Tracks

UKharrie wrote on 7/18/2016, 6:19 AM
SMSv12.
I have re-visited a (dot)vf file created a few weeks ago. All is present and correct. However, I've been given another MP4 file with both Video and Audio in sync.
For some reason, when I ( select LH panel ) add Video Track, it doesn't add an Audio track ( this behaviour I've seen before ). SO I select an Audio track and "Add Audio track" . . . .
. . . . I now have unused Audio and Video tracks - as you'd expect.. . . .
Importing new Media I put the Video onto the newly-created track - BUT the audio insists on being on-top-of another audio track. ( Maybe I can understand this as I haven't found how to "Associate" Audio and Video tracks . . . they just do it themselves.

However, if I move the audio to the newly-created track ( which is clear of other media) . . . . it also moves the Video track upwards - so this is no-longer on an unused track. Grr!

Try as I might I cannot get the "new" Video and Audio files to sit on the new tracks I have created - it's like trying to push to N-pole magnets together!

Reading "Help" ( as usual) tells you about the things that are already obvious, Like:- Volume(=Gain), Colour, Name, Pan, etc. . . . these are fairly easy to discern anyway . . .
But why is creating a new Audio + Video track (pair) so difficult?

I cannot imagine using "Insert" ( Screen Top) would be any different . . . surely inserting another PAIR of tracks must be more-useful than anything else ?. . . . although in previous years it's only been Audio that I've added ( So never noticed this omission ).

I have noticed that to add a TEXT track, you have to pretend it's Video - so these can be used for either . . . . but "Audio tracks" can only be used for Audio - I wonder why this is so, since the tracks look the same, with the same/similar Controls ( on LH panel).

So, how do I get the new media (Pair) to behave?

Thanks . . . .

Comments

vkmast wrote on 7/18/2016, 7:37 AM
Tip: online Help (F1) > Index > Arranging tracks
UKharrie wrote on 7/18/2016, 7:55 AM
Er, thanks . . . I did read the Entry as you'd suggested it . . . but it quickly runs out of hints . . . what I want is to be able to force the new Media into the tracts I've provided . . it doesn't like them and wants to escape onto tracks that are separated - with another Media track in-between.
I can be put Media onto the New Video track . . . but then the associated Audio goes elsewhere.... "at will", it seems.
Sadly it's not "Arranging" I need . . . I can move them about, change colour, etc . . . ( even without using F1 Help) . . . .
I can find no "Associate" Feature ( Nor "Linking" as Alternative), that forces the new VID/AUD onto tracks that I've just added..... it appears the second ( eg. Audio tracks) piece of Media just finds its own way . . . for reasons I don't ( YET ) comprehend.
vkmast wrote on 7/18/2016, 8:11 AM
Drag the audio track you insert right below the video track you insert and you have a pair.
Best of luck.
UKharrie wrote on 7/18/2016, 8:44 AM
I had done that, but still the video refuses to get close. It just would not occupy tracks that were touching . . .

Just Now
I fixed this by having the rogue track (one Audio I'd created,) then with the "new" tracks either side - When I "Deleted Track" the two came together . . . . er, thanks for that.

I'm wondering if it's something to do with the invisible boundary between Video and Audio tracks . . . but can't take the time to follow up, just yet. . . . . maybe with a new project?