Dear God, "Why does each new version of Vegas screw up the Markers?"

i am erikd wrote on 9/13/2018, 7:30 AM

The trimmer image on the left shows a file with Region Markers that were created in Vegas 15.

The trimmer image on the right shows the exact same file with NONE of the Region Markers in the clip.

The Markers from version to version NEVER get the proper attention they deserve. They are crucial to how I get my work done and I'm sure to many other people as well.

Why oh why is each successive version of Vegas starting since version 10 a complete crap shoot regarding whether or not the Markers will work!!

Erik

Comments

VEGASPascal wrote on 9/13/2018, 9:25 AM

Thanks for your feedback. I created a bug report for us. Hopefully it is fixed with one of the next updates.

i am erikd wrote on 9/13/2018, 9:34 AM

"Hopefully it is fixed with one of the next updates."

yes, exactly! Otherwise my $249 is completely wasted.

VEGASPascal wrote on 9/14/2018, 5:03 AM

"Hopefully it is fixed with one of the next updates."

yes, exactly! Otherwise my $249 is completely wasted.

Latest news: This is no bug. The markers are saved with the media, not the project. So go to "Save As..." and use the checkbox "Save media with project" below.

i am erikd wrote on 9/14/2018, 6:56 AM

Uhh incorrect. To be clear this isn't about saving markers inside Vegas Pro 16! This is about embedded markers in a file that were created in Vegas Pro 15 for example. They show up in 15 just fine. You bring the exact same file into the trimmer into Vegas Pro 16 and it does not see the embedded markers. It has nothing to do with the "Save media with project" option you are describing.

This is a bug.

VEGASDerek wrote on 9/14/2018, 8:36 AM

Hello Erikd...

I think we might need a sample of the media that you are trying to do this with. We are not reproducing the problem you are seeing. Also note that not all media is capable of saving this metadata.

i am erikd wrote on 9/14/2018, 9:05 AM

Derek,

Thank you but I don't know how to say this any clearer but I will try again. My problem IS NOT trying embed region markers in a clip in Vegas Pro 16.

My problem is that a clip THAT ALREADY HAS SUCCESSFULLY EMBEDDED region markers in it WILL NOT show them in Vegas Pro 16.

The clip that already has the embedded region markers in it was done in Vegas Pro 15. That's right, in Vegas Pro 15 I brought in a clip and embedded region markers in it SUCCESSFULLY.

Now, I just want to bring the clip that already has embedded region markers in it, into Vegas Pro 16 and see the embedded markers that should be there.

So this ISN'T about a problem saving embedded markers in Vegas Pro 16. This is about a problem of SEEING ALREADY EMBEDDED markers in a clip in Vegas Pro 16.

I hope that helps. Thanks.

NickHope wrote on 9/14/2018, 9:58 AM

@i am erikd While you have the attention of 2 Magix developers, I think it would be a smart move to share a sample file that demonstrates the issue you are describing.

Adi-W wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:28 AM

I can reproduce the problem here between v14 and v16 as I don't have V15. I don't think a sample file is necessary to reproduce the problem as it concern (if I did understand well erikd explanation) marker and zone added and saved in the trimmer window. So, V16 will not read this information from a file where the marker and zone were added and saved in V14 Trimmer window.

i am erikd wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:32 AM

Thanks so much JWE. You understand the problem exactly.

Adi-W wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:40 AM

Yes, but your explanations were not so clear at first and I had to guess what you meant 😉.

vkmast wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:45 AM

i am erikd wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:55 AM

Thank you. Yours is a .mts file. Mine is a mp4. Specifically, a Vegas encoded Sony AVC mp4. Apologies, i am typing on my phone and not at my work computer. It is already the weekend where i am.

NickHope wrote on 9/14/2018, 10:05 PM

This issue appears to depend on whether the markers are stored within the file itself, or in a sidecar sfl file. There is a thread here discussing this existing issue in relation to XAVC-S files, and I will add Sony AVC to it, and the pinned Known Issues post.

VP13 and VP14 save markers/regions for XAVC-S and Sony AVC into the file itself. Those "internal" markers/regions in XAVC-S files then only show up in VP12 or earlier. Those "internal" markers/regions in Sony AVC files only show up in VP14 or earlier.

