VEGAS PRO 15 UI Concept Design

Comments

Musicvid wrote on 8/9/2017, 10:23 PM

And as you know, work with color correction more comfortable in a dark room.

This is a total fabrication. Without a stable neutral reference over time, the eyes drift.

Stay up all night in a dark room color correcting a favorite piece. After breakfast the next morning, it will be too red. Guaranteed.

Eh, Grazie?

jeffrey-g wrote on 8/24/2017, 10:17 AM

Looks nice but the change is superficial (not worth £500+ for the upgrade for a new UI colour scheme)... I would rather have better stability and faster rendering times please!

fifonik wrote on 4/27/2020, 11:11 PM

I do not like the design concept.

Well, at first glance the image looks nice and cool. However, we are talking about UI, not just image and there are many flaws in the design:

- No grid

- All numbers are too small and almost unreadable

- Many buttons that I use on regular basis are smaller than they are now (Fx and Pan/Crop for example)

- Markers are too small so it would be hard/impossible to read labels.

- Some elements where moved to absolutely strange place (current cursor time)

- Some icons were replaced with English letters (mute, solo). This will make life harder for new people and may not work for non English speakers

- Slim scrollbars will be harder to use

- Some functionality lost (audio sliders for example will not allow to adjust left/right channels separately as for now)

=> It would be harder for me to use program with such design.

There are some good things in the design that could save quite a lot of space that I like:

- Combining top and bottom buttons for preview windows (it might be some issues with this layout as for small screens all buttons/dropdowns cannot fit in one row)

- Slimmer sliders

- Many gaps removed

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

fifonik wrote on 4/30/2020, 6:26 AM

Sure

Build a system that even a fool can use, and only a fool will use it.

Camcorder: Panasonic X1500 + Panasonic X920 + GoPro Hero 11 Black

Desktop: MB: MSI B450M MORTAR TITANIUM, CPU: AMD Ryzen 5700X, RAM: G'Skill 16 GB DDR4@3200, Graphics card: MSI RX6600 8GB, SSD: Samsung 970 Evo+ 1TB (NVMe, OS), Samsung 870 Evo, HDD WD 4TB, HDD Toshiba 4TB, OS: Windows 10 Pro 22H2

NLE: Vegas Pro [Edit] 11, 12, 13, 15, 17, 18, 19

lan-mLMC wrote on 4/30/2020, 6:41 AM

Sure

Your logic seems to have some error. If a pro tool is so intuitive that even a fool have ability to master it, It means the pro tool is very intuitive and all kinds of people may become its users.

And the team will have most money and resource to upgrade the pro tool. It is good for the pro tool's development.

adimatis wrote on 4/30/2020, 12:39 PM

Sure

Wow, what a terrible statement! :)

It is only worth the funny wordsplay, but that's it! Funny!

walter-i. wrote on 4/30/2020, 2:32 PM

More modern UI will attract more new users. And VEGAS team will have more money to develop VEGAS Pro.

But this statement is just as bold.
Lately most of the new users (in this forum) have been characterized by the fact that Vegas is obviously far too easy to hack.
Keyword: "Sony" Vegas pro 14, 15, 16, 17.

lan-mLMC wrote on 4/30/2020, 3:51 PM

Keyword: "Sony" Vegas pro 14, 15, 16, 17.

Actually not only in this fourm, there are a tons of users (new and old users) call it Sony Vegas Pro 17 or SVP17 in facebook gruop or youtube. I don't know why, maybe it can satisfy their vanity.

adimatis wrote on 4/30/2020, 3:58 PM

Do the math:

Under Sony, Vegas went from unknown basically, to a well established editor, right across 9 versions (v4 to v13) in 10 years.

Under Magix, or more to the point as VEGAS, it only did 4 so far, in 3 years or so...

:) No vanity, but just a strong rooted, almost reflex-like way to articulate the words...

pierre-k wrote on 4/30/2020, 4:08 PM

It also bothers me that people don't even notice the introductory Magix logo and automatically call it Sony Vegas. It's a disrespect for the company that saved Vegas.

lan-mLMC wrote on 5/5/2020, 12:30 AM

It seems that glovercover (the super fan of VEGAS Pro who designed the Vegas 15 concept UI) has gone to Davinci Resolve.

@glovercover Do you?

Can you give us some advantages that you change to Resolve, as a suggestion.

glovercover wrote on 5/5/2020, 4:53 AM

It seems that glovercover (the super fan of VEGAS Pro who designed the Vegas 15 concept UI) has gone to Davinci Resolve.

@glovercover Do you?

Can you give us some advantages that you change to Resolve, as a suggestion.

