Comments

vkmast wrote on 8/5/2020, 4:14 AM

DVD Architect 7 has been dropped from VEGAS Pro 18 classic and Suite. Instead you get Sound Forge Pro 14.

https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/no-longer-supported--122756/#ca764144

Steve Grisetti wrote on 8/5/2020, 7:31 AM

I am so sorry to hear this, vk. It's really the last of the great DVD authoring programs. Nothing else I know of compares. 😢

VEGASDerek wrote on 8/5/2020, 12:29 PM

Overall, demand for DVD Architect has diminished significantly. It was no longer a compelling add-on to VEGAS Pro or VEGAS Pro Suite. We will still sell it, but you will need to contact us directly for that. We believe that the bundling of Sound Forge Pro, which, unlike DVD Architect, is in continued active development provides users with a better value.

trevorjharris wrote on 8/6/2020, 5:43 AM

This might prove a big mistake by magix. The big advantage of Vegas Pro was its 3D support with mvc encoder. DVD Architect is the best cheap DVD authoring available specialy with 3D support. Davinci Resolve is a much cheaper video editor and supports 3D. I was hopeing Magix would develop DVDA in particular to produce a 64 bit version.

john-baker wrote on 8/6/2020, 10:52 AM

@VEGASDerek

Hi

I have to agree with @trevorjharris, regarding DVDA.

There is very little push to promote this product which is the only one I know of that has so many features and versatility for authoring discs. There is no prominent mention of the product at all in advertising or on the Magix website - if you do not know where to look it is difficult to find.

Coming from the Magix product side, ex Vegas user from a couple of decades ago, Video Pro X and MovIe Edit Pro though having disc authoring built in, are not versatile enough for some users and I have been pushing DVDA to those who want more features.

John EB

Lateral thinking can get things done!

VP 19, DVD Architect 7 build 100, Video Pro X 15, Movie Studio 2024,

Running Windows 11 64bit on Intel i7-8700K 3.2 GHz, 16Gb RAM, 1Tb + 2 x 2Tb internal HDD + 4 Tb internal SSD (work disc), Sony FDR-AX53 Video camera, Osmo Action 3 and Sony HDR-AS30V Sports cams.

EricLNZ wrote on 8/6/2020, 6:56 PM

I agree. Whilst I didn't expect any further development of DVDA just burying it does seem rather negative. Disc burning isn't completely dead yet.

VEGASDerek wrote on 8/7/2020, 7:14 AM

Thank you for the feedback in regards to DVD Architect. The reality is, we have only spent a small amount of time on it over the span of 4 years, fixing only a few bugs. We understand that people are indeed still using it, and the copy you have will continue to work. What we have come to realize is that the people who want to use it already own it and a very large number of people who are new to our products do not see DVD Architect has a compelling reason to purchase VEGAS Pro or VEGAS Pro Suite instead of VEGAS Pro Edit (which did not contain DVD Architect). It was also somewhat silly that we continued to offer the exact same version of DVD Architect year after year as part of those software bundles.

We have had some people requesting new features, especially for format support and UHD disc burning, for DVD Architect along with a conversion to 64 bit. Any of that work would have been quite substantial to do and would have required about a years with a team equivalent to the size of the current VEGAS team to accomplish. Diverting resources from VEGAS to DVD Architect would have severely harmed development efforts on VEGAS Pro and VEGAS Movie Studio. The payback would simply not be enough to justify doing the work.

SOUND FORGE was a logical alternative since it already has a history with VEGAS Pro. Also, it is in active development so we will be able to offer a new version with each release of VEGAS Pro.

Shadow wrote on 8/7/2020, 6:35 PM

So I guess the subtitle bug which has not been fixed since the Sony days will not be fixed anymore?

vkmast wrote on 8/7/2020, 6:39 PM

@Shadow https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/support--122901/#ca765408

Shadow wrote on 8/7/2020, 6:50 PM

@vkmast This was a rethorical question as it is kind of a running joke that this has never been fixed, even though it was in the bug tracker for years and Magix still advertised the subtitle capabilities until the last breath of DVDA... ;-)

denverdisc.com wrote on 9/30/2020, 1:02 PM

I activated Vegas Pro on a new computer but there is no download link for DVD Architect. How can I get it? Do I have to pay for it again? Thanks but I don't NEED Soundforge, can I trade it in for DVDA?

vkmast wrote on 9/30/2020, 2:56 PM

See https://www.vegascreativesoftware.info/us/forum/faq-where-can-i-download-vegas-pro-and-other-vegas-software--104782/ sections 3 and 4. Also section 6 for VEGAS DVD Architect (or section 7 for the last Sony DVD A Pros). You do not need to buy it again (by contacting Magix Sales) if you have the serial number. Section 9 here should apply to DVD A as well.

