Comments

NickHope wrote on 9/29/2016, 1:23 AM

The VisionColor LUT Plugin still works in VP14. I'm not sure if the installer will work if you don't have a previous version of Vegas Pro installed too. On my machine it just carried over to VP14. Note that the plugin is now hidden from their main site.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/29/2016, 6:15 AM

There is also the Hitfilm LUT plugin and the Looks3 plugin. Both show a better playback performance then eht Vision Colors Plugin, but do not come for free.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

HDR monitor: ProArt Monitor PA32 UCG, Atomos Sumo

NickHope wrote on 9/29/2016, 6:40 AM

Can someone please tell us if it's possible to install the VisionColor LUT plugin with VP14 if you haven't got a previous version installed?

Wolfgang S. wrote on 9/29/2016, 6:57 AM

Sure that is possible. The plugin works with VP14 and does not need any earlier versions.

Desktop: PC AMD 3960X, 24x3,8 Mhz * GTX 3080 Ti * Blackmagic Extreme 4K 12G * QNAP Max8 10 Gb Lan * Blackmagic Pocket 6K/6K Pro, EVA1, FS7

Laptop: ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (ProArt Studiobook 16 OLED (i9 12900H with i-GPU Iris XE, 32 GB Ram. Geforce RTX 3070 TI 8GB) with internal HDR preview on the laptop monitor. Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K mini

NickHope wrote on 9/29/2016, 7:15 AM

Sure that is possible. The plugin works with VP14 and does not need any earlier versions.

I know it works. I have it working here. But as it's advertised as a plugin developed for Sony Vegas, I wanted to check (before recommending it to people) that the installation won't fail if you attempt to install it without Sony Vegas, because it can't find Sony Vegas.

cinefilm wrote on 9/29/2016, 8:44 AM

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the vision color does not offer anything more than applying the LUT in 14. No mix slider or similar controls other than an interpolation type selection. Hoping magic bullet will be updated soon.

Also since their site is under construction, you can access the plugin here: http://visioncolor.cartloom.com/shop/category/4/plugins

cinefilm wrote on 9/30/2016, 6:01 PM

Yes if you shoot in Slog then you will need a LUT plugin such as the ones mentioned above or something like film convert where you choose the profile of your specific camera to apply a look

NickHope wrote on 9/30/2016, 9:26 PM

A LUT ("look up table") is a matrix of adjustments that can be applied to footage to give it speedy and consistent correction or "grade". You don't NEED a LUT plugin for log footage. You can just grade it how you wish, for example using the FX in VEGAS such as Color Curves etc., and you can of course save those adjustments as FX presets and VEGAS Filter Packages (FX chains) for future use. It might be useful to apply a LUT (e.g. a Log-to-Rec.709 LUT for a typical video look) to give you a reference point to aim for with your color correction/grading, and you could do that with the VisionColor plugin.

cinefilm wrote on 9/30/2016, 10:15 PM

And the vision color plugin uses LUTS for input for creative looks or as a reference to start with. Without the proper LUT there's nothing to refer to so in a way you do need one when shooting log.

Grazie wrote on 9/30/2016, 10:19 PM

Penny just dropped. Thanks cinefilm.

NickHope wrote on 9/30/2016, 10:20 PM

And the vision color plugin uses LUTS for input for creative looks or as a reference to start with. Without the proper LUT there's nothing to refer to so in a way you do need one when shooting log.

I'm saying you can apply a LUT with the VisionColor plugin as a reference if you like, then take it off again when you have achieved what you want with FX. Here's a Color Curves FX Preset I made myself for Panasonic V-log footage. No need for a LUT.

cinefilm wrote on 10/1/2016, 12:30 AM

There are no hard rules sir. You can do whatever you like to get the job done. If I shot on an Alexa, FS7 or with the mentioned Sony a99ii SLOG, I'd rather apply the correct LUT built specifically for the camera in order to neutralize colors before other plugins,  rather than mess around with several effects trying to get there, and I'd probably finish in half the time.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 10/1/2016, 1:40 AM

I have preordered a Sony a99ii which records S-Log2 & S-Log3 gamma which will always need grading. Does Vegas v14 have a plug-in suitable for that or is that why a LUT plug-in is needed? Any recommendations?

There are no hard rules sir. You can do whatever you like to get the job done. If I shot on an Alexa, FS7 or with the mentioned Sony a99ii SLOG, I'd rather apply the correct LUT built specifically for the camera in order to neutralize colors before other plugins,  rather than mess around with several effects trying to get there, and I'd probably finish in half the time.

Right, there are no hard rules. One does not need a LUT plugin at all and can develop the x-log footage also with filters like color curves, color correction or levels - or a combination.

However the advantage of LUTs is that you are much faster, and that the may work in a more precise way compared to a full manual approach. You can also use ACES in Vegas and there are some color corrections available within Vegas (but for example only slog2 but not slog3), but that was extended by Balzers also for example for v-log l of the GH4/DVX200.

