Comments

Steve Grisetti wrote on 4/30/2013, 7:21 AM
AVCHD is a high-definition format. You can save it to a DVD, but this DVD will only play on BluRay disc players and a DVD can only hold about 20-30 minutes of video. Is this what you're trying to do?

Otherwise, DVD is a standard definition format. You can fit about 70 minutes of full-quality standard definition video on a DVD disc. You may be able to squeeze a bit more on at reduced quality -- or, if your hardware supports it, you can add about twice that much on a dual-layer disc. But. again, it will be standard definition, not high-def or AVCHD.

Which are you trying to do?
musicvid10 wrote on 4/30/2013, 8:44 AM
Using an average bitrate of about 4000 Kbps, one can fit two hours of material on a standard DVD. Viewing quality will not be stellar, but usable.
TroyTheTech wrote on 4/30/2013, 8:58 AM
I think he means he's wanting to render out to fit a BD5 (BlurRay on 5GB DVD/ManufacturedDisc).

Aleks, unless you use something that can "automagically" fit the movie you are making into a certain file size (by indicating the final file size output), you would have to calculate it manually and plug that into Vegas

Let's see.. 2 hours into 4300MB means
4300 / 120 minutes = 35.8 MB per minute
60 seconds in one minute means 35.8 MB per minute = 0.597 MB per second
8 bits in one Byte means 0.597 MB = 4.77Mb per second
which in kilobits is 4770kbps
which seems about right..
assuming a 192k audio stream that leaves 4578kbps

So, you just have to plug in say 4550k
into your Bitrate when customizing the template and render it out to BluRay format (with a 192kbps audio stream) and then write that to your DVD in BluRay format (you will only be able to view it in BluRay players)

I would recommend an MPEG-4 (to be able to use Deblocking) at that bitrate, if you wanted it to look better of course.. Good luck with it!

vkmast wrote on 4/30/2013, 10:48 AM
>>>write that to your DVD in BluRay format<<<
Remember that the current DVD A Studio and Pro burn Blu-ray content to Blu-ray media only, so you need an early build of AS 5.0 or AP 5.2 (or other software) for that.
TroyTheTech wrote on 4/30/2013, 11:03 AM
@vkmast
Thanks for that addition!
I use Nero Suite for all my actual writing-to-disc finalizations, I did not know that, that's too bad.
Aleksandar wrote on 5/2/2013, 7:43 AM
Listen guys, to all of u, umm, i need to render into mpeg2, so it oculd fit on dvd, and so it could be playable on all home dvd players.

i have sony handycam HDR-AX2000E i am recording for living birthdays, weddings, things like that. Customers have dvd players, not Bluray.

i get AVCHD 1440*720 and need to put it on dvd, exactly 2 hours on each dvd. i usualy have 16 hrs material.

What should be min and max bitrate ??

And does anyone have a better idea how to render this material on dvd ?? Because i dont want to rerender on DVD architect pro again, because its not good.
Aleksandar wrote on 5/2/2013, 7:57 AM
I want to fit 2hrs of avchd on dvd 4300mb.
musicvid10 wrote on 5/2/2013, 8:22 AM
I said 4000Kbps avg. will work, with a little to spare.

Here's a starting point for your MPEG-2 DVD Architect video template in Vegas:
2Mbps Min.
4Mbps Avg.
9.5Mbps Max

Next time, a bitrate calculator will do the math for you.
http://www.videohelp.com/calc.htm
Aleksandar wrote on 5/2/2013, 8:26 AM
Bitrate calculator gives me 4886k bit rate, and it was tooo much...
musicvid10 wrote on 5/2/2013, 8:33 AM
I've been using that one for ten years for commercial work, and its never given me "too much".
There are others out there.

If what you're trying to say is that DVD Architect is giving a message, ignore the message and Prepare (not burn) your DVD Folder anyway. The estimate is overly conservative.
Best.
Aleksandar wrote on 5/2/2013, 8:53 AM
I am saying bitcalculator, gave me bitrate, it was too big, i mean, with those 4681 k/bits i got 5 gb. witch cant fit on dvd. DVD architect studio was giving me message about size, so i started using dvd architect pro, and message was gone.. (message about, my rendered video is too large for dvd)
vkmast wrote on 5/2/2013, 9:06 AM
Aleksandar,
you say you are using mpeg2 (program stream pal widescreen) to put material on DVD . Use DVD Architect compliant templates (MC mpeg-2 PAL/NTSC ws/video and audio AC-3) like advised above and here
https://www.custcenter.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1105/
musicvid10 wrote on 5/2/2013, 10:13 AM
"

Alexsander, I gave you the correct answer regarding your question about the file size message in my previous post. That's all I can do, unfortunately.

TroyTheTech wrote on 5/5/2013, 3:15 PM
@Alex

I suggest doing your editing in Vegas, but rendering out to a high-quality, high-bitrate MPEG-2 file.
Then, take that file and put it in DVD Architect or some other DVD-preparation program and compile it out to a Folder/Directory.
Then, take that folder and compress it to fit onto a DVD (so you will have no problems messing around with bitrates, etc) with some sort of DVD fit/shrink/resize/recompress application, so that it fits perfectly onto one DVD disc. Then you will have your Master, ready to go and built to the proper size.
Good luck with it!
vkmast wrote on 5/6/2013, 7:58 AM
Aleksandar,
IF you don't mind recompressing your footage and don't want to "mess around with bitrates, etc", you don't need an external "some sort of DVD fit/shrink/resize/recompress application, so that it fits perfectly onto one DVD disc."
You can use "Fit to Disc" in your DVD A Studio
How Do I: Making clips too large for DVD fit onto the DVD
Chienworks wrote on 5/6/2013, 8:20 AM
For standard DVDs, the simple formula 600 / minutes has never gone wrong for me. I always end up with a disc between 98.5 and 99.5% full.

600 / 120 minutes = 5Mbps average bit rate.

Personally i never go over 8.5Mbps max because some players will stutter, and i never go below 1.5Mbps minimum because you can get lots of banding and blockiness.