@denverdisc.com

denverdisc.com wrote on 9/30/2020, 3:21 PM

Simple answer https://dl03.vegascreativesoftware.com/vegasdvdarchitect.exe

Thank you @vkmast there is no "installation program" link for DVD Architect item on the Service Center>My Products page; but I was able to directly download it here with your help.

denverdisc.com wrote on 10/7/2020, 3:05 PM

It was also somewhat silly that we continued to offer the exact same version of DVD Architect year after year as part of those software bundles. @VEGASDerek

Why not just include DVDA as a radio button on the install? A User who isn't interested can de-select: done. Its only 4.5Mb file. I'd say burying the DVDA body in Magix backyard is a bit more silly considering "globally, increasing demand for archival solutions and positive outlook for the media and entertainment industry are expected to create a significant demand for recordable optical discs in the near future. Increasing popularity of next generation optical disc for recording HD broadcasting, growing demand for content protection and widening application areas also act as factors supporting market growth." Market Watch: Global Recordable Optical Disc Market on a Steady Growth Trail; FMI Provides Projections in Light of COVID-19 Pandemic in its New Revised Report Sept 30, 2020

denverdisc.com wrote on 10/8/2020, 2:20 PM

I will have to start researching Chinese alternatives then as they eclipse Western companies in this area too. "DVD Fab" offers many excellent products I use in my daily business. They aren't as sophisticated in disc Authoring now but development is on-going.

I ditched Premiere for Vegas thinking the Germans had it on the ball. But wait, who is this 'Capiton' private equity takeover in 2018? No doubt richly rewarding themselves for leveraging you into bankruptcy.

VEGASDerek wrote on 10/9/2020, 6:55 AM

The optical disc quote is being severely misinterpreted by you here. This is referring to optical discs as a storage medium for archiving, which is very different than disc authoring for distribution which is what DVD Architect provides.

Terry-Littlewood wrote on 1/10/2021, 4:43 PM

Overall, demand for DVD Architect has diminished significantly. It was no longer a compelling add-on to VEGAS Pro or VEGAS Pro Suite. We will still sell it, but you will need to contact us directly for that. We believe that the bundling of Sound Forge Pro, which, unlike DVD Architect, is in continued active development provides users with a better value.

You state that you will still sell it. How/where can be activate or register our trial versions?

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/11/2021, 9:01 AM

@Terry-Littlewood: That was true back in August, but it is no longer the case. We do not sell DVD Architect anymore and are unable to due to 3rd party licensing issues.

brian-kolbasky wrote on 1/11/2021, 6:31 PM

Will there be any updates at all?

Steve Grisetti wrote on 1/12/2021, 6:54 AM

Pretty definitely not.

VEGASDerek wrote on 1/12/2021, 8:50 AM

Will there be any updates at all?

Very unlikely.

Film_Digital wrote on 1/21/2021, 2:34 PM

I too am disappointed with the decision re DvD Architect; however, $ governs so companies do what they must. Two observations however: 1) it seems there may be a number of products that have "3rd party licensing issues". At least Magix is upfront whereas Adobe has the unmitigated gall to basically tell the user community to continue to use CS6 at their own risk (due to 3rd party.....). 2) An alternative may be TMPGEnc Authoring Works. Pegasys is clearly very active in continuing to develop the product and I will be laying out the $ for it by skipping Vegas 18 update for users do what they must.

Film_Digital wrote on 1/30/2021, 3:23 PM

@Cleven-Brown I agree. Media is dead; long live media! The current version is indeed worthless; it's 32 bit and inconsistent in operation (at least for me). Also, the notion that SoundForge is an "acceptable" replacement due to higher demand is, unfortunately, not a good choice: I already own SoundForge and thus gain nothing new. I would guess that a number of Vegas Magix customers also have it; I could be wrong and it's a great offering. Unfortunately, it also appears that, beneath the surface, SOMEbody is upping the ante on licensing charges.