Sony Going Downhill!!!

aboammar wrote on 3/16/2016, 6:04 AM
I think it is a matter of time to when Sony Creative Software will bankrupt!!!

They are producing such software such as Catalyst Prepare where it supposed to complement Sony Vegas Pro, yet Catalyst Prepare output DNxHD codec in MXF which Vegas Pro can not read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either add DNxHD MXF support to Vegas Pro, or add DNxHD MOV support to Prepare .. but NON!!!!!

I need my workflow to be based on DNxHD in MOV so that I can edit in Vegas Pro, color correct in Resolve, and final touching and rendering in Vegas again .. but Sony, as usual dose not care!!

Even Sony's support in Sony Community and here is totally useless!! They just reply to you with boring canned , and useless replies .. what a shame! Support used to be one of the best, and now it is the worst ever!!

Even their support for cameras is useless .. see this post as an example:
http://community.sony.com/t5/Alpha-SLT-DSLR-Cameras/Sony-A7s-II-Recording-FullHD-at-100mbps/m-p/560554#M7985

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

Display: 23.6" UHD 4K

CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5  quad-core @ 3.60GHz, 8MB cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

GPU: nVidia Quadro M2000M 4GB

RAM: 32GB DDR4 2133MHz ECC memory

System Drive: 1TB M.2 (2500MB/s)

Working Drive: 1TB M.2 (2500MB/s)

Storage Drive: 3GB SSD (500MB/s)

Video: Vegas Pro 16 Suite / DaVinci Resolve 16 Studio

Audio: PreSonus Studio One Pro 5

Graphics: CorelDraw Technical Suite 2020 / Xara Designer Pro X365

Image Editing: Corel PhotoPaint 2020 / Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate / PHASEONE Capture One Pro 11

3D Graphics: Maxon Cinema 4D Studio 10

Camera: Sony A7S II / A7 III

Vimeo: vimeo.com/innoviahouse

Comments

DGates wrote on 3/16/2016, 8:06 AM
I never trust whiners you use tons of exclamation points!!!!!!!!!! And please tell me that English is not your first language. If it is, I think we know what the problem is here. If I was Sony support, I wouldn't feel obliged to respond to you either.
aboammar wrote on 3/16/2016, 10:53 AM
Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am not in the mode for another useless, and worthless reply from someone who is not in my shoe, and diffidently dose not understand my pain!!!

Either you help, and make your words count, or you just shut up! It is that simple, unless of course you are paid to defend Sony blindly, and in this case I can not blame such people!!!

I don't expect from Sony to reply, as they do not reply anyway, and when they do reply, it will be a canned reply, as unseal...

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

CPU: Xeon E3-1270 v5  quad-core @ 3.60GHz, 8MB cache, up to 4GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology

Image Editing: Corel PhotoPaint 2020 / Corel PaintShop Pro X9 Ultimate / PHASEONE Capture One Pro 11

vkmast wrote on 3/16/2016, 11:43 AM
"Subject: RE: You Can NOT Test Catalyst Edit!"

So they do reply? Uncanny?:)
Steve Grisetti wrote on 3/16/2016, 11:47 AM
What kind of help do you want? You haven't posted a question.
riredale wrote on 3/16/2016, 2:56 PM
Over the line, pal. Gently suggest you dial it down. The folks here are great but they don't respond well to anger.
John_Cline wrote on 3/16/2016, 3:33 PM
Nothing to see here folks, move along.
FPP wrote on 3/16/2016, 5:45 PM
@aboammar
Community Forums such as this one are intended to provide a virtual knowledge platform to explore the full spectrum of experiences of software and hardware applications from actual users.. Because of the sheer amount of opinions and methods on how to be productive, most people find their own "middle ground" and are able to make things work out for their own professional needs derived from real events.
If you ask a question or need some walk thru kinda of help, you will almost certainly find it in this forum...
All you have to do is figure out what reply you get works for you.

JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/16/2016, 10:09 PM
> "They are producing such software such as Catalyst Prepare where it supposed to complement Sony Vegas Pro, yet Catalyst Prepare output DNxHD codec in MXF which Vegas Pro can not read!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Either add DNxHD MXF support to Vegas Pro, or add DNxHD MOV support to Prepare .. but NON!!!!!"

Catalyst Prepare is not just for Vegas Pro editors. In fact, that is probably the least of it's target market. It is squarely aimed at Avid Media Composer, Apple Final Cut Pro, and Adobe Premiere Pro editors using the latest 4K formats. That's one of the reasons it also runs on a Mac where Vegas Pro doesn't even exist.