Hi friend :) Yes, two years ago I switched to Davinci. It was a difficult decision, but it was worth it. After 15 years (or more) of using Vegas, it has already become a personal story and a big part of my life. The breakup was difficult, but it was necessary.

A few words about Vegas. The main complaint towards Vegas is slow development. In the days of Sonic Foundry, it was a young, fast-growing company. They made modern and innovative products. Therefore, 3 or 4 years after the release of the first version of Vegas, Sony Pictures Digital purchase all of Sonic Foundry’s desktop software products and related assets for $18 million. I would like to know what went wrong with Sony, but it is believed that they killed Vegas. Maybe Gary or one of the former employees will someday tell us. I think Gary really saved Vegas. It seems to me that Sony has already planned to curtail the development of Vegas and start a new project Catalys Productions Suite, which has a lot to do with Vegas, but the project seems to be frozen. (Maybe should start a new topic and discuss it. I have always been interested in the story behind the scenes)

Today, the VEGAS development team is more like a student company of friends working in father’s garage. They got a huge legacy and millions of lines of old code, which is very difficult to process and modernize.That is why Vegas is developing so slowly, while competitors are moving far ahead.

A few words about Davinci Resolve. Firstly, BlackMagic is a huge company. They pour millions of dollars into the development of Davinci. They are like Apple, they make a lot of hardware and software.They have many income items. Davinci Resolve - only a drop in the sea, but very noticeable.

And now the answer to your question :) The main points for me.
Davinci is super fast. If you have modern hardware, Davinci can reveal his potential. Most processes support GPU acceleration. GUI, Preview, Color Correction, Denoising, Image Stabilisation etc - all GPU asselerated. You can install the 2080Ti and it will be full loaded, when needed. If this is not enough for you, you can add another 2080Ti and get a 20-40% increase in performance. And yes, stabilization, noise reduction, lens correction and many many others - the part of the software and it works fine and fast (in paid Studio version). The most advanced color correction and grading system - no one can defeat Davinci at this point. Unlimited number of timelines (sequences) in the project. Nested Timelines and Nested Clips, Adjustment Clip (Layer). In fact, there are two editing programs in Davinci (cut page and edit page), it’s like Final Cut and iMovie in one place. The official guide contains 3335 pages, this is more than 4 volumes of the - "The War and Peace" of Lev Tolstoy (1274 pages) Just imagine how many there are :)

But I still love Vegas, and sometimes come back for specific tasks. I follow Vegas updates and enjoy watching Gary webinars on youtube.
I hope that Vegas will be able to survive and restore its former greatness.

NickHope wrote on 5/5/2020, 5:29 AM
...Today, the VEGAS development team is more like a student company of friends working in father’s garage...

@glovercover I don't think the VEGAS team are going to take very kindly to that! IMO it is rather unfair and disrespectful to them.

It's true that there was not a great deal new in VP15, but if you've been away for a couple of years then you may not have noticed that the pace of development has accelerated. The development team has expanded and there were actually quite a lot of new features in VP16/17 including weighty stuff like motion tracking and hardware decoding. Of course, there's still room for improvement.

lan-mLMC wrote on 5/5/2020, 5:43 AM

@glovercover Thanks for your explaination. It is attractive about you and Vegas Pro's story.

I firstly touch Vegas Pro in its 10 version.

At that time, Vegas Pro is regarded to exceed Premiere and to challenge After Effects around my country's industry, because of Vegas Pro's excellent editing and composite feature. I believe at first Sony want to make it the unique NLE+composite software. Howecer I don't know too why its development is so slow. And more and more NLEs are exceeding.

I have free version Davinci and Premiere's subscription and use them to finish some work, because more and more Vegas users who I know switch to other NLEs and I want to explore what's other NLEs' advantages.

I will still use Vegas to finish quite a few works for a period and will pay close attention to its development.

glovercover wrote on 5/5/2020, 12:04 PM
...Today, the VEGAS development team is more like a student company of friends working in father’s garage...

@glovercover I don't think the VEGAS team are going to take very kindly to that! IMO it is rather unfair and disrespectful to them.

It's true that there was not a great deal new in VP15, but if you've been away for a couple of years then you may not have noticed that the pace of development has accelerated. The development team has expanded and there were actually quite a lot of new features in VP16/17 including weighty stuff like motion tracking and hardware decoding. Of course, there's still room for improvement.

Come on Nick. There is no disrespect, or attempt to offend. This is how users see it, how I see it. Do not speak for the whole team. Everything started with a garage, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. I'm the first one who wants Vegas to be alright. I worry about this more than the rest.