VP15 and VP16 by default save markers/regions for XAVC-S and Sony AVC into a "sidecar" sfl file. Those "external" markers/regions only show up in VP13 or later (XAVC-S) or VP15 or later (Sony AVC).

However if so4compoundplug is disabled in VP15 or later, those versions will still markers/regions for Sony AVC (but not XAVC-S) into the file itself, and will also display them.

So I guess @i am erikd's file either had its regions saved in a version prior to VP15, or the *.mp4.sfl sidecar file (containing the region definitions) is not sitting in the same folder as the mp4 file.

i am erikd wrote on 9/14/2018, 11:33 PM

Nick hi and thank you for your efforts.

I can rule out that the embedded markers were created in a version prior to V15. 100% chance they were created in V15.

NickHope wrote on 9/15/2018, 1:36 AM

Well, if I save regions to a Sony AVC MP4 file in the Trimmer in VP15 build 387, they show up with the file in VP16 build 261.

Make sure View > Event Media Markers > Show Markers is checked.

Assuming that doesn't fix it, please share an exact step-by-step workflow including your version numbers of VP15 & 16, and whether you have So4compoundplug enabled or disabled (although I don't think that makes a difference).

i am erikd wrote on 9/15/2018, 3:00 AM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1fI1mrLHTsZfu6pfIFuvLFnC6owXxRczN

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qJRIc4peCWYodRC9kousEVOHroqLX7cT

Nick, I covered your questions in the desktop video recording demonstrations except for the the So4 enabled or disabled which I don't know how to check or what it's purpose is.

I have also added a link for those that want to download the small 11mb file I demonstrated with the "test" region marker showing up in Vegas 15 but not Vegas 16.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1sW9BpiFmdJy91z5Vqg68V-wJya3aN4AT

i am erikd wrote on 9/15/2018, 1:06 PM

Sorry Nick, I forgot to include my build numbers of Vegas.

Vegas Pro 15 Build 321

Vegas Pro 16 Build 261

vkmast wrote on 9/15/2018, 1:17 PM

The last Vegas Pro 15 builds.

NickHope wrote on 9/16/2018, 12:53 AM

So I wrote a lengthy reply to this, and the forum software decided to repost my previous comment instead. Serves me right for not copying text to clipboard before clicking "COMMENT".

So, again, in brief....

Disable so4compoundplug.dll, which doesn't support reading or writing of markers/regions internally in Sony AVC files as metadata. I guess you must already have done this in VP15 and forgotten you did so.

Former user wrote on 9/16/2018, 12:55 AM

This may not help but, I downloaded the sample clip and the Region Markers show up in Version 12 in both preview and on the timeline.

NickHope wrote on 9/16/2018, 1:02 AM

This may not help but, I downloaded the sample clip and the Region Markers show up in Version 12 in both preview and on the timeline.

They'll show up in any version as long as compoundplug.dll decodes them. i.e. Not in VP15 or 16 by default.

XAVC-S behaves differently, which makes this issue really difficult to define.

i am erikd wrote on 9/16/2018, 4:12 AM

Nick you are the dude. I disabled So4compound and poof the markers DO show up in Vegas Pro 16.

That's great!! So, what if any do I lose by disabling this compound?

Really nice to have an opportunity to stick my toe in the water now with Vegas Pro 16. Can't thank ALL who got involved to help!!

Erik

Grazie wrote on 9/16/2018, 4:27 AM

So, what if any do I lose by disabling this compound?

@VEGASDerek : This is a fine question indeed.

NickHope wrote on 9/16/2018, 5:00 AM

From my pinned post about so4compoundplug.dll:

The benefits of this new decoder include:

• Decodes Panasonic GH5 10-bit 422 AVC footage
  • Decodes JVC YUV 4:2:2 AVC footage
  • Decodes iPhone/iPad AVC footage (without requiring Quicktime)
  • (I guess) Scope for improved performance???

However it's rather disappointing that it still doesn't have the stability/performance/functionality of its predecessor (compoundplug.dll) for some formats that it reads by default, and I must admit I'm getting rather tired of telling people to disable it (or blacklist formats from being decoded by it). The reasons for it are a bit of a mystery really. Maybe there is more to it than we know.