Comments

Grazie wrote on 1/30/2014, 8:56 AM
Put DVD into drive, and in VP use the import DVD.

G

Dan Sherman wrote on 1/30/2014, 9:01 AM
Other files in this compilation are mp4.
So there should be no issue in rendering the finished project out to mp4 with no loss in quality?
vkmast wrote on 1/30/2014, 9:04 AM
Search also "Gary James method" on this forum
importing unprotected dvd into new project
rs170a wrote on 1/30/2014, 9:15 AM
You've converting from one lossy format to another so there will be a loss but keep the bitrate high enough and it won't be too bad. Do a quick test and find out for yourself.

Mike
Dan Sherman wrote on 1/30/2014, 9:26 AM
Doing a test is often the last thing that springs to mind.
I'll give that a shot.
Chienworks wrote on 1/30/2014, 10:11 AM
Assuming the disc is readable by Windows (not encrypted or otherwise protected), i still prefer simply copying the VOB files over to hard drive and then concatenating them into one file, and renaming it .mpg. This avoids the lost audio glitches that ImportCamcorderDVD suffers, and it's WAY faster.
musicvid10 wrote on 1/30/2014, 10:13 AM
Open the disc in Handbrake, and encode using the "Normal" preset.
DVD to MP4 is what Handbrake is designed for.
Dan Sherman wrote on 2/5/2014, 10:26 PM
The source for several of these films is YouTube, I'm sorry to have to have to disclose.
Is there any possible way after assembling this project into a compilation of clips for a kind of mini film festival that that these files canl look sharp on a big screen?
Or am I asking too much?

If not them I suppose I should get each production company to send the project rendered to mpg4 or DVDs.
That would be some undertaking.
Any way, we are of course using this material with permission for a conference on caring for older adults,....like me!
Thanks for caring?

Dan
Dan Sherman wrote on 2/6/2014, 9:22 AM
Thanks Musicvid10.
I'm using Handbrake for the DVDs at least.
It's been kicking around for years and always a puzzle to me.
Thanks to a YouTube tutorial by a guy named Hawkins the mystery has melted away.
Great tool, Handbrake.
Just not overly intuitive IMHO.
Thanks again for the suggestion.

Now how to make the YouTube downloads sparkle on the conference room screen.
An impossible task maybe, even for the files that looks crisp on a small screen.

Dan
johnmeyer wrote on 2/6/2014, 11:03 AM
The source for several of these films is YouTubeThen why are they MPEG-2?? I download, for my own enjoyment (not for any commercial purpose) from YouTube all the time, using KeepVid or some similar method (there are browser plugins). The best format to save is MP4. You should be able to cut that using any number of MP4 cutters, and end up with something that has 100% of the quality of the original.

So, I think you need to re-think your workflow.
Dan Sherman wrote on 2/7/2014, 9:01 AM
Been using Savedeo to download from YouTube John.
Of course these files are MP4.
This as good as KeepVid you think?

When you say MP4 "cutter" are referreing to an NLE like Vegas Pro?

The issue here is likely that the quality of some of these YouTube files is not good at the source, that the original uploaded video is of poor quality.
Can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear I suppose.

Thanks,

Dan