Magix - Sampleitude Pro X3 Suite - any good?

Chanimal wrote on 11/16/2018, 7:00 AM

I am seeing offers for Samplitude Pro X3 Suite for massive discounts. I have Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge, etc. (since 2002). I don't know anything about this software or if I would need it, but the deal is too big not to consider it.

Any experience and feedback on the software? How would it be used vs my existing applications?

Thanks - Ted

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 11/16/2018, 7:08 AM

What a great question. I'd really like to hear any opinions as well.

I also note that the offer is for SpectraLayers 4 + Samplitude. Is there a SpectraLayers 4? The latest version from MAGIX is SpectraLayers 5, and the previous version was SpectraLayers 3 when it was a Sony product.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

john-brown wrote on 11/16/2018, 8:00 AM

@Chanimal

Hi,

Where are you seeing these offers?

Samplitude Pro X3 is a fully-blown DAW and one of the best on the market. I suggest that you go through the Features on the Magix.com site:

https://www.magix.com/ca/music/samplitude/music-recording/#c710675

Do you produce music? Score videos in a big way? Use VST instruments? Suite comes with 70GB of instruments (Independence). Look at all of what comes with the Suite - Cleaning & Restoration tools, etc. The other things, like SoundForge and ACID are thrown in as Magix likely doesn't really expect Sam users to buy them (or even hear of them), but hopes that some users will jump on the upgrade wagon if they get a full version. Some users bought a second version of Suite at 150$ just to get Spectralayers.

There is a dedicated forum for Samplitude/Sequoia at:

https://support2.magix.com/boards/Samplitude/

You have to join to be able to read any threads.

Kraznet has done a couple of hundred tutorials on Samplitude, available on YT.

X4 is coming out in December, so one can expect to see some deals on X3. I'll probably just stick with X3 Suite as it is already far more than I need. I went from X2 to X3 Suite because the upgrade offer for X2 to X3 was the same as X2 to X3 Suite. In fact, that was also the price for a new purchase, as Magix went after the Sonar market.

Sam integrates with Magix Video Pro X, I don't know about Vegas 16 and I haven't tried it in Vegas 14. Samplitude can export directly to VPX. VPX can export to EDL to be opened in Sam. VPX can also use Sam as the External Audio Editor for cleaning and restoration, and mastering. Sam and VPX can also be put in Master/Slave (and vice versa) using LoopBe1 for scoring, overdubbing, and editing both the video and the music.

Vegas Pro 18 Edit, Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum, Magix Video Pro X16, Magix Movie Studio Platinum 2024, Xara Designer Pro X19, Samplitude Pro X8 Suite, Music Maker 2024 with Premium 2023, SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4, Sound Forge Pro 16 and more.

vkmast wrote on 11/16/2018, 8:39 AM

And of course these are the Audio forums on magix.info

Chanimal wrote on 11/16/2018, 9:06 AM

Sure - this is an audio topic (for the audio forum--but most of the folks I interactive with are here), but we all do some audio for Vegas mixing (and we still have audio (including sound sources and hardware) discussions here.

The email deal I saw lists over $1,300 worth of software at 80% off for $150. Sounds like a pre-Black Friday kind of deal--if any good.

On a practical basis, how would this be used? For the music tracks? For creating the audio portion for a music videos? Sweetening the audio for a video? If I don't compose, would I use this?

(I buy way too much software that I don't always use (a software junky)).

Last changed by Chanimal on 11/16/2018, 9:08 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

Windows 11 Pro, i9 (10850k - 20 logical cores), Corsair water-cooled, MSI Gaming Plus motherboard, 64 GB Corsair RAM, 4 Samsung Pro SSD drives (1 GB, 2 GB, 2 GB and 4 GB), AMD video Radeo RX 580, 4 Dell HD monitors.Canon 80d DSL camera with Rhode mic, Zoom H4 mic. Vegas Pro 21 Edit (user since Vegas 2.0), Camtasia (latest), JumpBacks, etc.

john-brown wrote on 11/16/2018, 11:16 AM

@Chanimal

Did you look on the Magix website to see what Sam does? Also check out Spectralayers and SoundForge.

