris wrote on 4/7/2016, 5:39 PM
I followed John Rofrano's and others advise in this thread and i rendered two different ways.First I matched the media settings in the properties (Pal) and rendered mpeg 2 24 fps 740 x 480 ntsc,and seemed to work fine.Then i gave a second try and changed the media properties to ntsc 720 x 480 24 fps and rendered the same way as the first time,seemed the do just fine.I have not opened either yet in Dvd Architect because i noticed that both ways each version was 6.1 gigs but the original version (Pal)was only 4.4 gigs ,therefore the new version wont at this point fit on one dvd. The only thing I added to the project were markers hoping they would show up in Dvd Architech as chapter points.Does anyone know why the new versions got bigger than the original size of 4.4 gigs ?
blakeharris wrote on 4/7/2016, 5:41 PM
My bad DonaldT :)
vkmast wrote on 4/8/2016, 5:42 AM
>>>~why the new versions got bigger than the original size~<<<

File size = (Average) Bitrate x (Running) Time
That includes video, audio and overhead.

Use MediaInfo, Text View, to see data incl. bitrates from your source and rendered files. "Watch to opt out of additional software at install."

Your average bitrate must be such that your file will fit on your disc.
It can be customized by going to "Customize Template".
A "trivial formula" often quoted here: "Total bitrate (Mbps) = 600 / minutes. That's it. Then just subtract your audio bitrate (.2Mb/s for typical AC3), and you have your average video bitrate number." And here Formula for finding exact bit rate to Render.

Use a bitrate calculator e.g. Mark's DVD Bitrate Calculator. There are others.