The third approach would be to use tools like Resolve or Catalyst Prepare to make a grading of the footage, export that to formats like Cineform or XAVC I, import that in Vegas to finalize the editing. That has the advantage that you will not suffer in Vegas by lower playback performance, but has the disadvantage that it is a more time-consuming workflow.

Please be aware that x-log makes limited sense with 8bit, but more sense with 10bit or better.

megabit wrote on 10/3/2016, 2:49 AM

There is also the Hitfilm LUT plugin and the Looks3 plugin. Both show a better playback performance then eht Vision Colors Plugin, but do not come for free.

I tried to test both, as the (free) VisionColor LUT plugin is terribly slow. But when installing MB Looks (which works fine, though in demo mode only), I noticed the "LUT Buddy" as active, unlike the other components of the 3.1 suite. I have no idea how you use the LUT Buddy or where it's got installed on my system - anyone knows?

Piotr

AMD TR 2990WX CPU | MSI X399 CARBON AC | 64GB RAM@XMP2933  | 2x RTX 2080Ti GPU | 4x 3TB WD Black RAID0 media drive | 3x 1TB NVMe RAID0 cache drive | SSD SATA system drive | AX1600i PSU | Decklink 12G Extreme | Samsung UHD reference monitor (calibrated)

Red Prince wrote on 11/28/2016, 2:11 PM

Can someone please tell us if it's possible to install the VisionColor LUT plugin with VP14 if you haven't got a previous version installed?

While I cannot speak about the install (since I do have a previous version installed), I can tell you that neither the word Sony nor the word Vegas appears anywhere inside the plug-in itself, so it does not check whether it runs in Vegas, let alone Sony Vegas.

Therefore, at least in theory, it should work with any video editor that supports OFX plug-ins. Especially since it is installed in C:\Program Files\Common Files\OFX\Plugins, which is the default directory for 3rd-party OFX plug-ins and not any Vegas (or Sony)-specific directory.

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Kinvermark wrote on 11/28/2016, 2:32 PM

I installed the Visioncolor LUT plug-in, and it did seem to work with vegas 14, but was very very slow, so I uninstalled it.

An alterntive for cineform users is to apply your LUT in Gopro studio. Performance doesn't appear to be affected, but I haven't done any serious testing.

Wolfgang S. wrote on 11/29/2016, 10:58 AM

Performance of the previe is better if you uses Hitfilm but even Looks3, compared with the Visioncolor LUT plugin.

Red Prince wrote on 11/29/2016, 2:39 PM

Thanks for that. Unfortunately, the vision color does not offer anything more than applying the LUT in 14. No mix slider or similar controls other than an interpolation type selection.

True, but Vegas allows you to do your own mixing. Place the footage you want to apply the LUT to on a track of its own. Duplicate the track. Now you have two identical tracks. Apply the LUT to the original track (which should be right above the duplicate). Now mix the two tracks by lowering the oppacity of the original track.

And yes, that’s extra work, but if the VC LUT plug-in is the only way to apply a LUT, it works.

Adam

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

hambonio wrote on 10/13/2017, 10:03 AM

Is there an updated place to get the LUT plugin? The links listed above seem to point to a site that no longer exists.

vkmast wrote on 10/13/2017, 10:09 AM

A link here:

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/logarist-color-correction-for-vegas-pro--105118/#ca667501

set wrote on 10/13/2017, 10:40 PM

Vegas Pro 15 now has LUT plug-in by its' own.

Setiawan Kartawidjaja
Bandung, West Java, Indonesia (UTC+7 Time Area)

Personal FB | Personal IG | Personal YT Channel
Chungs Video FB | Chungs Video IG | Chungs Video YT Channel
Personal Portfolios YouTube Playlist
Pond5 page: My Stock Footage of Bandung city

System 5-2021:
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700 CPU @ 2.90GHz   2.90 GHz
Video Card1: Intel UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2127 (Feb 1 2024 Release date))
Video Card2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 Ti 8GB GDDR6 (Driver Version 551.23 Studio Driver (Jan 24 2024 Release Date))
RAM: 32.0 GB
Drive OS: SSD 240GB
Drive Working: NVMe 1TB
Drive Storage: 4TB+2TB

System 2-2018:
ASUS ROG Strix Hero II GL504GM Gaming Laptop
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 8750H CPU @2.20GHz 2.21 GHz
Video Card 1: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630 (Driver 31.0.101.2111)
Video Card 2: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB GDDR5 VRAM (Driver Version 537.58)
RAM: 16GB
Storage: M.2 NVMe PCIe 256GB SSD & 2.5" 5400rpm 1TB SSHD

* I don't work for VEGAS Creative Software Team. I'm just Voluntary Moderator in this forum.

michael-s5216 wrote on 4/11/2020, 7:34 PM

How do I backup my custom created LUTS? I built a new PC and I'd like to copy all my LUTS from the old PC to the new one. Thanks!