Selecting and lifting audio in Vegas 21

Webster-Struthers wrote on 2/1/2024, 6:46 AM

How do I select a portion of an audio track and lift it off of the timeline without moving the rest of the audio ? I do not want to remove the portion before the cursor, or after the cursor. I want the area of the track which I highlight only, without moving the rest of the track. I am having trouble even highlighting the portion of the track I want. I believe I used to use the normal edit tool, select shift or control, drag the cursor to select highlight of the audio, then hit delete. This does not work any more, apparently. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Ya'll have certainly helped me resurrect the software from version 6 to 21. Thanks.

Comments

Dexcon wrote on 2/1/2024, 6:55 AM

Use 'S' (spilt) at the 'in' point of the highlighted area of the audio (or video) event and then 'S' at the highlighted 'out' point of the area of the event that you want to delete - and then delete the middle section. This is what I've done for years with Vegas Pro 10 +.

Cameras: Sony FDR-AX100E; GoPro Hero 11 Black Creator Edition

Installed: Vegas Pro 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 & 21, HitFilm Pro 2021.3, DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.5, BCC 2023.5, Mocha Pro 2023, Ignite Pro, NBFX TotalFX 7, Neat NR, DVD Architect 6.0, MAGIX Travel Maps, Sound Forge Pro 16, SpectraLayers Pro 11, iZotope RX10 Advanced and many other iZ plugins, Vegasaur 4.0

Windows 11

Dell Alienware Aurora 11

10th Gen Intel i9 10900KF - 10 cores (20 threads) - 3.7 to 5.3 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB GDDR6 - liquid cooled

64GB RAM - Dual Channel HyperX FURY DDR4 XMP at 3200MHz

C drive: 2TB Samsung 990 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD

D: drive: 4TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD (used for media for editing current projects)

E: drive: 2TB Samsung 870 SATA SSD

F: drive: 6TB WD 7200 rpm Black HDD 3.5"

Dell Ultrasharp 32" 4K Color Calibrated Monitor

Webster-Struthers wrote on 2/1/2024, 9:16 AM

Indeed, the split command works. Thank you! I just wish there was a less destructive way yo set ins and outs to highlight a particular area. Anyone have any other suggestions? I cannot get the split to disappear from the timeline. What if I just wanted to highlight an area, then copy it?

jetdv wrote on 2/1/2024, 9:35 AM

If you want to take a piece of a full event, you have to split out the piece you want/don't want. I'm not sure how you would do it otherwise.

You could make sub-clips of pieces of the full file.

Webster-Struthers wrote on 2/1/2024, 9:59 AM

What if I just want to select a portion on the timeline with an in and out, so I could copy it?

jetdv wrote on 2/1/2024, 10:39 AM

To copy something, you'll either need to split it and copy that split portion or create a subclip from the selected area.

Perhaps we're not understanding exactly what you're wanting to do?

rraud wrote on 2/1/2024, 10:40 AM

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Hi @Webster-Struthers, Highlight the region you wish to extract, Engage the Solo button in the track header for the audio track that has the audio event, Go to 'File> Render as' and choose your desired audio format and folder destination, In 'Render options' select "Render loop region only"; Execute 'Render' and disengage the Solo button after the render has completed.

Webster-Struthers wrote on 2/1/2024, 1:56 PM

I cannot even highlight a portion of the audio track. This is audio only. Let's suppose I want to highlight part of an audio track so I cam delete it or copy it, without affecting the rest of the track. I used to be able to drag the cursor by holding down the shift key to highlight a portion of the track. I cannot even do that now. I cannot use the normal edit tool to select a portion of the track. I think I'm losing my mind.

mark-y wrote on 2/1/2024, 1:59 PM

I just wish there was a less destructive way to set ins and outs to highlight a particular area.

• If the lingering split events are what is bothersome, there is a really simple way to do this without using the heal events command.
  1. Highlight the audio event.
  2. Select the area you wish to copy.
  3. Click+Drag the event to its new track.
  • Press CTRL+T to trim the copied event to the selection area.
Webster-Struthers wrote on 2/2/2024, 8:35 AM

Thank you guys, one and all! mark-y was able to cut through the fog of my brain with the video. I was trying to select a portion by dragging the cursor inside the track, not above it. You would think after mixing 5 records(back in the day) that would have stuck with me! Dang! Ya'll are the best online editing community out there. Thanks again.

mark-y wrote on 2/2/2024, 8:58 AM

I'm pleased that my solution was one that worked for you, and welcome to the discussions.

vkmast wrote on 2/2/2024, 9:04 AM

besides @mark-y, all, please note the compliment. Pizza coupons ain't nothing compared to this!😋

Carl-G wrote on 2/18/2024, 11:04 PM

Mark, I DO appreciate your vid. Thanks!

May I suggest (don't know where is best).... It would be nice if VP programmers would allow a simpler drag(select),Control C, and then Control V to Paste (the selected only) elsewhere. That would be far less cumbersome in an complicated/crowded timeline situation.

mark-y wrote on 2/19/2024, 8:37 PM

Unfortunately, that would be difficult, @Carl-G 

Selecting a portion of an event and defining event boundaries are miles apart logistically.

Another approach, one that was developed in response to that hurdle is by using track envelopes, and you will want to explore that method also as you refine your editing technique.

DMT3 wrote on 2/19/2024, 9:16 PM

@Webster-Struthers

If I highlight an area, click right in the area and select COPY, I can then paste that area someplace else. Is this what you want? No need to split, or CTRL move.

Carl-G wrote on 2/20/2024, 2:21 AM

@Webster-Struthers

If I highlight an area, click right in the area and select COPY, I can then paste that area someplace else. Is this what you want? No need to split, or CTRL move.

Exactly what I was meaning/(trying to suggest a new 'feature')! Thanks! (Hope helps Webster-Struthers too)