Here is a tutorial that I did a few years ago about using MusicMaker with Movie Edit Pro. It's the same principal, but using Samplitude and Vegas.

To answer your question, yes, for music tracks, creating the audio portion for a music video, for sweetening the audio for a video. I would add in cleaning and restoring the audio recorded with a video.

Example, I filmed my late mother singing at a party. The piano player couldn't pick up the song. My mother was pretty much on key, but the timing was out and a couple of bars were missing between verses, that kind of thing. Using Samplitude, I played the piano part, cleaned up the voice, cleaned up the audio, got rid of some background noises, did some chopping and stretching/shrinking, modified a few of the voice notes where they were off key, fixed up the timing, and replaced the original in the video with the modified version.

In case you are not aware, Magix also sells Soundpools that can be used in Samplitude, just like in MusicMaker. So, you can use this to create some background music and sound rather than using a song.

Vegas Pro 18 Edit, Vegas Movie Studio 16 Platinum, Magix Video Pro X16, Magix Movie Studio Platinum 2024, Xara Designer Pro X19, Samplitude Pro X8 Suite, Music Maker 2024 with Premium 2023, SF Audio Cleaning Lab 4, Sound Forge Pro 16 and more.

Chanimal wrote on 11/16/2018, 11:30 AM

I purchased the promotion ($149) (Sampletude Pro X3 Suite, plus Sound Forge 11 (I stopped upgrading at 9), plus SpectralLayers Pro 4 . Thanks for everyone's comments.

Last changed by Chanimal on 11/16/2018, 11:32 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Ted Finch
Chanimal.com

NickHope wrote on 11/16/2018, 9:45 PM

Which email address did the email come from?

Please share the offer URL for those of us who can't receive Magix marketing emails.

Dexcon wrote on 11/16/2018, 10:17 PM

The email I received re the offer links to this MAGIX URL:

https://www.magix.com/index.php?id=22969&L=52&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=2018_46_SPsut_music_CRG_USA&utm_content=20181125123456&utm_term=_71799&phash=XJIvFuhw56r9p2f8&m_i=uxOFfkkOghtvMGO2eyXA%2BqilEnKOv50MmaDU0FgyMN4WIKKmHlmhUv8boJwxQrPDGcjmG_0XtMfyo9vbvKp3Y_Xl8cUnYQ

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

zdogg wrote on 11/16/2018, 11:27 PM

I am a Samp user (Don't say Sam user, or I'll get upset...) for many years. It is a terrific program. It does anything you'd want it too, so deep and exhaustive.

Samp goes all the way back to 1992 with a version for the Amiga Computer. It was the first owned by Hohner Midia and then Sek'd- German companies, Sek'd produced some of the early digital audio PC cards and Samplitude was sold or included in tandem with those cards as I recall, circa mid-late 90s. Eventually it was bought by Magix.

It's hallmark is its clarity of sound, and object level editing. It was used to record the Vienna Symphonic Library. Bob Ohlsson, one of the original engineers at Motown, loves Samplitude.. He gives a good tip hear, (I'm going to use this one!!)

Anyway, I supplied a bit of a time capsule below. The Program was ahead of its time, it predates Logic and Cubase and is really a very deep, very pro ProTools like application, but for native processing where PT used dedicated proprietary software. (Many like it much better) that, like Protools, later added midi. (Opposite of Logic and Cubase - also German co.'s, btw - which started as MIDI programs and added audio later. Does it make a difference??? Yes, very much so.

Samplitude's high end version, Sequoia, was a $3000 dollar app - which was exactly the same with only added a few extra features and was found prominently in radio stations and mastering studios.

Samplitude was always priced at about $700 and was worth every penny, only in the recent times, last five years or so, with the demise of the legit studio business and the rise of programs like Reaper did the demand go down and they had to adjust to the marketplace. Samplitude had a very early subscription service.

Mix Magazine Time Capsule: https://www.mixonline.com/technology/sekd-samplitude-2496-v-557-multitrack-audio-midi-and-cd-mastering-desktop-369981

zdogg wrote on 11/16/2018, 11:45 PM

On a practical basis, how would this be used? For the music tracks? For creating the audio portion for a music videos? Sweetening the audio for a video? If I don't compose, would I use this?

