About the future of MS

D7K wrote on 4/25/2016, 10:39 AM
Ok, I love this program. But I wonder if it and Vegas PRO are at End of Life. Cataylst Programs seems to be some kind of replacement for Vegas Pro and no NAB Sony Software announcement seems kind of strange to me. I can't believe that with camcorders and mirrorless cameras Sony won't have some type of consumer/pro-summer current product.

I'll use MS until I can't (don't want to relearn video editing on a new platform) but I'd like to see an update the the suite. H.265 for one thing and multi-camera for another. I might jump on a Vegas 14 if one is released.

Comments

Markk655 wrote on 4/25/2016, 11:03 AM
I'm really wondering about the end-of-life question as well...

Movie Studio still meets my needs, but with QT for Windows to be no longer supported, and new features being added elsewhere, one wonders if a change to an NLE that gets regularly updates might be in order.
Former user wrote on 4/25/2016, 11:39 AM
Regardless of what NLE you use, if you need QT files support, you will still need QT for Windows, even without Apple's support.
So I wouldn't consider that in my decision to move. And the majority of other options need QT.
musicvid10 wrote on 4/25/2016, 11:55 AM

Someone will buy SCS division. Someone with a name already worse than Vegas.

vkmast wrote on 4/25/2016, 12:23 PM
Not about the future of MS, but a fresh SCS KB article on
Apple QuickTime Support and Security Vulnerability.
Markk655 wrote on 4/25/2016, 7:46 PM
@musicvid - "Someone will buy SCS division. Someone with a name already worse than Vegas."

Is this a hunch or is there more to it?

@vkmast - Nice link re: Quicktime.
D7K wrote on 4/28/2016, 8:09 PM
Ok, so Catalyst is now subscription only. Well, if Sony follows the Adobe model the pro stuff is subscription and the consumer stuff is purchase. I wonder if they would put multicamera , real color grading tools and the ability to nest projects in a consumer tool.

So many of tools have migrated into the "studio" versions and for stuff like ACID the studio versions are the only thing current. If nothing happens this summer or fall - well I might start looking around MS is starting to look dated in the tools it has. IMHO that would be a shame because MS has been so good for so long. I guess on the consumer end Elements or Powerdirector are really the only other real choices. Vegas Edit (if Vegas is updated) might also be a choice -and almost all programs will have had to address the QT by the end of the year..

To keep current, I think the next 6 months will be the key for me - update to 14 if it comes out or choose something else. I just hope Sony does stay in the game because of all of the products that they produce with 4K video it would seem an updated NLE like MS is a great good synergy between products.
UKharrie wrote on 4/29/2016, 5:06 PM
Technically there are advantages with a subscription model . . . being able to fix bugs and update to the latest fad, being major advantages seen by the Marketing dept.
Also Software vendors hate the idea of folks stealing their software - although it happens, I don't think they realise folks that steal won't Buy. They will use another package that's free . . . . and that means there is a smaller user-base.
+With fewer folks using your software, there is a risk future purchasers will be buying a different "Popular" offering. And a smaller pool of subscribers spells the downfall of any product offered..... so no matter how good your product, the sales will decline.

Clearly the development of SMS is down to Sony Marketing - and that decision will affect how "we" react - I don't like the prices of other Subscription models so maybe I'll find an on-line Editor to do the work for me.

I like SMS, although there are several areas it could improve, esp for regularly-used items - it's time-consuming to have to set up the media-bins and preferences - no doubt there are ways to do this . . . so, why not tell us? Each time the Prog opens and these are not set . . . suggest how it's done?