Why are you creating Avid DNxHD MXF files? That's a proprietary Avid format that works with Media Composer and Avid Symphony and not much else. Unless you plan to edit in Avid Media Composer, you should not be creating DNxHD MXF files. While I realize that DaVinci Resolve can handle these, once again, DaVinci does this for compatibility with Avid Media Composer just like Catalyst does. BTW, you can't even edit these files with Final Cut Pro on a Mac without re-wrapping them as DNxHD MOV files. If you are using Vegas Pro you DO NOT not want to create Avid DNxHD MXF files with Catalyst. They are intended for Avid editors.

> "I need my workflow to be based on DNxHD in MOV so that I can edit in Vegas Pro, color correct in Resolve, and final touching and rendering in Vegas again .. but Sony, as usual dose not care!!"

Why do you need Avid DNxHD MOV? That's an Apple QuickTime format. If you are using a PC, you really should be using PC native formats like CineForm AVI files.

Perhaps if you explained what you need and why you need it, someone here could suggest a workflow that works for you instead of using trial and error (which, as you have seen, is very frustrating).

~jr
subchaz wrote on 3/20/2016, 9:10 AM
I can understand the problem here,i use various blackmagic cameras and shuttles,in my work flow,
this has made Vegas almost redundent simply because it does not handle DNXHD MXF,
and while using P,Cs to edit this is the main format which gets given to me,

its really a shame because the speed which i can work within Vegas is lost as im having to shift over to Prem Pro to do cuts,

also the detail within these large formats is amazing,while in color correction its pretty much a open book to play in,

so yeah i can feel that pain
astar wrote on 3/20/2016, 2:44 PM
Camera -> resolve -> sony hdcam.mxf -> sony vegas to edit.

Your problem is that your worflow is is flawed. If you want to work with sony vegas, work with sony codecs. Just like apple, and Avid expect you to do.
aboammar wrote on 3/26/2016, 3:15 PM
Thanks for your reply JohnnyRoy.

I do not wish to create DNxHD in MXF format because I already know that Vegas Pro dose not support it. I want to work with DNxHD in MOV format because both Vegas Pro and Resolve support and work very well with that format. The playback of that format in Vegas Pro and Resolve is extremely smooth, and that is why I need to work with that format.

It seems that you missed the point of this thread because even what you suggested of using PC native formats like CineForm AVI files dose not apply because Prepare dose not support this format as well!

What I need is very simple .. I just need an effective, and efficient workflow where:
1. Start Editing in Vegas Pro (Offline Editing)
2. From Vegas Pro, Export XML file to grade in Resolve (Export without Rendering from Vegas Pro)
3. From Resolve, Import the XML file, Grade, and output for online editing in Vegas Pro.

So, what is the best and most efficient workflow?

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

Former user wrote on 3/26/2016, 3:33 PM
Where does Catalyst Prepare fall in your workflow? Can Vegas edit your native camera files?
aboammar wrote on 3/27/2016, 9:01 AM
Prepare "supposed" to be the first step in the workflow where I select the best shoots, chose the ins and outs, do first pass color correction, and then transcode the trimmed files into a format that works well and very efficiently in Vegas Pro and in Resolve.

So far it seems to me that I wasted my money on Prepare as I can not yet figure out how utilize it in the workflow!

Both Vegas Pro, and Resolve do support the native camera format, and even though Vegas Pro handle the camera file reasonably, it is not the case with Resolve. From many trials and errors, and looking online for best codec, I found that Vegas Pro and Resolve handle DNxHD codec in QuickTime wrapper very beautifully, and very efficiently, that is why I am looking for a way to use that format in my workflow.

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

aboammar wrote on 3/27/2016, 9:08 AM
astar .. the workflow you suggest seems like a time consuming process!

You are suggesting to replace Prepare with Resolve, and that is not a quick workflow!

I have to do many lengthy steps in Resolve to output the intermediate video files! Also rendering from Resolve is kind of slow!

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

JohnnyRoy wrote on 3/27/2016, 10:01 AM
> "What I need is very simple .. I just need an effective, and efficient workflow where:"
> "1. Start Editing in Vegas Pro (Offline Editing)"
> "2. From Vegas Pro, Export XML file to grade in Resolve (Export without Rendering from Vegas Pro)"
> "3. From Resolve, Import the XML file, Grade, and output for online editing in Vegas Pro."

OK, so you want a Vegas Pro / DaVinci Resolve "round-trip" workflow?

So... here are a few suggestions:

(1) If you really want help with your workflow, start a thread with a title like, "Vegas Pro DaVinci Resolve Roundtrip Workflow" instead of "Sony Going Downhill!!!" and you might get more helpful answers. At least people who use Resolve might look at it.