(I buy way too much software that I don't always use (a software junky)).

Since you don't compose, use it for recording anything, mixing anything, adding effects (the included fx are great) sound design, audio repair, enhancement, ( you can remove specific sounds, like a cough, while retaining the rest of the sound) surround mixing, changing bit rates, Hz rates, tempo adjustment, audio format exchange, converting MIDI to audio and audio to MIDI, musical scoring, and a few other things I just haven't remembered>

The BEST THING for you is probably you can utilize it as a 3rd party audio editor within Vegas, you only have to set that up in the preferred audio editor in the Vegas preferences, and the round trip is seemless, very well integrated where you don't have to do much, just select your audio file that you'd want to manipulate, right clk on that and select open in audio editor. (Or hit Control E).

You can open at least one video track in Samplitude as a reference track. You probably can mix that with audio as well but I don't use it for anything but a reference.

Dexcon wrote on 11/17/2018, 6:06 AM

I also got this offer which includes an upgrade to Samplitude Pro X4 Suite:

https://www.magix.com/index.php?id=23218&L=52&utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=mail&utm_campaign=2018_46_SPsut_splay_CRG_USA&utm_content=20181125123456&utm_term=_66898&phash=sgCJBzYFETYMo4ue&m_i=xugQSyublPucDYdLmAzxX4cxS9PJYCPihHDVvWb5f%2BZWbH2kkvebVgP_BxxMD66BRuJxgRRFqGFkGHNd3AEn35nHptqZC1

I assume you need to have a previous version of SpectraLayers because it seems like that is the reason that I got this offer.

I'm not sure about this because I bought SL15 earlier this year. Do I really need 2 licenses to it? But getting Samplitude might make it worth it. I'll have to think it through.

BTW - SL5 is a significant advance on SL3 (for my purposes anyway) - SL4 I assume is a rebranding of SCS's SL3 into MAGIX.

Last changed by Dexcon on 11/17/2018, 6:22 AM, changed a total of 1 times.

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

john-brown wrote on 11/17/2018, 10:58 AM

Here is the inverse - Samplitude Pro X3 Suite with free upgrade to X4, and includes SpectraLayers 5:

https://www.magix.com/index.php?id=24739&L=52&AffiliateID=55&phash=FL4Wje1syXqv4BCf&utm_source=MAGIX-PAP&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=Affiliate_MAGIX-PAP&a_aid=597f8f4c294c3

carl-borsing wrote on 11/21/2018, 11:16 AM

I am seeing offers for Samplitude Pro X3 Suite for massive discounts. I have Vegas, Acid, Sound Forge, etc. (since 2002). I don't know anything about this software or if I would need it, but the deal is too big not to consider it.

Any experience and feedback on the software? How would it be used vs my existing applications?

Thanks - Ted

carl-borsing wrote on 11/21/2018, 11:29 AM

I purchased a Second V X3 to get the X4 Version for Free.. I love working with Samplitude Pro X3 SUITE, hopefully X4 will Improve the already excellent performance. Over all THE most comprehensive DAW in the known Universe I'm afraid..

I had to purchase all new Studio equipment after our house / Studio burnt completely. However to make a LONG story short (someday I'll Introduce my new Studio on my YouTube Channel) After upgrading to WIN 10 1809, everything came together performance wise. I'm using Three or more Virtual Desktops in combination with Hibernate on my ROG ZENITH ETREME / RYZEN THREADRIPPER 1950X Based system and can run 3D, Small Video Projects in either Vegas 13 or current Version of Davinci Resolve 15.2, Browse the WEB with FireFox, Check Emails with ThunderBird, etc.. All whilst playing projects in SAMPLITUDE without as much as a click or any kind of artifact.. I'm very happy. My current system even out performs my "old" Dual XEON CPU HP Z640, mostly thank to my upgraded GPU.. :)

Hardware: Windows 10 Pro x64-based PC AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1950X 16-Core Processor 64GB RAM (4 X 16 GB out of 8 for 128GB upgrade) 3400 Mhz, 16 Core(s), 32 Logical Processor(s) 1X SAMSUNG 970 PRO 2TB M.2 / 2X 1TB M.2 / 3X 2TB 860EVO, 2X WD Gold 12TB and 1X 6TB WD Gold Realtek High Definition 5.1/7.1 Audio (Sony DOLBY / NETFLIX Compatible etc..) Behringer FCA610 WDM (I/O 8, 1/4 connections Out, 4X 1/4 IN where Two are balanced 48V Phantom's. I use it for Samplitude PRO X3 and Vegas Pro 13) BlackMagic Intensy PRO 4K Video/Audio FADERPORT 16 Production Controller Speakers: EDIFIER GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti / Intencity PRO 4K (used with VIZIO 55" / Davinci Resolve Studio) SAMSUNG SUW 49" (3840 x 1080), HP 24W (1920 x 1080), VIZIO M-SERIES 55" / 75" Displays / Monitors (UHD 3840 x 2160) Brother MFC-L2700DW series Laser, Fax, Copy Tablet: BT IntuosPro M, Corsair K70 LUX RGB Gaming Keyboard Corsair M65 PRO RGB Gaming Mouse (Thumb switch for increased Control / resolution) Speakers EDIFIER S1000DB (X2), R1280DB (X4), R1280T (X2, THEATERSOLUTIONS 15" SUB (X1) Some of the Main Softwares I own/use: Davinci Resolve Studio 15.1 / HITFILM / VEGAS PRO 13 SUITE , SAMPLITUDE PRO X3 SUITE, NI Komplete Control S61 MK2 / ULTIMATE 11 PaintShopPro and various other COREL Softwares..B (X1)

Red Prince wrote on 11/25/2018, 3:25 PM

Well, I ordered it, paid for it, and when I entered the serial number for Spectral Layers and told it to activate, it just sits there telling me to please wait. That’s just pathetic, as I don’t have all day. And there seems to be no way of escaping from it, either. Gee thanks, Magix! 😡

He who knows does not speak; he who speaks does not know.
                    — Lao Tze in Tao Te Ching

Can you imagine the silence if everyone only said what he knows?
                    — Karel Čapek (The guy who gave us the word “robot” in R.U.R.)

Red Prince wrote on 11/25/2018, 4:04 PM

Oh, boy, there’s more! I had to register offline (and waste a lot of time). Then I wanted to check what all my registrations are, and it turns out Magix uses some weird non-standard javascript, so I was unable to scroll down the long page, and was forced to switch to Microsoft Explorer, a product I avoid like a plague because of all the security issues connected with it.

Shame on you, Magix, for not supporting standard web browsers!

Will-Kenworthy wrote on 11/26/2018, 7:09 PM

You have a download problem, then can't open a web page and so you blame Magix???

Obviously something was interfering with your download but I seriously doubt it was Magix that was responsible. If I'm wrong then other's should be chiming in soon ....

I have no problem accessing my product page @ Magix with Firefox or Chrome (depending on which computer I'm on) and Microsoft Explorer isn't a browser. I'm assuming you meant Internet Explorer or perhaps MS Edge? True I avoid them for the same reason but have never needed to use them to access any web page anywhere. Have downloaded many times from the product page. The worst problem I had was getting an outdated Vegas version which I quickly resolved from this forum.

What weird non-standard java script did you run into? I've never had a script window open or needed a script (Java or otherwise) on any of Magix's sites. Main, Vegas, or forum.

Maybe it's time to kick back and have a beer or three? Yes? Think about things for a minute .......

Will

PS: I want to thank you all for the links to Magix Samplitude offers. They've been extended to Dec 2 which will mean that I will be able to take advantage of them. Samplitude Suite plus Spectral layers, Independence sampler with 70GB library, SF pro 11 too!! I'm going to really enjoy this!!!

And I promise not to blame Magix the next time something unrelated goes wrong .... LOL ....

Red Prince wrote on 11/26/2018, 10:08 PM

It can open the web page. But the page is a javascript instead of HTML. I cannot scroll down the page, so yes, I blame Magix. I have been computing since 1965 (not a typo), I can diagnose the cause of the problem.

You see, you do not even know that Magix uses javascript for its pages, and you are lecturing me. LOL.