(2) I would also highly recommend that you Google: "vegas pro davinci resolve roundtrip workflow" and watch some of the YouTube videos where people will show you exactly how they are round-tripping with AAF files, Sony MXF files, MOV files, and all sorts of methods from Vegas Pro to Resolve and back.

I understand your frustration with Catalyst Prepare because it really has no place in this workflow. Prepare is fine for preparing files for editing in Vegas Pro. Your workflow introduces Resolve and there really isn't a good common format that Prepare supports except on a Mac where everyone uses ProRes and doesn't have any of these problems. So one solution is to buy Mac. ;-)

~jr
aboammar wrote on 3/28/2016, 4:06 AM
Hi JohnnyRoy

So basically what you are telling me is I shouldn't use Catalyst Prepare in my workflow even though Sony mentioned in the advertisements and introduction of the Catalyst Prepare that it is suitable for Vegas Pro and Resolve workflow!! Then how? How to take advantage of the nice preparation features in Catalyst Prepare for Vegas Pro and Resolve workflow?

This means that I just wasted my money on Catalyst Prepare! I only bought it for this purpose and based on the "misleading" information by Sony! All they could have done to solve this major problem and make Catalyst Prepare a truly useful prepare application for Vegas Pro and Resolve users is to simply add the support to transcode DNxHD in MOV format! Vegas Pro can already output that format, so why Catalyst Prepare can't do the same?

I don't really need Catalyst Prepare to prepare my footage for editing in Vegas Pro .. I can just import the camera files directly into Vegas Pro and work natively, and that is one of the most important feature of Vegas Pro .. Why would I need to introduce extra steps in the workflow to edit in Vegas?

You mentioned that I should by a Mac, I would consider it if Vegas Pro works in Mac!

Basically Catalyst Prepare defeats the main purpose with Sony's own software, Vegas Pro!! It is like the people who created Catalyst Prepare forgot or don't care that many loyal Sony customers still use Vegas Pro! That is why "Sony is Going Downhill"

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

ushere wrote on 3/28/2016, 4:37 AM
i've been using prepare to convert my ex1 mp4's to sony mxf and then using these intermediaries quite happily between resolve, vegas, and ae.

i played with both dnxhd and other codecs, but to all intents and purposes mxf looks as good, smart renders, and seems as fast, if not faster overall at every stage...
aboammar wrote on 3/28/2016, 8:44 AM
Can you please elaborate? What exactly is the format output you chose in Prepare when transcoding?

HP Z1 AIO Workstation G3

OldSmoke wrote on 3/28/2016, 8:53 AM
I would choose Sony XAVC-Intra which is 422 and Vegas can read and maintain the 422 in a 32bit project but I am not sure if Resolve can read those files.

Proud owner of Sony Vegas Pro 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 & 13 and now Magix VP15&16.

System Spec.:
Motherboard: ASUS X299 Prime-A

Ram: G.Skill 4x8GB DDR4 2666 XMP

CPU: i7-9800x @ 4.6GHz (custom water cooling system)
GPU: 1x AMD Vega Pro Frontier Edition (water cooled)
Hard drives: System Samsung 970Pro NVME, AV-Projects 1TB (4x Intel P7600 512GB VROC), 4x 2.5" Hotswap bays, 1x 3.5" Hotswap Bay, 1x LG BluRay Burner

PSU: Corsair 1200W
Monitor: 2x Dell Ultrasharp U2713HM (2560x1440)

ushere wrote on 3/28/2016, 5:37 PM
either 35mb hd or 50mb hd422 depending on post requirements.

did try xavc some time ago but resolve wasn't happy with it iirc.
Laurence wrote on 3/28/2016, 7:50 PM
[I]>i've been using prepare to convert my ex1 mp4's to sony mxf and then using these intermediaries quite happily between resolve, vegas, and ae.

i played with both dnxhd and other codecs, but to all intents and purposes mxf looks as good, smart renders, and seems as fast, if not faster overall at every stage...[/I]

I just want to confirm that you are smart-rendering between ex1 mp4 and mxf formats rather than re-rendering.

I know that you can smart-render ex1 mp4 to XDcam mxf in Vegas. Is the conversion in Catalyst Prepare also smart-rendering?
Laurence wrote on 3/28/2016, 7:52 PM
[I]>Where does Catalyst Prepare fall in your workflow? Can Vegas edit your native camera files?[/I]

Donald T: You aren't by chance the guy running for president are you? ;-)
Former user wrote on 3/28/2016, 8:20 PM
LOL. Wouldn't mind the money, but don't want the fame.
ushere wrote on 3/28/2016, 8:32 PM
i presume so - much too fast for rerending.

i could be wrong though ;-(